Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Juddering when i pull off from cold?

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2004, 11:07 AM
Matt_Turbo_2000
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Juddering when i pull off from cold?

Hi,

When I first get in car in the morning and pull off the car judders quite violently doesnt matter how much revs i give it or how fast a raise the clutch. It's wierd once the clutch is out its fine its as if I am not giving it enough revs and its going to stall but if I give it more revs its even worse??? Once I have gone a few miles its fine no problems any ideas what it can be?
Old 02 April 2004, 11:08 AM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

Had the same on ours, they replaced it under warrenty with an uprated clutch which supposedly doesn't do it any more.

I believe it is a common problem????
Old 02 April 2004, 11:08 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

The standard clutch is a sh1te judderfest. Eventually it will judder all the time. Only way to fix it is with an upgrade (Helix are good).
Old 02 April 2004, 11:10 AM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

"They all do that sir"

A good full bore start 'should' cure it, otherwise, Subaru did an upgrade for classics that you 'might' be able to get under warrenty if you still have one.
Old 02 April 2004, 11:30 AM
markwild
Scooby Regular

my 98MY UK does it - just as you describe - first 3 to 4 miles, each time you pull off from standing start - but OK otherwise....

Its done it for 3 years / 60000 miles, so I wouldn't worry too much !

Mark
Old 02 April 2004, 11:35 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

That can also be caused by a bit of burned oil on the clutch plate, but it usually does not go away when it has warmed up though.

The Helix clutch, although expensive, is very good.

Les
Old 02 April 2004, 11:35 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Not just Classics - our Bugeye does this as well....
Old 02 April 2004, 11:39 AM
Matt_Turbo_2000
Scooby Regular

Good to here other people have had the same problem will live with it for the moment and then uprate the clutch at a later date thanks for the advice.
Old 02 April 2004, 11:54 AM
barrybudden
Scooby Regular

I just noticed my MY99 has started doing this too, I think I'll live with it if I can.
Old 02 April 2004, 11:56 AM
Scooby Roo
Scooby Regular

Clutch and flywheel to cure I do believe
Old 02 April 2004, 12:04 PM
SJWRX
Scooby Newbie

Yep, judder here too. Just got my MY02, was ok for about 2-3 weeks and now has judder always in the morning on a cold start!
I've used the search feature on this subject( great feature by the way! ) and there are hundreds of posts with a juddering problem. Think this happens to all Scoobies throughout their life!
Gonna try slipping the clutch a bit later to see if that helps as this appears to have worked for many users on this forum.
Old 02 April 2004, 12:09 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Wink

Juddering when i pull off from cold?

Sorry m8 had to have a giggle at that statement...

try doing some warm-ups first m8

You'll be much more relaxed...

Dazza
Old 02 April 2004, 12:10 PM
ScoobyDean
Scooby Regular

I get the same problem on my MY00 UK. I had been wondering about this for a while. Slipping the clutch seems to stop it happening so much.
Old 02 April 2004, 12:20 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

This is gonna sound like absolute cobblers and witchcraft but I cured this problem on my P1 with an Earthing Kit.

Probably poor driving technique however I found that to stop the juddering you had to give it lots of right foot when the car was cold. Anyway, Group Buy on the P1 WOC got me an earthing kit for £35, I'd always poo-poo'd them as being snake oil but For £35 I thought what the hell.

I don't think it's changed the actual performance at all but start up, idle and pulling away when cold are utterly and totally transformed. I have had no clutch judder since fitting this kit. No idea why.

Like I said, probably just poor driving technique on my part but this kit has cured the problem for me.

I have no links with the seller nor am i on commission. The clutches are crap and are a known problem. But like I said, "clutch" judder is now no longer a problem for me
Old 02 April 2004, 12:23 PM
scandinavian flick
Scooby Regular

My Y reg Wagon wrx did it then they did the clutch & flywheel under warrenty ok then.
Old 02 April 2004, 12:23 PM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

I have a MY00 with the same problem - not all the time tho'. Some days she will judder and others she won't. I just make sure that I give her a bit more revs before pulling away and I don't seem to get the problem. As and when funds allow I will sort the clutch and flywheel
Old 02 April 2004, 12:29 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

As the others have said, a clutch change can cure this, but, you will likely find that a full bore standing start will clear it for a good old while.

