ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

3 more points?

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2004, 12:59 PM
cdco
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3 more points?

Driving home last night down a road I know well I got the dreaded double flash from the local GATSO. The question is will I get the NIP?

Point to note :

40 zone doing 45 to 50 ish
Camera facing towards me
no lines on my side of the road but lies on the other side for traffic going away from the camera.

Any one got any thoughts other than 'serve's you right.

Carl
Old 09 February 2004, 01:05 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

If it is a GATSO and flashes then it is designed for getting the back of the car not the front, so if you were heading towards it I supect the thing is fooked or pointing at the wrong part of the road.
Old 09 February 2004, 03:25 PM
greg.g
Scooby Regular

Location: Faster than a quickshift.... get yourself a bionic arm ;)

I thought that gatsos only worked once you had passed them travelling away.
Did you notice any cars travelling in the opposite direction on the markings would could have triggered the camera
Old 09 February 2004, 03:40 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

There is a gatso near my house that always goes off when you drive past it with your lights on, on the otherside of a dual carriage way.
Old 09 February 2004, 03:46 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

You sure it wasn't a Truvelo?...(no lines and forward facing).

GATSO only get you from behind from the same side of the road...so maybe it flashed somebody on the other side?

Either way if you have been flashed it doesn't necessarily mean points/fine as many dont have film in them.

Bob
Old 09 February 2004, 03:48 PM
scooby_frenzy
Scooby Newbie

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by cdco
Driving home last night down a road I know well I got the dreaded double flash from the local GATSO. The question is will I get the NIP?

Point to note :

40 zone doing 45 to 50 ish
Camera facing towards me
no lines on my side of the road but lies on the other side for traffic going away from the camera.

Any one got any thoughts other than 'serve's you right.

Carl

you cannot be done by a gatso facing towads you the only camera that can do that are truvelos (not radar based)

Si
Old 09 February 2004, 06:14 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!

If it was a truvelo, it has what looks like two round lenses on it with a blue outline, from what I can remember. It looks nothing like your traditional Gatso bloody money grabbing camera's.

simb

Trending Topics

Old 10 February 2004, 12:34 PM
cdco
Scooby Regular

Simb 2 it wasnt a Truvelo cos there's another one og those types on the run through Ashton to the motorway, That one doesnt have lines or any thing. This one was the usual (if slightly burnt!) grey square bow with one camera appeture and one for the radar (both square).

My main concer is that in Preston they have started putting lines on both sides of the road and some of the camera's are being enabled to get you going either way.

Thatnks for the thoughts anyway.
Old 10 February 2004, 01:02 PM
mobilecentre
Scooby Newbie

Truvelo will have 3 white lines painted closely together, Alot of them have red lenses instead of the clear ones.
Old 10 February 2004, 01:05 PM
Tentenths
Scooby Regular

Simb 2

So Truvelos aren't money grabbing!?
Old 10 February 2004, 01:08 PM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

CDCO,
The lines on the wrong side of the road are to stop you swerving to the otherside of the road to avoid the camera.
Preston / Lancashire doesn't have Truvelo cameras yet so you should be OK.

Chris
Old 10 February 2004, 01:10 PM
Roland_STI
Scooby Regular

Gatso's cannot legally get you coming towards them at night, because the double flash is potentially dangerous as it works close range and can startle you.

Same thing happened to me, flashed by a Gatso going towards it. Never heard anything, but a few weeks later they painted markings on both sides of the road and adjusted the Gatso's focus so it wasnt partly on the "wrong" side of the road. The markings on both side are to still catch drivers who speed past the camera on the wrong side of the road.
Old 10 February 2004, 01:26 PM
currymonster
Scooby Regular

I had a similar thing going towards a gatso once,and the gatso flashed just before I was next to it, no lines on my side of the road and never got a nasty letter, you should be ok,

Cal
Old 10 February 2004, 06:26 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!

Tentenths - ......and the truvelo's.

simb
Old 10 February 2004, 07:03 PM
cdco
Scooby Regular

Absoultley spiffing lads thanks for the info... Ill keep you posted if i get anything in the next 12 days!
Old 10 February 2004, 11:02 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Has someone been misbehaving?

John
Old 11 February 2004, 10:34 AM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

Thinking outloud here - I wonder if when approaching Gatso's I could do a J turn and pass the lines in reverse then execute a reverse flick once pass the lines, continuing on my merry way ?
Or should I keep just jamming on the brakes

All hypothetical of course as I don't speed

Chris
Old 11 February 2004, 11:07 AM
wideboyuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SCOOBY TOWERS
Thinking outloud here - I wonder if when approaching Gatso's I could do a J turn and pass the lines in reverse then execute a reverse flick once pass the lines, continuing on my merry way ?
Or should I keep just jamming on the brakes

All hypothetical of course as I don't speed

Chris
Now that would confuse 'em
Old 11 February 2004, 12:28 PM
cdco
Scooby Regular

Scooby towers, whilst doind your reverse fligk make sure you've for a trailer on and knock the damn thing down, I dont think they're insured so it would take a while before its replaced.... They still havent replaced the one that ended up in preston docks!
Old 11 February 2004, 12:42 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up errr!

