ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Do scoobs get nicked easily?

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2004, 12:23 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do scoobs get nicked easily?

Coming to live in the UK soon and thinking of getting a scoob. Have been told though that they get nicked all the time. Is this a real concern?
Old 21 February 2004, 12:27 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

not easily for the commen scroate, the ones that do get nicked are almost certainly done by pros so, to answer your question

they dont get stolen easily (unless lifted onto a trailer, thats pretty easy)
but they can be stolen regulary (there is fooken millions out there now lol)

commen sense where you park and stuff, pays dividends

hey i went into a local shop yesterday and when i parked up the bloke next to me got out of his laguna, left the engine running and spent a good 5 mins in the shop
Old 21 February 2004, 01:25 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Roojai
Coming to live in the UK soon and thinking of getting a scoob. Have been told though that they get nicked all the time. Is this a real concern?
Really depends on where you live aswell. Unfortunatley these cars are favoured by criminals as getaway cars.

Been held up at gunpoint in mine (by a gang preping for bank job)...mind you with modern cars being harder and harder to steal, theives are turning to stealing keys from houses and car-jacking. There is a risk with most modern cars.

Bob
Old 21 February 2004, 01:58 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Think you need to take a step back and look at the whole picture....it's not JUST scoobies, it's ANY high value or desirable fast car. Scoobs just fit in both catorgories in terms of steel to strip, for getaway cars, and by joyriders.

Standard Scooby security systems on early models are pathetic, and even non-existent on Japanease Imports. But I can gaurantee you that there are very few scoobies out there without some form of anti-theft security device fitted, mainly because of the insurance companies demanding that they must be fitted. Add to that the mass paranoia that comes with these cars as standard

You main area of worry is either car jacking, threatened for the keys, or they break in your house/office specifically for the keys. Common sense prevails.
Old 21 February 2004, 05:42 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
not easily for the commen scroate, the ones that do get nicked are almost certainly done by pros so, to answer your question

they dont get stolen easily (unless lifted onto a trailer, thats pretty easy)
but they can be stolen regulary (there is fooken millions out there now lol)

commen sense where you park and stuff, pays dividends

hey i went into a local shop yesterday and when i parked up the bloke next to me got out of his laguna, left the engine running and spent a good 5 mins in the shop
He hadn't left the obligatory cash on the seat. Theives have to be paid to take a laguna. That or he was scared the card-reader would mess up AGAIN!

Andy
Old 22 February 2004, 01:43 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

i remember about 10 years ago i was working in london and when i walked out of the hotel there was a "lagonda" in front of me with the engine running and no one about the driver had wandered into the hotel for something and at the time this little chappy was worth about £100k
Old 22 February 2004, 10:17 PM
Danbo
Scooby Regular

There are an awful lot of Scoobs out there........which may be why it seems that there are a lot stolen. As mentioned before, any high power or desirable car is at risk.

The common sense comment about security above is about right......dont make it easy and it wont be.