Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Subaru’s & Audi’s being targeted by car thieves in Leamington!

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2004, 07:10 PM
Bullring
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Subaru’s & Audi’s being targeted by car thieves in Leamington!

(Not sure if anyone else has posted this information)

Subaru’s & Audi’s being targeted by car thieves in Leamington!

A friend’s boss almost lost his Impreza to thieves in Leamington Spa. The car was parked overnight at his home. He was only alerted of the attempted theft when he was woken by the smell of burning. The thieves were trying to burn a hole through his UPCV backdoor. They must have been disturbed as they fled before gaining access to the house. When the police arrived they told him the thieves were probably after his car and that he had been lucky. They told him of another Impreza owner who had been badly beaten up by a gang of men in his house because he refused to hand over his keys. The police advised him not to hide this car keys, but too leave them on a work surface in the kitchen. They also said other Impreza’s and Audio TT’s had also been stolen in the area.

Don’t shot the messenger! I have no reason to doubt this information.
Old 24 March 2004, 11:41 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Hopefully the c**ts all get killed ASAP!

I'll check mines still in its keeping place in the morning...
Old 25 March 2004, 12:41 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bullring
The police advised him not to hide this car keys, but to leave them on a work surface in the kitchen.
ooooookkkkkk.
Good advice from the police there then?!?!

Why not just leave the car unlocked in the drive with the keys in the ignition? Oh, and put a neon sign on the roof saying "steal me" (actually, I reckon that'd be a pretty effective anti-theft device (HONEST!) - a thief may think it was a set-up!).

Seriously, leaving keys knowingly in places where they would be seen be thieves is an action one step closer to giving your insurance company an excuse to deny your claim. So watch out on that one...

Of course, if I put my conspiracy-theory hat on, the original poster here could be a thief telling everyone in Leamington with a Subaru/Audi to leave their keys on the kitchen table tonight so that said person can go round and easily nick a shed-load of cars......

I'll get my coat, but if it happens, you read it here first
Old 25 March 2004, 04:11 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Smile

my keys go to bed with me and woe betide any ****** that

1. gets past my dogs
2. wakes me up looking for a set of car keys
3. is still standing after and introduction to my sawn off "louisville slugger"

just my 2p worth.

cheers

big sinky
Old 25 March 2004, 09:16 AM
BlueSimon
Scooby Regular

Talking

Im glad ive got tony martin lodging at my house now

Simon
Old 25 March 2004, 10:28 AM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Bigsinky

It happened to me last year. Thieves got in the house, I was pissed-up and asleep and didn't hear a thing.
Luckily keys were downstairs. Even if I had woken up, it would have taken a while for my head to get into gear. By which time the scum would have fckt me up.
Believe me mate, when it happens for real and theres 3-4 scumbags downstairs, you don't know how big they are, or what they are carrying!! Next time you wake up in the night for a pee, take a moment to assess your awareness.....
I sleep light now (most of the time). But I won't stop enjoying myself and getting pissed because of ***** like that!

A dog(s) would be the best deterrant IMHO

Nick

PS WOW milestone post! Check out the number dudes!!

Last edited by skoobidude; 25 March 2004 at 10:30 AM.
Old 25 March 2004, 11:09 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

just adding my 2p worth, but that thing on the driveway is just a lump of metal with a few rubber bits, it provides me with great joy on occaisions and fundamentally it can fairly easily be repaired or replaced.
my, my wife's and even the bloody mutts (I'l get that dog one day) welfare are of far more importance to me than any machinery will ever be.
ipso-facto, ergo the keys are not with us at night but as far away from us as possible.
again, just tuppence, but its my tuppence all the same

Peanuts

Trending Topics

Old 25 March 2004, 11:39 AM
IanA
Scooby Regular

I once had a heated discussion (well okay I've had more than one) with someone about the laws in the states that mean you can act lawfully in shooting someone who breaks into your house.

His argument was that saving a TV or similar wasn't worth taking a life.

My argument is that the TV is irrelevant, it's the intrusion into your home, the conscious decision the criminal takes to knowingly enter someone's house for the purpose of taking what is someone elses (or worse). By making that decision they give up the respect and decency with which I try to treat all people.

