ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

F*!*in Speed Cameras !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01 April 2004, 01:07 AM
HYP1C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry F*!*in Speed Cameras !!!!

Is it me or does anybody else think its bang out of order to get done doing 36mph on a 4 lane dual carriageway.
Broad daylight ,dry weather and only a handful of cars in miles.
Felt I was only doing @ 32mph even though I thought it was a 40 zone.
I could probably do an armed robbery on a granny and get treated more fairly .Does my f!*!in 'Ed in.W"**!rs.There goes my clean licence.Anybody want a UK 22B,if I can't enjoy driving it there's no point in havin it.Proper pssied off and disillusioned.
Cheers
Gary
Old 01 April 2004, 01:45 AM
Clarey
Scooby Regular

Talking

I'll have your 22B, thanks.

Sorry, i thought you meant you was giving it away!!

I think i have seen your user name around the northwest before?

Cheers
Phil.
Old 01 April 2004, 05:27 AM
bonkers
Scooby Regular

That sucks - I couldn't believe how many cameras there were when I was home a couple of years ago, though someone told me only a fraction of them actually had film in at any time.

At least they're static though, here in the States you've always gotta keep an eye out for cops if you're exceeding the speed limit and everyone does. (Except the little old lady I always seem to get stuck behind every time I hit a back road or on-ramp)

Freeway speed limits here vary between 50 and 70, with 70 being the exception at least in this state. Regular country roads vary between 50 and 60, with 50/55 being more common.

Woe betide you if you get nabbed at the end of the month and the cop hasn't met his quota yet!
Old 01 April 2004, 05:55 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Get a road angel or similar, but that doesnt help I suppose if you are not sure of the speed limit.
Difficult to believe that you were doing anything wrong! There are a few odd speed limits about, most have been changed since the introduction of cameras, I wonder why that is?
Sorry for you mate ............
Old 01 April 2004, 06:47 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

how can you have a 4 lane duel carriage way

i thought dual meant 2 lanes?
Old 01 April 2004, 06:48 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

welcome to new labours transport policy 2000

you spend more time looking at the ******* speedo than paying attention to the road!!!

as i have stated before

because you dont know

A) how accurate your speedo is

b) the true limit the camera is set

you err on the side off caution, and slow to under the speed limit

result

Bunching and congestion traffic does not flow freeley...

if you feel that strongly as you have posted

vote them out

show them the motorist has had enough.....

its the only way they will get the message

Mart

looking forward to the first canvassers of the season!!!!!
Old 01 April 2004, 07:19 AM
Soapy Sam
Scooby Regular

B*****ds! Demand the latest calibration cert. for the camera.

I believe guidelines are limit +10% + 2mph ie 35 for a 30. So 36??????

B*****ds!
Old 01 April 2004, 07:44 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Nightmare Gary, where was it?
Old 01 April 2004, 08:44 AM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Talking

Get an Origin B2, it talks to you, tells you the limit the camera it set at, and your exact speed.
Old 01 April 2004, 09:19 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Write a letter to the Chrief Constable of the police area where the camera is locate. Complain politely that you were not exceeding the speed limit & ask to see the calibration data & photographic evidence. Be concise, polite & professional. DO NOT ADMIT TO 32mph.
Old 01 April 2004, 09:43 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
how can you have a 4 lane duel carriage way

i thought dual meant 2 lanes?
Dual Carriageway means theres 2 separate carriageways i.e. theres a central reservation. Nothing to do with the number of lanes.
Old 01 April 2004, 10:03 AM
xiw2155
Scooby Regular

was this today and was the camera in a position where you can park up near to it??

if so go back and look at the top perspex lense, if its empty there is no camera. if you see the rainbow coloured lense of camera then hope the film was full.

not all boxes have flashes and cameras, but some have just the flash which is still triggered by radar or the pads in the road even if there is no camera in the box. if you look you will see the bottom right lense is the flash on some cameras these are either there or not(flash). you can definately see the camera lense in the top left if there is one in the box. if you cant see one then there isnt one in the box

fact : the cameras are 15grand each and on average each police force has 20 cameras. regardless to the 300 or so boxes in the county. the actual chances of getting caught by a gatso are slim.

my friends dad is traffic cop, the cameras are calibrated to +-10% no more to allow for the calibration of speedos.

hope i havent confused you, but go back and av a quick goosey gander if you can, it will put your mind at rest. if no camera happy motoring, if there was a camera then at least you know youve been caught, instead of crapping your load for upto 4 months

cheers
nick (Y)
Old 01 April 2004, 10:13 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

sorry im confused -how does he know hes been done or what?
Old 01 April 2004, 10:23 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Difficult to understand why a road like you described is restricted to 30 mph anyway!

