ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Well Lane Vs Powerstation figures

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2004, 05:04 PM
currymonster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Well Lane Vs Powerstation figures

Well I opened a can of worms before on the Well lane thread - oops! I have had a car roaded at each location, a GTIR at powerstation, and an MY 00 UK turbo at Well Lane, but not the same car at the same place so I can't really comment from experience in that way.

Anyone got any imput as to wether Well Lane MIGHT slightly optimistic and powerstation MIGHT be slightly conservative?

This is a discussion and not a statement of fact, just a bit of fun really.

Well Lane and Powerstation are both well repected DYNO experts as is widely publicised in this community.

I thought I had seen several references on here in the past hinting at the above possible power reading differences but I could be wrong. Any comments welcome (except those questioning my parentage!).

Cal
Old 10 February 2004, 05:09 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

My old Lotus Elise with just a Lotus sport cat replacement and sport silencer ran 6 bhp over standard quoted power at Powerstation

Bang on IMHO

Old 10 February 2004, 05:09 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I averaged the MY99 and 00 decat and not results are Star, PS, PE and Well Lane previously. There were up to 20% differences on albeit small samples of very similar spec of car.
Old 10 February 2004, 05:20 PM
Carl2
Scooby Regular

My standard gtir ran spot on factory figure at Well lane and up 19bhp with a filter and exhaust fitted.
Old 10 February 2004, 06:21 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

my old veccy diesel ran a extra 9bhp at well lane with a 0.2 bar boost increase and sum induction mods

my nigh on standerd engined 276 wrx made 281bhp @ well lane with the boost set @ 1.05bar
never used the rest, sorry
Old 10 February 2004, 06:27 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Richard - not having a go, but the Elise is 2 wheel drive. Isn't it very possible that the 2wd rollers will be more conservitive (or more optimisitic) than the 4wd rollers at the same location?

Definitely true that equivalent cars seem to give a lower reading at power station than power engineering. I also know of a couple of cars who went from G-force to PE in consecutive weeks, and virtually all of them "lost" around 10bhp in that week, so G-force seems more optimistic than PE, which seems more optimistic than PS. I don't really know well lane other than third hand knowledge.

Edit to add - doesn't really matter though. Roller figures are good pub talk, and you can get OKish comparisons of 2 cars if they're measured on the same day at the same rollers. It's whether you're happy with how the car runs on the road that matters. I believe it's entirely possible to map a car to give better figures on the rollers than the same car mapped specifically for road use - but which would you rather drive every day?

Last edited by hades; 10 February 2004 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10 February 2004, 07:43 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

I have used Well Lane regularly and have run on many other 4WD dynos throughout the country. My interest in the dyno is to compare previous results against modifications done. It is also necessary to log ambient temperature, throttle body temperature, barometric pressure and R.H. for the results to be meaningful. Some R.R. facilities automatically convert the result back to standard pressure and temperatures so you need to know that too.
Last year I went to Well Lane at 08:30 one Friday morning and got 472bhp with cool ambient temps and low throttle body temps. That afternoon when the temperature was a good bit higher I ran at G-Force and got 450.2 bhp. During the W.L. run the initial T.B. temp had come down which was good. At G-Force, where the run was done in third gear the T.B. temp was rising. On the Saturday I was at Power Engineering for a Southern R.R. Shootout. Again it was a warm day and the car was put on the rollers a second time after cooling down. Result was 442 bhp from memory and the T.B. temps were high and rising.
Now from all that and the observations made at the time and from other experiences I have, I concluded that the results from each set of rollers were similar. The induction temperature alone has a big effect on power output. I also think that comparing readings for different cars on different rolling roads on different days is a totally futile exercise. The results for individual cars at rolling road shootouts will only reflect their performance at that time and some cars will perform poorly in relation to their on road ability simply because they cannot pull the same boost on the rollers. Cars running early in the day may also have an advantage if the ambient temperature soars during the day.

A further observation. I have previously run at Star and then gone to Well Lane without any alterations and got a lesser result from Well Lane and on another occasion I got a lesser result at Well Lane than G-Force. Similarly, on Sunday Richie W. (not Rich Wild) was disappointed with the results from his Evo which were less than he had from his recent visit to G-Force. This reinforces my belief that comparing results from different rolling roads on different days has little relevance and it is totally unsatisfactory for certain people to claim that Well Lane reads high when they have no direct knowledge of the facility or have not put the effort into gathering adequate information to make a sound judgement.

Trending Topics

Old 10 February 2004, 07:48 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

I've only had my car done at Powerstation and it was about 5BHP up on standard (just decat center) which sounds about right to me.

Other ppl were running STI8 PPPs and P1s with slightly less than anticipated...

Andy
Old 10 February 2004, 07:49 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

harvey

so you think it is infact better to get one result and not bother trying elsewhere afterwards?
Old 10 February 2004, 07:57 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Don't think that at all. Not quite sure why you would think that.
Old 10 February 2004, 08:00 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

sorry bud. just when you mention, it really comes down to temperatures, your never gonna be lucky enough to have two different test the same. same temperatures i mean, like all the ones one mention in your post?
Old 10 February 2004, 08:24 PM
greg.g
Scooby Regular

Location: Faster than a quickshift.... get yourself a bionic arm ;)

Last october at powerstation my car registered 238bhp.

Exactly the same set up a power engingeering last month gave 255bhp.

Similar weather on both occasions.
Old 10 February 2004, 11:04 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

My STi My03 PPP ran 313 bhp and it actualy felt stronger that morning... I filled it with SUL rather than the normal optimax for once! it was the first run ive done with the car so wasn't sure what to expect. The Touque figure was low though 280lbft, not sure why this was... On a whole happy with the figure it did feel better mainly due to the fact my nuts were freezing off I suppose... The colder the better for Forced ID motors.

Any ideas on the torque figure anyone?

Dazza

Greets to Harvey... I saw him coming into Batley as we were leaving... the Missuse and Bin Lid were freezing!