Granted it is only a lump of metal, but I would fight or kill someone to prevent them taking it, because it is mine. I sweat and have bled for the money to pay for what is mine and I will not give it up easily.

Tony Martin got four years for shooting someone: I reckon I could handle two or three for attacking them with a bottle of bleach, or a cricket bat (your house is full of things to protect yourself with).
Old 25 March 2004, 11:58 AM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Better let Duck-Pond know he works in said area!! In Brum we're not so selective!!
Old 25 March 2004, 12:02 PM
Mike_Davis
Scooby Newbie

My brother disturbed two guys last night trying to get in his house to nick his keys for his my03 wrx - but it was only 9pm!! He saw shadows outside, and chased them down the road into their waiting 98ish impreza. The reg no was false - didn't exist according to the police.

We live in Northampton - so not too far from Leamington - maybe they're spreading their wings...
Old 25 March 2004, 12:29 PM
MowbrayWRX
Scooby Regular

Default Fed Up

Well done everybody, I'm sure we can all go to sleep tonight knowing we are all safe and sound in our little boxes.

Not......................

Get real, crime is happening all around us every day, hang on a minute wheres me wallet ?

Tony S
Old 25 March 2004, 01:40 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Anyone who's worried about getting their car stolen this way I can highly recommend getting Clifford's Blackjax system installed - even if they nick the keys they won't get very far.
Old 25 March 2004, 01:52 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Default insurance probs with blackjax

is there not some insurance problem with blackjax system?

cheers

sinky
Old 25 March 2004, 02:39 PM
juan
Scooby Regular

Subaru I can understand... but TTs!!!
Old 25 March 2004, 02:42 PM
K9VYN
Scooby Regular

if you're particularly worried about losing your pride and joy (i'm not at present, but would defend it vigorously if some TWOCin' pr*ck stopped by) - speak to Mark at Scoobyclinic. he advised me of simple a little trick that'll stop the car from starting (even with the keys) - unless the theives are prepared to turn would-be mechanics and perform a full diagnosis they'd have to leave without the car and you won't have had to put up any resistance at all.
Old 25 March 2004, 02:51 PM
kimera9988
Scooby Regular

as anyone ever known a theif steal a scooby from a locked garage or woken someone up to steal the keys?

ive heard the knock door one?
Old 25 March 2004, 04:31 PM
SJWRX
Scooby Newbie

So whats the best advice then? The way I see it, IMO, if you leave your keys on view, say in the kitchen and they break in - Cars gone.
If you hide your keys somewhere downstairs, aren't we just giving them more time in your house looking for them?
And if you take them to bed, are you REALLY going to try and stop them? Who knows what they are carrying and holding in their hands???
I'm a solid built guy and no wimp, but against 2 theives, is it really worth that risk? Plus if you do serious damage to them, ie cricket bat whack, bleach in their eyes, toilet brush down their throats , we ourselves will be the criminals!
Mmmm much thinking to do...
Old 25 March 2004, 05:31 PM
yorkmeister
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine caught two lads trying to nick his BMW. Big rugby player, pretty fit, chases them, catches them, they turn round and knife him and slash his face up. He was in intensive care and actually died at one point. A year on and he is fine (except for the scars).

Your decision.
Old 25 March 2004, 06:22 PM
Bullring
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by imlach
Of course, if I put my conspiracy-theory hat on, the original poster here could be a thief telling everyone in Leamington with a Subaru/Audi to leave their keys on the kitchen table tonight so that said person can go round and easily nick a shed-load of cars......
****e! I've been rumbled!

Last edited by Bullring; 25 March 2004 at 06:27 PM.
Old 25 March 2004, 08:39 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Angry

IanA,

spot on!

Theiving scum don't give a toss whether they are nicking a video, a Subaru or the crown jewels - it is all just booty for them.

So it is time that we turned the tables, and as soon as a toe-rag attempts to enter our property, we treat them as is they are going to <insert the worst crime you can think of> and react accordingly.

If the ***** thought that they might bleed, even slightly, then DNA would tie them to the crime straight away. Opportunists are probably so cowardly (otherwise they wouldn't try to sneak in at night) that they would crap themselves at the first sound of footsteps down the stairs - let alone the 12-bore/baseball-bat/megatron-sun-blaster!!

