Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

STI MY03 battery probs; what next?

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2004, 06:31 PM
sandycam
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy STI MY03 battery probs; what next?

Have had the car from new for just over a year and this morning the car failed to start again. I'm already on my third battery (under warranty) and other than driving with my sidelights on all the time the dealer says subaru aren't offering much more help! Can't leave the car outside for more than 5 or 6 days and am now having to depend on girlfriends ten year old corsa instead of my 12 month old 25k subaru! What are the next steps i can take to try and get something suitable done? Thanks.
Old 23 March 2004, 06:41 PM
papascooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It doesn't sound like it's the battery. I know very little about cars but couldn't it be the alternator?

Have u got a powerful sound system installed?

Why do u run with your sidelights on all the time? It's not a Volvo
Old 23 March 2004, 07:04 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Assuming battery/charging system are ok, it may be worth looking at the Tracker.

They have been known not to go into "sleep" mode , and therefore draining the battery.

If you do a search on www.bm3w.co.uk there was quite a bit of detailed info on the values of the current drain etc, which should give you something to go at.

Have you fitted anything else ?
Old 23 March 2004, 07:10 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also make sure your dealer replaces it with a 60Ah (The standard item is only 48Ah)
JohnD
Old 23 March 2004, 07:41 PM
ChungsterSTI
Scooby Regular

Left mine alone for 2 weeks and started up first time when i got back.

But I was worried about it not starting though after hearing all these battery problems.
Old 23 March 2004, 07:47 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

i'd go with the tracker idea there were a few changed because of this problem
Old 23 March 2004, 08:34 PM
sandycam
Scooby Regular

Dealer said tracker was draining acceptable rate, car is standard, and side lights on because alternator works off of the battery voltage reaching a low level before cutting in so with lights on battery is charging all the time. Dealer is supplying another battery on friday (assume its a white varta and again assume it is 60Ah same as last one) Any one know who i should send a letter to at subaru

Trending Topics

Old 23 March 2004, 10:10 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

What the dealer has told you about side lights is RUBBISH,Scoobs dont have a smart charging system on them. If you were to put a metre across your battery with engine runnining you should get a reading of between 13.5volts and 14.5volts. This should remain the same with lights,heater infact with all the electrics on it should'nt go below 13.5volts. If it does the alternator regulator is knackered. If its above 14.5 volts It will fry the battery and you'll keep puting batteries on it til the alternators changed. Get a digital multi-metre from halfords or borrow one and have a check yourself. I suspect that keeping your lights on could be keeping the voltage just abit lower so as to hope it wont cook anymore batteries.
Mel
Old 24 March 2004, 09:08 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

I left my STi8 alone for 5 weeks while I was in New Zealand last year and 3 weeks while I was in Canada in Feb this year. On both occaisions it started first time and first spark!
Old 24 March 2004, 10:26 AM
ST AYE
Scooby Regular

Turbobits is spot on 20 nminutes driving should fully recharge battery sidelights will make no difference whatsoever
Old 24 March 2004, 12:05 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Turbotits

my SECS 1004 battery level stays at 14v normal driving, but if I turn the lights/fan on then the value goes up to 14.2v
Old 24 March 2004, 12:46 PM
2002pete
Scooby Regular

I was using my 2002 WRX in - temperature for about a week.
Doing 3 to 4 miles round trip at a time. That knackered my battery.
i had to call Subaru assistance out.he said the battery was charging ok.

Last edited by 2002pete; 24 March 2004 at 12:54 PM.
Old 24 March 2004, 01:28 PM
2002pete
Scooby Regular

(useing the WRX at night ) The battery should have lasted longer

Last edited by 2002pete; 24 March 2004 at 01:40 PM.
Old 24 March 2004, 03:13 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Could it be the standard fit Sigma alarm that's causing an unacceptable current drain??
Old 24 March 2004, 05:18 PM
sandycam
Scooby Regular

Turbotits;
Are you sure the sti's don't have an ecu input to the alternator (3 wires) to tell when the voltage has dropped to a certain level to charge the battery? Only asking as dealer was as helpfull as he could be and this was direct advice from the subaru technical department.
Old 24 March 2004, 06:43 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

yes they do in fact any scoob from about 02 onwards with 3 wires in the plug instead of 2 have intelligent charging. it's controlled by the ecu and when the battery voltage drops to about 11.8v the ecu turns on the alternator to boost it back up. and then switches it off again. it will also charge for 2 secs at maximum output to put back what it takes out on start up. if you load the battery i.e sidelights this then brings the alternator back in. this was done so that it reduces load on the engine giving supposedly better fuel consumption, driveability, and better fuel emissions. how much of this is true i dont know. but the intelligent charging is true

Last edited by scoobyboy; 24 March 2004 at 06:46 PM.
Old 24 March 2004, 08:12 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

They may well have smart systems I cant be sure on your model, even so as has been already said if the voltage drops then the system should charge the battery back up. Which ever it has there should still be no need to have lights on if the system is working properly.
Old 24 March 2004, 08:23 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

I personally think there is an issue here that is being overlooked by Subaru. I didnt use my MY03 over xmas (about 10 days in all) and the battery was totally flat. The guy who started my car had just come from another scooby with similar problems and said that scoobies tend to cook batteries so I should speak to my dealer about getting a new one as this shouldnt happen (dunno if this is good info or not). My car doesnt start every time, some mornings I can crank it for 10+ seconds without it firing, leaving it for 5 secs, and starting again without any problems. Other days it fires on the first go and Im there like a lemon leaving the key cranked as I'm expecting it not to fire

My bro's MY03 also goes flat in about one to two weeks (he has another car and uses that for work). Bro has had his battery changed by the dealer and the problem is still there.