Les
Old 01 April 2004, 10:59 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Difficult to understand why a road like you described is restricted to 30 mph anyway!

Les
I'd have thought that was obvious - there's a camera on it and it doesn't LOOK like it should be 30 = lots of revenue tax
Old 01 April 2004, 11:04 AM
HYP1C
Scooby Regular

The road is Preston to Blackpool.
I've already had the letter of intent, which I filled in because I was told by a Traffic Policeman that I would be able to go on the speed awareness course(so no points).Well surprise you can only go on the course if your doing exactly 35mph.
What annoys me is that if I'd been stopped by a Traffic Cop, it'd be a verbal to slow down and a quick chat about the limit , which you'd respect.
When you ring up to find out more info on the prosecution, it's only an info line with options, and its says that they don't need calibration certificates and that the cameras and operators are all trained.Oh well thats OK then.
As for voting governments out, well they're all the same,as motorists are an easy target.It's harder catch real criminals after all.
Cameras don't help the Police in the respect stakes at all ,as now if I see someone doing something wrong I'm more likely to go and help them than stop them.
Cheers
Gary

PS I already have a Bel detector ,but I thought it was 40mph road.

Last edited by HYP1C; 01 April 2004 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01 April 2004, 11:15 AM
wrxsmo
Scooby Regular

Have been caught twice like that, both at night on very quiet roads

Have now tipped the balance back a little in my favour with a Snooper S4 neo & so far I'm very pleased with it
Old 01 April 2004, 11:29 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

I Know that road well... I used to drive along there to work every day. Will be on it again on Monday when I drive Preston to Blackpool. Its littered with speed cameras and the speed limit varies quite a lot 40-50-60-30 etc.

The dual carriageway part as you just leave Preston used to be a 70 zone, then they dropped it to 50, then 40 and now 30. At 70 you used to get a lot of crashes where the docks road merges and where the Freckleton bypass (aprox 1 mile secton) turns off, so the reduction to 50 was probably quite sensible, but the further reductions are purely revenue orientated! So much for Lancs CPO not prosecuting minor offences!

The interesting one is the Docks road out of Preston, also dual carriageway (70mph). The last 1/4 mile they reduced to 50 as above where it merges with Blackpool road, but then a couple of years later they decided to reduce the lot to 50 for no reason - never any accidents, open fields either side. Surprize, surprize a couple of speed cameras appeared, one for each carriageway. They lasted about a week before the cameras were ripped off leaving the pole with wires hanging out of the top! 5 years on, they've never tried to replace them, still got the pole with wires hanging out but its also still a 50 zone, although nobody takes any notice, everyone drives at 70, theres never any accidents and the police don't try to potrol it!
Old 01 April 2004, 06:41 PM
powerman
Scooby Regular

Got done for same, 36 in a 30 and there is some wazzacks on here who think thats justice,and has for 30mph dual carriage ways they do exist and one that comes to mind is a tunnel under the Leeds Bradford airport about 1/4mile long,no pedestrians allowed and no way across to the other carriage way and guess what the boys in blue sit at the end of this road with their cameras EASY PICKINGS....what ever happened to driving to suit the road conditions and not looking at the bloody speedo all the time.i wonder if anyones been done for going to slow? Rant over
Powerman
Old 01 April 2004, 07:34 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

stepping out in front of a speed camera must be one of the most dangerous places around, as your always too busy checking your speed. if it was near a school you,d have a youngster under your wheels
Old 01 April 2004, 07:50 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Gary

Don't give up just yet - if you want to fight this - there are ways that you can delay the process to the point that they may (and I stress may) not follow it up. PM or email me for more info. I've been fighting a similar ticket (48 in a 40 - 3 lane carrigeway, light traffic and a 50 mph limit less than 150 yards from the camera) and so far I am having some success (that was probably the kiss of death ). Was this a fixed Gatso or mobile unit?

