ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Great cars pity about the dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2004, 11:29 PM
Bryan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Great cars pity about the dealerships

Well it a sorry state. sold my beloved 2000my turbo last November because of an addition to the famliy reqiuring more space. Oh and also due to the fact that Subaru uk closed all the dealerships in my area and could'nt / would'nt tell me when or if another one was to be appointed. Any how to cut a long story short bought a Audi A4 avant 1.8t sport, found it had a water ingress (leak into vehicle) and refuse it with less than 1000k on the clock. dealership could'nt be more helpful and are replacing the vehicle FOC (12 weeks delivery).
Feeling a bit peed with the A4 and surprise surprise Subaru have now opened a dealership in the area I decided to see if I could swoop the yet to arrive A4 for a STi (with roof rack to please the wife).
Have now made two (2) visits to the new dealership first spent about 20min looking round showroom, and today having received a letter from subaru with a form to return to the dealership I spent about 30min looking into a Sti.
Guess what, A office of FOUR (4) salesman sat chatting and not one approched me.
After about 10min the lady on reception ask if she could help so I told her that I had filled in my form from Subaru and she looked at me as if I had two heads.
She directed me to the service desk who took the form but was'nt aware why I'd been sent it.

Top of J D power's customer service list !!!. I think not

Ahh well the A4 it is then.
Old 23 February 2004, 11:48 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

A lot of people don't like to be "jumped on" by sales men. Maybe it wouldn't have hurt to shown interest and that you weren't just dreaming

Enjoy your A4, but hopefully you don't end up wishing you'd spoke to one of the salesmen and bought the car you clearly really wanted
Old 23 February 2004, 11:52 PM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

Thats a shame

My experience with Scooby dealers has been excellent so far. Shame the same cannot be said for VW (used 2 in the south and 2 in the north - all terrible really) or the Audi garage.

My father has had terrible service in the last few years from both Porsche and Mercedes dealers too.

I think all manufacturers have their fair share of poor dealers - its just a case of taking your business elsewhere until you find a good one.

The only manufacturer that has been fantastic for a sustained period of years for us is BMW - my mum has had them for 10 - 15 yrs and they have never really put a foot wrong (using several dealers in the local area). But I'm sure they have their poor dealers somewhere too.
Old 23 February 2004, 11:56 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Audi and VW have fallen down the toilet pan in recent years, reliability wise - I have a friend with all kinds of trouble with his Audi Avant ................... peeling paint, even!!

Nah, at the end of the day the Jap cars beat everyone else in quality - when will the world wake up and smell the coffee??

German metal is way past its sell by date!

Pete
Old 24 February 2004, 09:35 AM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

My missus bought a brand new Polo in November, so far the ratchet on the seat slide is fooked, the passenger electric window has a mind of it's own, they never bothered to put the mats in when they sold it, glove box doesn't align properly and the door posts on both front doors doesn't line up with the 'A' Pillar.

My Scoob after 18 months................................ and a jolly nice dealer aswell
Old 24 February 2004, 09:47 AM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

My local dealer is excellent, the best customer service of any of the previous cars I've had, including Ford, VW, Vauxhall, Mercedes, all of who were completely useless.

I was going to change from Subaru and buy a sensible diesel family car, but bought another one due to the level of service from my local Subaru dealer.

There are some good ones out there, just not that many it would seem.

Dan
Old 24 February 2004, 12:59 PM
jmk
Scooby Regular

Subaru dealers can be a little slow and uninterested.

I test drove different variations of the WRX at two different garages - 5 cars in total. This was on a Sat and I asked them to call me on Monday with their best price and that I was going to place an order on the Monday. You'd have thought that I'd have recieved a call at 9am and they'd have chase me for business throughout the day. By Tue I'd not recveied one call so I bought it from elsewhere.

Trending Topics

Old 24 February 2004, 01:04 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

i am not even going to go there with the ridiculious dealership i have been dealing with !!

if it wasnt for the 1k deposit i had put down on my new sti i would have cancelled & went elsewhere
Old 24 February 2004, 01:07 PM
Subarstar
Scooby Regular

I'm sure you've all heard it before - Name and Shame!

Town and County - Abeerdeen

Try getting a test drive there! No chance!
As for servicing and their general attitude, even to current Subaru owners, it's disgraceful.
Old 24 February 2004, 01:09 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Hope you enjoy the audi. I tried a 2.5 V6 diesel quatto expecting big things, but bought an 03 wagon... The Audi was a great car providing you wanted it to get you from A to B fairly rapidly in comfort. Providing enjoyment to the driver whilst doing so is not on its agenda at all in my eyes.

Still, horses for courses . Comments above about dealerships being told not to be pushy really do apply...

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 24 February 2004, 02:24 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

The very first time i went into Subaru Mainland (now Holdcroft) Widnes, just after it first opened. I got "If you would like to ask any questions or you'd just like me to walk round with you, just let me know, i'll be over at my desk over there"

Bloody refreshing and made a change from my local Mitsi garage saying " No, we've got none in and we dont like people just test drivin them anyway" (refering to new Evo VII)

1-0 to Scoob dealers
Old 24 February 2004, 03:03 PM
P1_BEN
Scooby Regular

I've used 2 dealers,

1 - Lancasters in Sevenoaks, no point in shaming really as they've gone already. But I found them atrocious
2 - Waldonway in Maidstone (Now Larkfield) absolutely excellent..!! I guess it helps once you've been a few times but now greeted by service and sales by first name. Reccomend them highly!!

