Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
View Poll Results: How do you want the For Sale Section to work?
Leave it as it is
23.75%
Make For Sale General FOC
76.25%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

FOR SALE FORUMS - The way forward

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2004, 04:23 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FOR SALE FORUMS - The way forward

Hi All

It is clear that, while the majority of the things we all discussed and on the whole agreed with, have been accepted as positive by the majority, the one major sticking point may be the for sale section.

In all honesty, I was uncomfortable with this myself, as it is the first time we have EVER actually removed a service from scoobynet and ask for a fee.

All other features are additional to what was there before, which I am completely comfortable with.

It is possible, however, that the majority prefer it the way it is now.. I really don't know. So this is your chance to vote one way or another.

Leave it as it is now
All for sale forums will be subscription only

For Sale General is FOC as before
Make For Sale General forum free to all.

All the best

Simon
Old 05 February 2004, 04:44 PM
rb5037
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did not vote as this option is not their to vote on.
__________________________________________________ ______________________

The one thing that appears to have gotten most peoples backs up (and possiibly a tendency to drive them away from this BBS) is the For Sale forum

Before the change the site was free, now you have taken away one of the big factors for coming onto the site, everything else is still free that was available previously

I think someone even mentioned that it was ok to have members only forums, as long as they were in addition to what people already have, but DO NOT take anything away from anyone

When you do this you alienate a lot of people, I have become a plus member, so have quite a few other people, many havent, and will not do either

I personally believe that the for sale forum should be free to all, as this is what we had earlier, or at least allow free posting to the general for sale, and keep the cars & parts to members

People who dont subscribe will have to put up with almost the original for sale forum (and still free), whereas the members can have the two other for sale forums, where content will be better controlled, and not as chaotic
Copied from another post

Hope you don't mind steve/sonic

Great idea!

People who dont subscribe will have to put up with almost the original for sale forum (and still free), whereas the members can have the two other for sale forums, where content will be better controlled, and not as chaotic

Last edited by rb5037; 05 February 2004 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05 February 2004, 05:07 PM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Make everything in Private Classifieds FOC, is this an option?

It will work for the members if it's left the way it is just now, but FOC.
Old 05 February 2004, 05:11 PM
Krade
Scooby Regular

Why have an either or option, Surley the best result would have been to make For sale FOC and split it in to:

Cars for sale
Parts for sale
General items for sale

This is all we wanted way back when....

Last edited by Krade; 05 February 2004 at 05:13 PM. Reason: crappy grammer
Old 05 February 2004, 05:13 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Hi Scoty

In an ideal world that would be great. But the realities of the costs of running the site are still realities. We just want to meet everyone half way here.

All the best

Simon
Old 05 February 2004, 05:14 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

General for sale free which makes it the same as SN2 then members get the seperate ones
Old 05 February 2004, 05:19 PM
dome
Scooby Regular

How about a chare for selling things over a certain value? Its hardly fair for someone selling bits worth a few quid paying the same as someone selling a car worth say £20k?
Old 05 February 2004, 05:20 PM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Ok Simon cheers,

I'm happy to post in General if it's FOC, dont see the need to have a separate paid for subscribers forum when parts will sell just as well in General.
Old 05 February 2004, 05:22 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

S.B. makes sense to me
Old 05 February 2004, 05:23 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Hi Scoty

Are you aware that, as a plus member, you can post in any forum? Just making sure.

The reason for the other forums is to give more airtime to the items for sale. In the for sale forum as it was, threads dissapeared off the page within minutes. This is the need for splitting them up.

I think we will need to have a better rule regarding BTT also... but that discussion can come later.

Cheers

Simon
Old 05 February 2004, 05:25 PM
redeye
Scooby Regular

i think it should be foc,but as iv just paid £25 i dont really care.

redeye
Old 05 February 2004, 05:27 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Not a problem RB

Looks like I have finally said something that makes sense

Steve
Old 05 February 2004, 05:28 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

We can't do a "over a certain value" thing as it would be impossible to administer. Remember, that there is no limit to the number of things you can advertise once you've paid for your month / yearly subscription. If you only have one thing for sale, and it doesn't warrant the £5 charge, then (assuming the voting continues as it currently is) you can use the for sale general forum.