Chris
Old 01 April 2004, 07:54 PM
toigye
Scooby Regular

tossers enough said, sorry for ya m8
Old 01 April 2004, 08:34 PM
HYP1C
Scooby Regular

Fixed Camera.
YHM
Cheers
Gary
Old 02 April 2004, 12:38 PM
Rewolf
Scooby Regular

It's just about making the motorists life hell.

This is from the ABD web site, and shows the real attitude that they have....

Daylight Robbery on the M4
A blundering Welsh safety camera partnership has admitted to a "mistake" having sited a speed camera outside the limit that it was supposed to be enforcing.

The camera was placed to catch drivers speeding in a temporary 50 mph limit in roadworks on the M4 outside Newport. Instead it photographed aproximately 2,500 drivers who had left the speed limited zone and were legally and properly increasing their speed to normal motorway speed.

The innocent drivers, who have paid fines totalling aproximately £150,000 to the camera partnership, are now entitled to ask for their fines to be refunded and for the penalty points to be removed from their driving licences. But in a shock announcement, the camera partnership has stated that it has no intention of contacting the drivers to inform them of the mistake. Instead it is "considering appeals" from individual drivers. So far there have been ten of these, and all have had their convictions overturned.

The other thing to consider is whether the limit was a legal speed limit - many are not, also from the same site:

30MPH Speed Limits On Many Rural Roads Declared Illegal
In a landmark ruling at Redditch Magistrates Court on Tuesday (9 December), a driver was found not guilty of exceeding a 30mph speed limit because the speed limit did not legally exist.

Worcestershire County Council, the authority responsible for introducing the speed limit on the B4551 in Romsley, had used legislation intended for use only on roads with street lamps, but the road through Romsley has no lighting. The Association of British Drivers brought the test case after discovering that several councils had been misusing the legislation in this way.

In his ruling, the District Judge made it clear that Parliament had never intended the law to be interpreted in the way the county council had done. It is illegal to exceed 30mph on a 'restricted road', defined as a road with street lamps spaced not more than 200 yards apart. But the council had tried to make the B4551 a restricted road, despite the absence of street lamps, and the Judge ruled that this is not legally possible. There is an alternative legal process that the council could and should have used to set a 30mph speed limit.

The implications of this judgment are enormous. Many councils in recent years have reduced speed limits on rural roads from 40, 50 or even 60mph to 30mph, with no road safety justification. Where the roads have no street lighting and the councils have used the same procedure as Worcestershire, those 30mph limits are illegal and cannot be enforced.

Wouldn't know how to start going about this though....

Last edited by Rewolf; 02 April 2004 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Used HTML <> tags not [] for bold bits...I will know for next time...
Old 02 April 2004, 03:25 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Angry

On a similar theme I have just noticed that a Section of the A12 approaching the Blackwell Tunnel has been reduced from a 50 to a 40 no notices to highlight the new lower limit only noticed it because the Origin Bluei display warned me of the fact I was breaking the speed limit! doing 43 Mph. funny enough loads of cameras on this stretch as well probably find takings were done so they lowered the limit to raise the revenue.

And recently I had to cross tower bridge to discover SPEC'S in situ and a 20mph limit so speed camera signs but there every where now days but the SPECs units were not painted yellow! so much for the MET reducing its reliance on speed limit enforcement as a way of fostering good public relations!
Old 02 April 2004, 06:04 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear off your bad luck mate !! have discussed it before, and will say it again !! try www.photoblocker.com for that licence plate spray, check the site out and have a good look thru all the various tv, radio reviews / testements, etc and get back and tell me what you think ??

for all those that have plenty to say on the non effectivness off this spray, then please forward evidence that this very stuff does not work, and I mean this very spary and not just an anti-flash number plate that have been proved many times not too work !! as have yet to see any storys off this stuff not working yet !! ie the evidence off its effectivness is written in the many, many independant reviews but no has ever proved it doesnt work !!

for anyone with a contact within the forces ( traffic ) wonder if you would like to get in touch with me ?? as I would love to have this very spray and another similarly designed number plate tested under real life gatso camera conditions to see what the results are for myself.
Old 02 April 2004, 08:33 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Er, so are US number plates identical in design, construction and components as those in the UK - er, i think not (even if said spray worked over there).