Hey everyone, stop being a wimp, and confront the *******s - whether physically or psychologically - but don't hand 'em your car on a plate!!!!

mb
Old 25 March 2004, 08:52 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

We got broken in to june 2002, they got the keys to my 540 and the impreza. I got the Impreza back, the 540 has never been seen since.

Neither set of keys were on view, although once in the house they found them pretty easily.

I have three young children in the house to think about.

Trying to defend the keys just ain't worth it in my opinion. I got a new car. Bodily parts aren't so easily replaced.

So..... I'll leave the heroics to you guys who reckon I'm wrong then.

All I will say is I bet you wished you'd have left them downstairs when they come up to get them and beat seven shades of sh*t out of you while you sleep, kill your dog and god knows what else.

What you seem to be forgetting is that they don't give a sh*t on the whole.

They did actually catch the kids who stole my cars- two fifteen year olds and a seventeen year old.
Old 25 March 2004, 09:01 PM
BedHog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by K9VYN
if you're particularly worried about losing your pride and joy (i'm not at present, but would defend it vigorously if some TWOCin' pr*ck stopped by) - speak to Mark at Scoobyclinic. he advised me of simple a little trick that'll stop the car from starting (even with the keys) - unless the theives are prepared to turn would-be mechanics and perform a full diagnosis they'd have to leave without the car and you won't have had to put up any resistance at all.
Soooo..... what is it then? When I used to leave my Capri (many years ago!) in dodgy places i pulled the rotor arm and stuck it in my pocket lol - easy and effective.

Would prefer something that didn't mean me getting under the bonnet though....
Old 25 March 2004, 10:13 PM
MarksWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BedHog
Soooo..... what is it then?
If he says it on here then it wont be much good anymore.
Old 25 March 2004, 10:41 PM
sparkykev
Scooby Regular

Location: Ex WRX now a Harley Iron. Warwickshire. Oh what fun...

I suppose if you keep your keys in bed, you've the option to fight or hand them over, where as leaving them on the side downstairs, your as good as giving your car away.
Old 26 March 2004, 08:05 AM
K9VYN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BedHog
Soooo..... what is it then? When I used to leave my Capri (many years ago!) in dodgy places i pulled the rotor arm and stuck it in my pocket lol - easy and effective.

Would prefer something that didn't mean me getting under the bonnet though....
Bedhog,

i could tell you, but i'd have to kill you! can all the conspiracy theorists on here guarantee that you are a geniune Scooby owner?

seriosusly though, it does involve going under the bonnet (unless you put a carefully concealed switch inside the car) - but once done isn't apparent to anyone really. even a mechanic would try several other common fault finding exercises before eventually spotting it. and the car will turnover as though all is ok, but it won't start. i'm sure others on here must know about it! can tell you in PM if you're interested.

Kevin
Old 26 March 2004, 09:47 AM
IanA
Scooby Regular

RRH, I wouldn't begin to suggest you compromise your family, you have to take each situation as it comes and I don't have kids to think about.

But there is a point here and that is that this country belongs to us, not criminals and yet we are scared to own a certain type of car. That we're even having this discussion is horrific. Crime only exists because there's a market for the spoils. How many of us know of a dodgy bloke down the pub who can 'sort you out' with shiny things that are actually someone else's property? If we want the country back for decent, law-abiding people it's up to us to start making phone calls to crime stoppers and getting these people put away (if only it was that simple).
Old 26 March 2004, 10:41 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Agree entirely Ian. It shouldn't be that easy for them, but until our laws are changed to allow you to protect your property effectivelyn this situation will continue.

My point is that if your house is broken in to to steal the keys for your pride and joy, it don't half soften the blow if you sleep right through it.

For children to experience something so horriffic at such a tender age would be awful.

Nor would it help them whatsover if you were to get stabbed trying to defend the keys, or even if you stay in bed and willingly hand them over do they just walk away?

Not prepared to take that chance. If they're stupid enough to braek in for the keys, they probably aren't going to want to leave empty-handed, so wheres the point in hindering them?