If it's not worth £5 to you, to sell, surely it's not the end of the world that you have to use the for sale general forum?

Cheers

Simon
Old 05 February 2004, 05:32 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

Is there no way with the VBullitin software that you can either enable it so that it will only allow 20 adverts (eg) to be placed in that section per week or even after a week it gets cleared out, and starts again?
Or maybe there is a way to limit users to 1 ad per week by way of some kind of online points system i.e each user gets 1 point each week enabling them to post only 1 ad and any responses from the seller have to be done via email, but still allowing potential buyers to reply on the board.

Probably a crap idea, but just a thought

Phil
Old 05 February 2004, 05:37 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Personally I don't have a problem with the way it is now. Some would argue this is due to me being a plus member, but it';s not, I hardly used for sale when I was not a plus member.

I feel, that unfortunately, unless it's turned back to completley FOC, people will not be 100 percent satisfied with things.

How do people expect SN to make money and continue running? I'm not sure how much revenue the Banner ads bring in TBH.

Look, if you have some bits, stump up a fiver for a months membership, what's the problem with that? the parts are going to cost more than a fiver, right?

Last edited by Markus; 05 February 2004 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05 February 2004, 05:39 PM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Hi Simon,

Yes I know about the other forums too, but I dont usually go in there to be honest.
Like redeye said, I'm not too bothered either about already paying the £25 (only bought so I could post in for sale, should possibly have went for the £15 option but not to worry) if it's helping with the bills!!

If you made General FOC again, it will probably be the exact same, theads will still dissapear very quickly as the majority of posts are going to be put in there, so I'm not sure if just making for sale general FOC is going to help?
Old 05 February 2004, 05:48 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

One other thing...

I have seen it mentioned that people originally came on SN just to use the nice free for sale system then stayed, and this is stopping those people.

Personally I don't have a problem with this being stopped. If you're only purpose is to pop on and sell bits then you can go somewhere else and sell them if you don't want to pay.

If the general section does become free then there must be no cars for sale in there, and possibly only allow users with 100 posts to post for free, this would stop people just coming on to post stuff for sale and then never returning.

Bit harsh possibly, but it's a possible solution.

My thoughts are if the whole For Sale section goes FOC, then what benefits do the subscriptions then give SN? I know we don't like it. but revenue needs to be generated somewhere, it's a simple fact.

Think for a moment people. Simon could have easilly turned round and said the whole BBS was going to be read only without a plus membership.

Last edited by Markus; 05 February 2004 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05 February 2004, 05:54 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Markus

That's an interesting and valid thing to pick up on. We took a decision 2 weeks ago that we did not care if a proportion of "traffic" was lost.. all we want to do is keep financially viable and support the true community. So if it stops people arriving, we have absolutely no issue with it, as long as it makes the place better and more future proof for the core community.

All the best

Simon
Old 05 February 2004, 06:16 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!

I think Markus has hit on a good idea. Realistically, are people comming on here going to post more than a hundred times to sell somthing, even if they do this it can proberly be checked with not to much trouble.
It can then be written into the membership agreement that they will benefit from the priviledge after 100 genuine posts.

simb
Old 05 February 2004, 06:27 PM
rb5037
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
If the general section does become free then there must be no cars for sale in there, and possibly only allow users with 100 posts to post for free, this would stop people just coming on to post stuff for sale and then never returning.
"Here Here!!!" <House Of Commons Style>
Old 05 February 2004, 06:35 PM
Road Rager
Scooby Regular

yeah i think thats the best idea, make it free but only for ppl who are established.

on one side i dont think you should get something for nothing, but if more ppl can advertise for sale there will be more bargains to be had by all of us!!!!
Old 05 February 2004, 06:36 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Smile Scoobs for sale should be free

I think that seperating out thecars for sale from the rest is very good, and it is what we have all been clamouring for for months.