Try aluminium (er, aluminum) foil over the plates - guaranteed success

mb
Old 02 April 2004, 09:43 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by jono300
try www.photoblocker.com for that licence plate spray, check the site out and have a good look thru all the various tv, radio reviews / testements, etc and get back and tell me what you think ??
You wouldn't in anyway be affiliated with that company would you?

for all those that have plenty to say on the non effectivness off this spray, then please forward evidence that this very stuff does not work, and I mean this very spary and not just an anti-flash number plate that have been proved many times not too work !!
I've never heard of any of this type of product actually working, why would this one bw any different. At best the police have to resort to enhancing the picture to read the plate then you get done for defacing your numberplate

as have yet to see any storys off this stuff not working yet !! ie the evidence off its effectivness is written in the many, many independant reviews but no has ever proved it doesnt work !!
Those will be the many many independent reviews that are written on their website and a couple of obviously paid for TV spots! Sorry not convinced

for anyone with a contact within the forces ( traffic ) wonder if you would like to get in touch with me ?? as I would love to have this very spray and another similarly designed number plate tested under real life gatso camera conditions to see what the results are for myself.
Do you really believe that the police will help you test your, sorry, this product designed to illegally deface numberplates and help people avoid prosecution? What planet are you on!
Old 02 April 2004, 11:02 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

LOL. ..my aussie brother inlaw claims peeps use various spays for said purpose ou there -but havent heard any individual cases from him yet............
Old 02 April 2004, 11:35 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
You wouldn't in anyway be affiliated with that company would you?

Nope not affiliated in anyway to this american owned company, pity as I bet profits are booming nowadys, and with most off the uk press having featured this stuff now I bet theres a lot off folk who have donated to there yearly profits !!!

I've never heard of any of this type of product actually working, why would this one bw any different. At best the police have to resort to enhancing the picture to read the plate then you get done for defacing your numberplate

Okay mate agrea with you that you may have not heard off this product actually working but have you also heard off it not working ?? plenty off folks all claiming that anti-flash dont work, which has been proven to not too !! but not one negative report off this spray not working !! sure there would be plenty off folks willing to give the game away if it did not work ??!!

Those will be the many many independent reviews that are written on their website and a couple of obviously paid for TV spots! Sorry not convinced

okay mate so theyre all made up ??!! sure you have read all the reports / tests within there website ?? there is a heck off a lot off them, try the link to the swedish tv programme one,certainly says it all for me !!

Do you really believe that the police will help you test your, sorry, this product designed to illegally deface numberplates and help people avoid prosecution? What planet are you on!
yes I actaully do believe they may be interested mate, as a matter off fact !! not all forces agread, because many differnet forces have very different attitudes to all things !! but ask a mr steve warren off the uk speedtraps website this same question and he will point you in the right direction within his website, where if you care to look you will find a test of anti-flash plates carried out with help off the west yorkshire police, with there police bike equipped with one rear anti flash plate !!! appology accepted !!!

but okay mate know what you are saying,

there not all going to go out off there way to help you determine what works and what doesnt !!! bet they have carried out there own tests on this spray thou !!!

lastly, valid point regards the make up off uk plates being differnet to usa plates regards materials used,

at the end off the day you pays your money and takes your chance, my own cars rear plate is sprayed with this stuff and from reading around the web I know a lot off other folks who would like to trust that this stuff works when called upon also !!!

just always surprises how so many folks seem to disclaim some products with no real evidence to back up there own claims, the makers have put there points across but still no one has proven otherwise thats all I am saying !!!

cheers,
watch your speed out there !!
john...

Quick Reply: F*!*in Speed Cameras !!!!