Just hope they please me as much with the Deal and service on the WR1 i've ordered!
Old 24 February 2004, 04:44 PM
BedHog
Scooby Regular

The wife just bought a Beetle, and the local VW dealers are awful, but Ford are unbelievably good, really go the extra mile to help the customer. Both are 'Reg Vardy' and a just a couple of miles apart - just goes to show. You would have expected better from VW, being a more 'upmarket' brand. Plus the Beetle is a brand new Cabriolet bought from them, where the Ford is my 7 year old Probe (Bought privately)

The local Scoob dealer can't touch mine as it's a Grey import (could lose his franchise apparaently) but the guy owns another manufacturers franchise nearby and says he is willing to send one of his Subaru trained techs there to work on the car. Haven't had any work done yet but they seemed to be happy to help (And I'm sure happy for the custom)

Don't not get the car you want because of 1 useless dealer, find another. Even if you have to travel a few miles it will be worth it, and hopefully there won't be too many trips there....
Old 24 February 2004, 05:00 PM
lmsbman
Scooby Regular

My only complaint, is the lack of dealerships. I have to travel 30 miles, despite living in a city. The dealership is fine and always lend me a courtesy car, but it's still a pain.
Old 24 February 2004, 06:32 PM
T-1000
Scooby Regular

Could be worse could be a VW garage. My girlfriend ordered a new polo 12 weeks ago. Not given a delivery date constantly had to chase the dealer then today they have phoned to say they have the car but they have cocked it up and order a diesel instead of a petrol!
Old 24 February 2004, 06:47 PM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

Angry

Well i'll name and shame:

Adams of Aylesbury!!!

I cant be bothered to go into the full catalogue of twattery but...

one of their main crimes (amongst many of complete incompetance) was insisting that the ppp had been fitted from new, when clearly it hadn't, finally i got them to admit that the ppp indeed hadnt been fitted and turned up on the agreed date to have it put on, only to be told that they hadnt actually ordered it yet and it'll be another 2 weeks!!!

sadly this level of service was very typical of my dealings with these fools.
Old 24 February 2004, 09:21 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

That's a shame, I used Adams for several years and they were never less than entirlely professional. They happily let me take a test drive when I first started looking, and even though I didn't buy my car from them (just because of the waiting list), they did a great job with servicing and repairs. They also helped myself and Greg organise the first(and only?) PPP group buy when other dealers were uninterested, and sold me a set of 17" wheels at cost as a 'thank you' for bringing them the business.

My only complaint was a spattering of underseal on the car after the body services, which was a pretty poor effort. It took me ages to clean off until I discovered Autoglym tar remover!

Maybe they've gone downhill since Bill left?
Old 24 February 2004, 11:16 PM
Bryan
Scooby Regular

Ok I'll name and shame
Its M J RIDING & CO of Preston Lancashire
The trouble is that the next nearest dealer is over 40 mile away.
To those who say I should push the salesman, that all well and good however after 30min in the showroom without even an hello! well one can only imagine how bad the service dept could be.
Just tried a Revo tech conversion on the A4, its a lot better but not in the impreza league, (230bhp but a lot of weight to carry).
In short Subaru need to get their act together regarding their dealers, too many good ones being thrown aside.
So if non of them want my business before the new A4 arrives so be it.
bryanharrison318@hotmail.com

Last edited by Bryan; 24 February 2004 at 11:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 24 February 2004, 11:30 PM
Bullring
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Got my 53WRX from Westaway in Northants. No pushy salesmen, excellent service. 10/10.

(John, I'm be in at the weekend for some 'bits' - any chance of some discount? )

Last edited by Bullring; 24 February 2004 at 11:32 PM.
Old 25 February 2004, 08:15 AM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Subarstar
I'm sure you've all heard it before - Name and Shame!

Town and County - Abeerdeen

Try getting a test drive there! No chance!
As for servicing and their general attitude, even to current Subaru owners, it's disgraceful.
I'll second that.
Old 25 February 2004, 08:49 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Bryan

Get up to see Ian at Stanpalmers at carlisle
he will do you a good deal !!!
top service too
All the cumbrianscoobs go there and its just anhour up the road
Old 25 February 2004, 09:13 AM
Joan
Scooby Newbie

Angry ScoobySport manners

I'm WRX owner and I'm experiencing terrible situation within ScoobySport
dealer.
Five weeks a go I sent my ECU and I ordered some pipes, of course I
made same day a bank transfer to ScoobySport. They told me that
in 1 week time they were gonna send me my stuff. After 5 weeks of
an incredible excuses and cheats I’m still waiting for it.

Is that so normal?

Thank you very much
Old 25 February 2004, 09:53 AM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Been ignored at Renault and Toyota dealerships near me in the past. If you knew and big and ugly I was, you'd realise how much less than invisible I am.

I'm afraid it's not really a reflection of Subaru/IM, but one of the poor service available at almost and retail outlet these days. A firnd of mine gets treated like dirt at his Merc dealer, and reports of the local VW/Audi dealer are far from complimentary.

Just take your business elsewhere, like any normal person.
Old 25 February 2004, 05:22 PM
WRX-Mark
Scooby Regular

Default All brands

The message seems to be that it doesn't matter what brand of car you own or try to buy, some dealers will always be better than others. I had terrible trouble initially with my local dealer but a letter to the MD of the group changed all that....
Originally I only went to look at the subaru because I was having so much trouble with my local Audi dealer - again a complaint to Audi UK made a big difference.
Dont just moan on here put pen to paper or call somebody senior