ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Is it possible its not Optimax?

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2004, 03:49 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Is it possible its not Optimax?

A garage local to me changed from BP to Shell about a month ago. I don't go there too often as they are 4p more expensive than a Shell garage I pass every Sunday.

However, I have filled up there twice and both times its seems my car uses alot more fuel and after some heavy usage my Knocklink finally confirmed that it was working!

I haven't noticed any drop in power but seems odd that it uses more fuel and give knock acitivity whereas stopping at the other Shell garage for fuel I see no knock activity and the usual MPG figures of Optimax.

My car is 00 with de-cat K&N panel and ECUTEK2.

I'm all but sure its just me but it makes me wonder how do I know it is Optimax I'm putting in my car.
Old 23 February 2004, 05:32 PM
ScoobyDuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

am in the same situation - sounds like my local (ONLY) Shell is shutting & going BP. everyone who is everyone has tried BP and all confirm that it is not as good and it exhibits more activity on the KL.

my advise would be to keep shell, if u can - or add octaine booster to BP.

Steve
Old 23 February 2004, 05:56 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

My dad used to run Shell garages in the 70-80's and he often had to complain about their fuel only just meeting RON requirements. Their 4star was usually only just, and very nearly 3star. He was told never to mention this to customers, even when their cars were being fixed in his garage. On visits to the depots, and in conversations with delivery tanker drivers he often witnessed other companies tankers filling up, and knew of Shell tankers filling at non-Shell depots.

Shell are far from perfect, but are the best we've got I'm afraid.
Old 24 February 2004, 12:46 AM
spufus
Scooby Regular

I friend of mine who races bikes told me that optimax can "go off" in the tank if it's left for a while. Maybe the garage does not sell much and so the fuel stays in their tanks longer and so goes off?
Just a thought.
Old 24 February 2004, 09:20 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Just seems odd that every time I put Optimax in from this garage it just doesn't seem the same. Originally the garage only had one SUL pump when it was BP. Now it has two Optimax pumps, one where the SUL used to be the other where normal UL was.

At first I only went to the pump that was SUL in case they had just "topped up" the remaining SUL with OPTI. However, I have also tried the other pump and it would appear to be the same.

As for it sitting in the tank, I don't know. The garage has only been Shell for about a month and it is the only place in a 5 to 10 mile radius that has any form of SUL. Its horrific watching those who have imports fill up with Safeway own UL!