Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2004, 05:02 PM
kanndi
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Sportwagon Impreza

Hi,

All new here so forgive the very dodgy first post

Me and the wifey have been getting into Jap cars in a big way. **** end of last year we bought a Skyline and with a baby on the way, we are looking to sell on our current small hatchback and buy an Impreza to go alongside the Skyline.

Now because you need an artic lorry to transport all the baby gear round, I thought about buying a Sportwagon over the normal saloon.

Now, I've got roughly a £4000 budget, what sort of Sportwagon would I be able to buy for this, ideally looking for a Turbo and less than 10 years old.

I also don't mind if it's an import.

Can anyone give me any tips or things I should be weary of with this model. I think I'm convinced it's a smart move, but I'd like to be re-assured

Appreciate any help

Cheers

Darren
Old 10 February 2004, 05:18 PM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

Earlier imports have less power than more recent WRX/STI wagons, 240bhp I think.

Wagons are noisier if you have a non-standard exhaust; my PE twin backbox scares the life out of my retriever when he's in the back.

Make sure the pram/buggy you intend to buy fits in the back.
That was my only proviso when I bought my UK '99.
Shouldn't be a problem with most models which have a separate
chassis and pram top.

Other than that, it's probably more practical than the 4dr on the
supermarket run; since you can pile to nappies to above the level of the
parcel shelf cover.
Old 10 February 2004, 05:25 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

If you don't mind imports then try wrx.co.uk

They mainly sell saloons, but as they imports impreza's they should be able to import a sportwagon.
Old 10 February 2004, 06:05 PM
Dazzling
Scooby Newbie

Take a look at my recent post m8.

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/showt...53#post3040153

I too bought a wagon because my Lexus (whilst a superb car which i am sad to sell) had a stupid sized boot opening and so was impracticle for the pram and all other ****e that gets carried by missus too!

Wagon is in space terms a cross bewteen an estate and hatchback.

i drove a WRX wagon before buying a UK MY98 model wagon. TBH i noticed no difference in peformance and my UK model has E/W, A/C, E/Sunroof, E/Mirrors so i am not sure what i am missing out on. I understand that the WRX wagon (import) is only 220BHP unlike the 240BHP of WRX saloons. So by my calcs is only 12BHP higher than standard 208BHP of UK wagon.

Main reason for not getting a WRX was extra 15-20% on price of cars at same age, extra £350 a year insurance and my UK model could be insured without a tracker (by Liverpool & Victoria).

Have fun!

Dazzling

Last edited by Dazzling; 10 February 2004 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10 February 2004, 07:09 PM
SilverTurboWagon
Scooby Regular

I've just bought a MY00 turbo Wagon. It's great for the Dog/MTB etc. It's got an STi zorst and really isn't 'that' loud inside. Just a bit boomy at about 1200rpm, but who tools around like that?

Great drive. Best fast wagon out there (bang for buck anyhow).
Old 10 February 2004, 07:16 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

If it's for family transport, are you into the "safety" thing?

The bug/blob eyes are better built if it comes to running in to things or having things run into you. You won't get one for £4K though.

Will you be doing your own maintenance?

Jeremy.
Old 10 February 2004, 09:51 PM
DEC14N
Scooby Regular

Although i cannot offer any of the technical advice like some of the other guys here i'd like to say I got a MY96 turbo wagon just over a month ago and i love it. Its great fun yet so practical. Its first job was to take 3 kids bikes to halfords so much easier in the scoob than trying to jam them all in a VW polo as i did before xmas! Hope you find what you want
Old 10 February 2004, 10:16 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

It still amazes me how much stuff my MY98'll take.
I play guitar in a band and do the odd session. Therefore the car tends to get pretty full of guitar stuff on a regular basis.
It's never failed to impress
Old 11 February 2004, 10:23 AM
kanndi
Scooby Newbie

Default Cool

Cheers for all the info everyone, there's a lot to think about, but I'm glad others have made the choice and are happy with what they have.

It's funny you mention a pram, we bought one at the weekend and it just about fits in the boot of the skyline . I'm not a crazy driver though, I just don't want to conform and buy a Volvo or Vauxhall like everyone else, having an Impreza estate is something a bit more special

Cheers

Darren
Old 11 February 2004, 11:42 AM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

general big up for the wagon here too i am on my second one and it is a very practical vehicle which just happens to go like **** off the proverbial as well.

it gets used for work and carting the misses and baby to wales and backwith ease.

I took it on honey moon to ireland and gave a lift to two american friends from the wedding party to dublin from porthmadog.
i managed to shove 4 people and their luggage in.
It was so packed the two american freinds had half there luggage on their knees and it drove as if there was no weight in there at all
Old 11 February 2004, 02:59 PM
bits'n'pieces
Scooby Regular

Looking at auto trader there are a few K reg cars going at about 4500 to 5000, so I doubt you'll get a good car for £4000 I'm afraid. (K reg being 92 = 11 years old)

Paul
Old 11 February 2004, 03:03 PM
Dazzling
Scooby Newbie

My advice....keep looking.

I got a MY98 wagon (UK turbo) for £5500 with 80k miles. Quoted £330 to touch up few scratches and respray bumpers which just a bit scruffy. So thats £5830...a good deal i like to think.

I did loook at a MY94 WRX import at £3950 and it was in v.good condition. Just i think pre97 interiors are a bit naff.

Dazzling

Originally Posted by bits'n'pieces
Looking at auto trader there are a few K reg cars going at about 4500 to 5000, so I doubt you'll get a good car for £4000 I'm afraid. (K reg being 92 = 11 years old)

Paul
Old 11 February 2004, 03:10 PM
Mortywrx
Scooby Regular

I got my MY95 UK turbo wagon for £4000 and it just needed abit of tidying on the out side, but ive fully facelifted now anyway.
The rear tailgate was not working i.e. c/l and heated screen but soon sorted that...any way ive seen afew out there and they have been decent buys. Just keep looking for the right one fella.

Darren
Old 12 February 2004, 05:10 PM
kanndi
Scooby Newbie

Blimey, quite a few Darren's on here

I'm happy to wait a little while longer to see if the right one comes along, there's a Jap service garage nearby so if I need any small jobs done I can pop it down to them, but at the moment I can't stretch anymore than £4000.

Have kept an eye on Autotrader, there's one or two which fit with my budget, but they are non-turbo's, how does that affect performance, acceleration, etc?

Cheers

Darren
Old 12 February 2004, 07:40 PM
Dazzling
Scooby Newbie

So funny....my nickname is Dazzling although real name is Darren too!!

You would get a much newer non turbo but as far as performance goes its like comparing a tortoise and a hare.

You will defo get a MY94/95 WRX wagon for 4K...one i saw was in Halifax although an automatic.

Don't give up!
Old 12 February 2004, 08:25 PM
nsld
Scooby Regular

You could look at a Legacy GTB import.

I have a wagon and my two year old kicks the crap out of the seat in front of her unless I pull it all the way forward and put it upright. This would be a problem for the person in that seat. I overcame this by being single but that may not work for you!

The Legacy has a lot more room and its still very quick and pretty cheap as well.

The advantage of the extra power of a turbo is that when my daughter says "go daddy" we can really go!