Importing....

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2004, 10:16 PM
scooby-woo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Importing....

Hi people,
Not sure if this is the right section for this, but here goes. Im needing a bit of advice i am thinking of importing my next scoob myself, i have found an agent in japan to take care of the auction side of things and geting the car on the boat, i have sorted the shipping. But my concern lies on the car ariving in the uk, i have read hm customs site and dti and dlva, and although they cover alot, with regards to vat, realease times sva ect, there is no info on weather me as a non vat registerd company/person can import this car for my own use? has anyone on here tried this , without using a car importers??

any help much apreciated

Neil
Old 25 February 2004, 12:13 AM
scooby-woo
Scooby Regular

Talking

.)
Old 25 February 2004, 12:18 AM
Danbo
Scooby Regular

It has been done many time before mate........

Im sure someone on here will be able to give you all the info you need.
Old 25 February 2004, 09:04 AM
scooby-woo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers m8, i hope so.....
Old 25 February 2004, 09:14 AM
rally_bubbles
Scooby Regular

I believe that you pay VAT even if you are a "non vat registerd company/person" just like you pay VAT on a car you buy from a dealer. I think if you owned the car for 6 months proir to importing it is different, but I'm not 100% sure.

B.
Old 25 February 2004, 12:02 PM
mo,s scoobymonster
Scooby Regular

hi mate it doesnt matter if you arent vat registered all you have to do is when the car arrives in the uk you have to notify customs for clearence you have to give them the original BL certificate the Original invoice slip for the car and jap logbook.they the work out the vat on the cost of the car and shipping on this you have to pay 10% customs then on the whole lot you have to pay vat at 17.5%.when all the funds have been transfered and cleared you will then only be allowed to collect the car from the docks.HM customs will the give you a receipt with a stamp on stating you have paid all the duties on the car you take this to the dvla with your sva mot and insurance and original jap log book the pinky yellowy 1 and the BL certificate.then wait 48 hours get the car on the road and start enjoying the grin factor.
well that atleast how i did it anyway