Shift points for un-modded MY03 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2004, 09:03 PM
benjai
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shift points for un-modded MY03 WRX

Anyone worked them out properly?

I think I know when I nail a gearchange, but there seems to be a very wide rev range over which the response is forgiving. That is, there must be an absolutely optimum rev speed at which you should change for best acceleration (different in each gear obviously), but it seems that there is a broad range over which you can get to about 95%.

Has anyone got the definitive list for each gearchange, or alternatively the torque/power curve in numerical format so that I can work them out for myself.

Just curious really, not a serious racer (depends on what is next to me at the lights!)
Old 20 February 2004, 09:07 PM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

purely from a non-racing, non-experienced Scooby-newbie..

I think about 6k is spot on, possibly a little more. 6k seems to drop it back down well in the 4's, which seems about right.

Course, 1st gear always screams, so maybe a little lower on that (and 2nd has quite good pickup anyway)

And 5th doesn't have good pull in any gear, so just keep it in 4th until you have to.

I get to about 80 in 3rd, not sure if you can manage 60 in 2nd.
Old 20 February 2004, 09:45 PM
benjai
Scooby Regular

Interesting.

My feeling is that it is quicker to drop back to around 4000 rpm, rather than say 4500. The sense I get is that there is more torque across the range from 4 to 5500 than from 4500 to 6000. Maybe I'm wrong, but that is how it feels. The revs at which you shift of course also depend on the speed of the shift, and any lag in the tacho readout. I think I am basically shifting at around 5500 (unless I am really pushing it and trying to delay the shift) and that this gives near optimum acceleration. Of course, 1st is a nutty gear anyway, and I generally short-shift 4th as it's well into being illegal by then - in fact, when I'm just pootling about I avoid 4th altogether!

It is interesting to compare the response to a car with the complete opposite in terms of power/torque. I sometimes drive dad's Cobra (kit before you ask!) which weigha about 900kgs and has 3.5ltr V8 power. This will pull away in 2nd easily (with almost no revs) even on hills, and has so much torque (and no weight) that you only ever need to use 2nd and 5th.

It would still be useful to get hold of the dyno traces in excel or similar.....

Anyone???????
Old 21 February 2004, 11:26 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

This graph shows power & torque for the MY03 in standard spec & with PPP power enhancement.You will still need to know how the gear ratios drop the revs for each gear so you can keep it in the "sweet spot".But at least its a start.

Mark
Old 23 February 2004, 06:39 PM
benjai
Scooby Regular

Cheers m8,

S'pose I'll have to print it out big and get to work with a pencil. Now where did I leave that geometry set I had at school............. (I really should get out more)