Two things if it was a Truvelo then thier would be almost no flash! "if it's facing you" they use Magenta flash filter for front photography! Trulelo also have untits that take a rear flash pic though...!
If it was a gatso then the flash would be from behind, they have to work like this as the method the camera uses to determin the speed is based on an object passing the radar... the two flashes are required to give evidence of the speed based on the markings on the road... the flashes are timed so that the speed can be determind based on the time and the markings...
The markings on the other side of the road are either to allow the cam to be rotated or to catch people who try to drive past on the wrong side i.e overtaking...
Although the cams can pick up reflected radar from the oncoming traffic you won't get a reading or a NIP in this way!
You can see the Gatso trigger with oncoming traffic quite a bit in controflows,,,

All in all you should be

hope this helps
Dazza
Old 11 February 2004, 01:14 PM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

Edited for the CORNER
cdco,
There's more than one in Preston Docks

Last edited by SCOOBY TOWERS; 11 February 2004 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11 February 2004, 01:56 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Wink

I nail it past a gatso most days going towards it - they put one on the perfect overtaking place for miles on the main A road middle of nowhere leading into our town - so the muppets see it - slow right down - I nail it past them... they must think I have big ***** - remember most drivers dont realise that the camera wont 'get them' if you are facing it - they've all been brainwashed into 'ooh! big bad camera - must do 20mph - in a 60'.....NOT I usually pass them doing *cough* speeds....

The other reason they paint lines on both sides of the road is to fool muppet drivers into thinking that the camera can get them going both ways - the amount of people who think that is untrue..... its all about mind control.

Another point is in most of the cameras you can see whether it has the camera in - esp. at night - you can markedly see the glint from the lens as you pass, the ones that wind me up are the obviously empty shell ones - i.e not even a flash unit! and drivers still they creep past well under the limit....durrrr - get out of my way plebs

I appreciate the distinctive truvelo cameras are an exception

n.b all this is my own opinion - dont like - dont read it - its a free country - or is it......?
Old 11 February 2004, 03:22 PM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

Dr Hu,
You can report any camera placed in a non saftey enviroment to the goverment and they will investigate if its required.
Think the one you pass on the straight maybe an ideal candidate, but be aware, fiddling paperwork to make the road a "saftey concern" is easier than removing a £40k camera

Just my opion of course

Chris
Old 11 February 2004, 03:45 PM
SUBAMAN300+
Scooby Newbie

Does that mean there is not form of 'radar detector' that works for Truvelos and you have to either spot it first or have a road angel or similar to warn you it is ahead ?

How do Truvelos actually measure speed then please?
Old 11 February 2004, 04:28 PM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

Time over distance.
There are two or more cameras. The first records your number plate and the second records how long it took for that number plate to cover a known distance. Do it to quickly and expect a tax form, er sorry - fine - on your doorstep.

Chris
Old 11 February 2004, 04:41 PM
gutter-rat
Scooby Regular

I thought the ones that used two cameras over a set distance were "spec's"
Im confused now about the truvelo issue & there is Feckin' loads of them all over bedfordshire!
Old 11 February 2004, 04:45 PM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

OOPs - Specs - Truvelo - Gatso -There all the same to me
But as I posted B4 - I don't speed so I've nothing to worry about (Honest Officer)

Chris
Old 11 February 2004, 04:47 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Time over distance.
There are two or more cameras. The first records your number plate and the second records how long it took for that number plate to cover a known distance
Sounds more like SPECS to me. Truvelos work on pietzo strips in the road - the 3 little white lines you see just before them. The time to cross those is measured and if it calculates you are travelling too fast it takes a digital (rather than silver halide) photo.

SPECS are rife in Nottingham, these involve 2 or more cameras over a measured distance, they tend to be high up, bit lower than street lights and then on an arm over the road. Camera with a couple of "outrigger" affairs. These read ALL the number plates of cars going past. The next camera then checks them against the time recorded by the first. If your AVERAGE (as that's all it can work out) speed exceeds the limit, you automatically get a NIP. The interesting point here is, that if there is a side stree half way between the cameras you can pass the first at any speed you like and turn off and as the second camera never gets your number plate it can't work out an average speed. Likewise if you get held up in traffic or on a pedestrian crossing as so often happens in Nottingham, your average speed has dropped right down and you can boot it for the rest of the way.
Old 11 February 2004, 07:11 PM
cdco
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Seem to have started something here. You may all like to look at this site

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/frames.htm

Its got some intresting info including the ACPO Speed Enforcement Guidelines and pickies of the threats, its also some total dros like radar absorbent car wax... how i laughed when i saw that one!
Old 11 February 2004, 09:49 PM
Strider
Scooby Regular

Should be Ok as others have said..................Time for a Road Angel????

Quick Reply: 3 more points?