I think that anything that is scooby related should be free - so cars for sale should be free as the majority of cars will be scoobs for sale and paying may well discourage people from offering the community their car before auto trader. If they have to pay they will probably go straight to autotrader and their wider audience.
I think it is good that we as a community get first view of the better scoobs for sale. I wouldn't like to think that the selection would be halved. As an enthusiast I would like to buy my next scoob from another enthusiast - if you see what I mean
Or could you have 'Scoobs for sale' which is free and 'Other cars' which is not

Just my thoughts
Best wishes
Steve
Old 05 February 2004, 06:39 PM
Road Rager
Scooby Regular

the prob with that is moderating it, people will just post it where they can and hope it doesnt get deleted

if you look in general there is cars for sale, and in cars for sale there is parts, lol
Old 05 February 2004, 06:41 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
One other thing...

I have seen it mentioned that people originally came on SN just to use the nice free for sale system then stayed, and this is stopping those people.

Personally I don't have a problem with this being stopped. If you're only purpose is to pop on and sell bits then you can go somewhere else and sell them if you don't want to pay.

Bit harsh possibly, but it's a possible solution.

My thoughts are if the whole For Sale section goes FOC, then what benefits do the subscriptions then give SN? I know we don't like it. but revenue needs to be generated somewhere, it's a simple fact.

Think for a moment people. Simon could have easilly turned round and said the whole BBS was going to be read only without a plus membership.

Very good idea, but maybe 50 not 100...
Old 05 February 2004, 06:42 PM
Road Rager
Scooby Regular

yeah maybe 50, ill be happy when im not called newbie anymore, lol
Old 05 February 2004, 06:46 PM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Good ideas, specialy liked anything that is scooby related should be free
Means someone who has a good offer for the community could tell us about it!!

Post counts an easy one to get round though, just spend half an hour in mupets and use up even more bandwidth

Last edited by Scoty; 05 February 2004 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05 February 2004, 06:49 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I think the point that the majority of cars will be scoobs is why it should NOT be free to post a car for sale, parts, yes, FOC, but not cars. I don't think there would be enough other marques for sale to justify scoobs being excluded.

As for the modding of it, well, that is true, however, I'd happily lend a hand to mod things in for sale to help out in this respect.

As for the number of posts, well, I was originally going to say 500, but thought that might be a bit high, and then did think of 50, but thought it too low, so settled on 100.

Hey, not my decision anyway.
Old 05 February 2004, 06:50 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

This may be bringing up a sore point, but...
I remember when I first signed up for Plus membership that one of the key benefits, as far as I was concerned, was that there was going to be a system that SN+ members could advertise bits & pieces in the shop. Basically, allow them a 'higher class of establishment' to flog stuff in .
That was put off a few times. Is action on it ever going to be reinstated?
I'm bringing it up 'cos if it were to be instated, the split up (cars, subaru-related bits & general cack) could switch to being a 'free for all', but the 'shop' would also be open, and obviously give a far better chance of getting a sale as the the system is much better organised over there. Hence a benefit remains for SN+ members, and no noses are put out of joint for the 'for sale' section, which should be much easier to use given the subsections...
?
Old 05 February 2004, 06:53 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Scoty. Good point there, however, are people really going to muppet just to post something for sale? if they do, then maybe up the limit to 500 posts before for sale is allowed, or maybe even base it on the date you registered, maybe 100 posts AND been registered for 1 week? Not sure if BBS can do that, would have thought it'd be possible but not sure.

Of course, It should be pretty easy to work out if someone has been muppeting just to then post in 'for sale' and one could delete their ad based on them contravening the rules, as I'd hope this thing would be written in the T&C's you agree to when you sign up.

Regardless, none of this would really effect existing users, unless they are trying to sell a car, it would only stop new users who are just using the site for selling things.
Old 05 February 2004, 06:56 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

I know its still in favour of the general foc but a big percentage have voted for leaving it as it is.

Quick Reply: FOR SALE FORUMS - The way forward