Turbo upgrade which 1?

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2004, 07:46 PM
Shadow Scoob
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Turbo upgrade which 1?

Hi Lads,

I have a Subaru Impreza WRX Version 2 1995M and i want to upgrade my turbo i Have a TD04 at the moment i have a few mods such as Blitz dump valve, HKS induction Kit, HKS Exhaust system with Cats And a Blitz Turbo timer i want to upgrade my turbo to a bigger turbo that will give me 400+BHP my car is pushing out 264BHP at the moment but i want to upgrade my turbo to get 400+ any 1 kno what is the best 1 and waht model is it and where to get 1 from any contact numbers or if any 1 has 1 for sale please let me kno any help will be very help full and could you please let me kno how much it will cost thanks alot.

Have a nice Time.

Last edited by Shadow Scoob; 24 March 2004 at 07:51 PM.
Old 24 March 2004, 07:57 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Need to engage the thinking cap a bit before you go diving in here sport.

For starters, you need to check what turbo you've got. If you have a four door car, you should have a TD05 turbo, which is will get you near to 400 without the need to change.

Secondly, even if you do have a TD04, you seem to be thinking that changing the turbo alone will magically get you to 400bhp. That just ain't so. You will need considerable further supporting modifications to get to that sort of power; at very least you'd be looking at fuel pump and regulator, injectors, a remap and probably a new clutch.

The first question you should ask yourself though is why you are asking for 400bhp. Why that figure specifically? It's all too easy to get fixated on numbers, which, frankly, unless you spend all your time with your car on a rolling road, or talking cr*p down the pub, don't mean squat.

The most important thing is driveability and punch in a real-world situation, and you can obtain that far more cost-effectively than a nice round 400bhp.

The other thing, realistically, you should be thinking about is the practicality of insuring an import with this sort of power at 23 years of age. Insuring even a standard WRX would be difficult enough, and if you fail to notify your insurer of any modifications, you stand to drop yourself in very deep sh*t...
Old 24 March 2004, 08:11 PM
Shadow Scoob
Scooby Newbie

My car is a 5dr and i want 400BHP because i think 264BHP is not fast enough for me i ahve got used to it and kno it feels very slow thas why i want 400+BHP you have stated i wll need to upgrade my Fuel pump, Regulator, re-map, injectors and and upgrade my clutc how much do you think i will be looking at in money.
Old 24 March 2004, 09:33 PM
greg.g
Scooby Regular

Location: Faster than a quickshift.... get yourself a bionic arm ;)

A brake upgrade and a performance driving course would be of far more benefit IMHO.
Old 24 March 2004, 10:39 PM
SUBTYPER
Scooby Senior

Would you also not need a Front mount Intercooler.

Decat exhaust around £500 inc downpipe and uppipe

Fuel press + Reg £195 with group buy.

Andy Forester Turbo TD05/06 about £850.00

Fuel Injectors 550 £200 - £300 Guesstimate.

Front Mount Intercooler - £700 Minimum Group Buy price Guesstimate

Clutch AP Organic £300 Guesstimate

Remap £250 Guesstimate. (Or Alternative ECU and Remap £1600).

Thing you got to do to get the kick and the driveabuility is find out what the Torque is doing. for normal driving on roads then the Torque can give you as much smiles per mile as what the Big BHP.

Also prepare yourself for alot more fuel bills and insurance companies turning around and saying nope.

I got a 98Sti Type R and it was running a TD04 at 293bhp and 305lbft and if you wanna drive quicker then get the suspension sorted and the brakes. No good getting the car to go in a straight line without being able to go round corners.

Even rally 22bs and WRC cars only run 300bhp from what I remember but the torque figures are quite high.

I aint an authority on any of this but just my opinion. Best person to ask is Harvey. he really knows how to make cars run really well. His 2.0 sti wagon with modification is running 585bhp and 469lbft which is pretty good for a daily driver.