Dealer has some sensor on order for my starting problems but its a bit suspect that both our cars are experiencing the battery failure issues. That reminds me I need to get back onto the dealer about the sensor

Jules
Old 24 March 2004, 08:59 PM
dumpling
Scooby Regular

it just goes to show a simple thing like a flat battery= **** CARS, **** DEALERS, **** MECHANICS, **** ADVICE-form dealers
Old 24 March 2004, 11:07 PM
Derek.P
Scooby Newbie

Angry

Have 8 month old STi8 and on my 3rd battery (Varta 60Ah) as well but its
still going flat if left for 5 or 6 days from a full charge. Dealer told me to
disconnect the battery when going away (don't think the insurance company
would be too happy about that one!) or get a trickle charger and leave it
connected!!

Derek..
Old 25 March 2004, 05:29 PM
sandycam
Scooby Regular

yea trickle charging every night was mentioned to me as well but don't expect to do this on a ten year old wreck never mind a year old 25k car!!
Old 25 March 2004, 06:49 PM
mas58
Scooby Newbie

Angry

same problem, replacement battery was flat when trying to start after 10 days. Car going into dealer to have current drain check to see if tracker at fault. Trackstar advised some software updates available for tracker that may correct current drain. It would be nice just to be able to drive the car when you want to and not have to plan ahead, like phoning Subaru Assist then waiting around for start. 1st and last Subaru for me, which is a shame after waiting so long.
Are you WR1 buyers going to have the same problems? That will stick down your gullet more than us humble STi owners given the extra price!!
Subaru, get your finger and come up with a permanent fix.
Old 25 March 2004, 06:58 PM
sandycam
Scooby Regular

Here here! Can't see the WR1 being any different as it's (engine wise) a (new)ppp sti.
Old 25 March 2004, 10:30 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

so what current drains are people getting then out of interest we had a isuzu pickup brand new off the transporter with a flat battery charged it up within a week it was flat. turns out the radio was drawing 2.4a changed the radio and now it draws 0.02a.
if you want to do your own test get a multimeter set it to amps take the neg batt lead off the battery and put one lead from the meter to the neg battery lead and the other lead from the meter to the negative post of the battery and see what the meter reads
Old 25 March 2004, 10:44 PM
Derek.P
Scooby Newbie

Sandycam
The dealer that told you to trickle charge wasn't Dicksons in Inverness by
any chance??

Scoobyboy
It would also be handy to know what the current draw is with the alarm
set, which should also put the tracker into its "sleep" mode, this could be
done with the bonnet open if the bonnet switch was taped down.

Derek..
Old 25 March 2004, 10:56 PM
rshort2210
Scooby Regular

Exclamation batteries

got an 02 sti uk.....exactly same problem battery goes flat....then try getting it started with the bloody imobiliser....jesus....nightmare !....anyway 2 batteriaes & 2 alternators later...it still does it......and so ive been "reliably" informed its down to such a high drain alarm system coupled to the tracker.......which i think is ****e for a 25k motor.....so my next thought is go to a tractor dealer and nick a massey ferguson battery.....strap it to the rear seat...no worries !
Old 26 March 2004, 01:41 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mug a milkman on his rounds for the batteries on the float!
JohnD
Old 26 March 2004, 08:27 PM
Ady 1
Scooby Regular

Angry TOTALLY P!SSED OFF

Yes mines the same, MY03 STi UK, leave it for 3 to 4 days and hey presto flat as a witches tit. Not only that but when I come to press the de- imobiliser button the feekin alarm goes off and I can't stop it until I run in and connect the battery booster pack I bought just for the occassion, great at 6am in the morning when I'm going to work. As has already been said I think this is unacceptable for a 25 grand car, wonder what watchdog would say???
By the way I am only on my second battery so have a bit of catching up to do, my first scooby could be left for weeks and still fire up first flick (STi Type R)
Ady
Old 26 March 2004, 08:42 PM
sandycam
Scooby Regular

Yea might have been Dicksons although they have been first class with any dealing i've had with them. Had a MY99 before and could depend on it no matter what and so is leaving a rather (expensive) bad taste in my mouth!
Old 26 March 2004, 08:50 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

The alarm on my 02 car was draining the battery in 2 or 3 days. Got a new alarm from Subaru on the warranty.

The sympton was that after 2 or 3 days unused it would drag the volts down far enough for the alarm siren to go onto internal batteries and it would sit there chirping away to itself, trying a half hearted siren then resetting. Always seemed to do this at 2 in the morning, only solution was to jump start the engine and leave it ticking over for half an hour. I was very popular with the neighbours!

Quick Reply: STI MY03 battery probs; what next?