Incidentally, you don't have to shell out on an expensive clutch to guarantee one that is judder-free. The £120 Borg & Beck unit available from Autospares doesn't appear prone to this problem, and will be more than up to a standard or mildly modified engine.
Old 02 April 2004, 12:37 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SimonH
This is gonna sound like absolute cobblers and witchcraft but I cured this problem on my P1 with an Earthing Kit.

Probably poor driving technique however I found that to stop the juddering you had to give it lots of right foot when the car was cold. Anyway, Group Buy on the P1 WOC got me an earthing kit for £35, I'd always poo-poo'd them as being snake oil but For £35 I thought what the hell.

I don't think it's changed the actual performance at all but start up, idle and pulling away when cold are utterly and totally transformed. I have had no clutch judder since fitting this kit. No idea why.

Like I said, probably just poor driving technique on my part but this kit has cured the problem for me.

I have no links with the seller nor am i on commission. The clutches are crap and are a known problem. But like I said, "clutch" judder is now no longer a problem for me
M8 can you pick some number for me for Saturdays lotto...

Dazza
Old 02 April 2004, 12:47 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

GM _ Must agree that letting the clutch slip in second and giving her a good old revving does clear it for a few days
Old 02 April 2004, 12:49 PM
Cider boy
Scooby Regular

Smile

A couple of full-bore starts sorts this cold judder out on my MY98 Turbo for a good few thousand miles, gets rid of it altogether.

Also a good excuse! "Racing away from the lights officer, no, not me, I'm just curing my clutch judder problem"

Last edited by Cider boy; 02 April 2004 at 12:50 PM. Reason: sp!
Old 02 April 2004, 12:53 PM
Twohats
Scooby Regular

you and me both Dazza
I tried it once but i warmed my hands over the heater first lol
aaah dear theres always one!
Andy
Old 02 April 2004, 01:28 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Talking Ah.....roll in the experts

Like I said, kids, it's cured the problem on my car. Maybe it wasn't the clutch, I don't know. Couldn't give a monkey's really

Had juddery clutch that was never cured on my modded MY00 and then the same on my P1. My car is now pleasant to drive first thing in the morning when cold. Maybe it wasn't the Earthing Kit - could it have been the KnockLink? Or maybe the new screenwash?

Still, I'll leave you experts to it

You gotta love this place!
Old 02 April 2004, 02:02 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Simon, where was the kit from ? - I don't mind a bit of 'ju-ju' for 35 quid, no matter how illogical it mind sound, Captain !
Old 02 April 2004, 02:15 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Talking

There's a Group Buy on the P1 Web Owners Club - I think you'll need to register to get in to the site (no great shakes). Thread is http://www.p1woc.co.uk/bbs/viewtopic...er=asc&start=0

What it doesn't do is stop the bloody thing slipping in 5th when I put 305bhp/295ftlbs tq through it.
Perhaps a bit more air in the spacesaver might cure that......
Old 02 April 2004, 02:44 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

LOL - Or maybe change the CD's in the autochanger !

I'm surprised it slips at 'only' 305 though - maybe its on the way out - I run 281/262 through my 98UK clutch (after 105000 miles) and it doesn't slip - and there's plenty on here with more on standard clutches, so perhaps you're in for a bill soon

Mark
Old 02 April 2004, 03:13 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

2 Scoobs (classic MY00 and new shape MY01), 4 clutches (one on each car replaced under warranty) and everyone has at some point juddered. The new shapes seem to be less prone - or maybe not quite as noticable, but it still happens. The latest clutch in my current car appears to be the best of the lot. At the moment, it is not doing it at all. If I get another Scoob, I would certainly look at fitting an uprated clutch.

Chris
Old 02 April 2004, 06:55 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Quote:Must agree that letting the clutch slip in second and giving her a good old revving does clear it for a few days

Maybe, but you will probably be shaving off 1000 miles worth of wear on the plates in the process Do the done thing, either get it sorted under warranty or drive around it, i.e. let clutch out slowly with revs building progressively as it bites. Takes some skill with both feet but cures the problem. But then again since I live out in the outback (Suffolk) there are no junctions or traffic problems after I have set off
Old 02 April 2004, 07:33 PM
gridgway
Scooby Regular

Default took 3 attempts

Took 3 goes to get this fixed for my P1. Not sure what final combination of clutch bits it was, but the 3rd new clutch and flywheel finally sorted the judder. Mind you I reckon that cost a few quid more than the earthing kit! Good job it was fixed under warranty!

Graham
Old 02 April 2004, 07:44 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Bluto - hmm - - Not sure 'letting clutch out slowly with revs building' would work, as that shakes the transmission to pieces !!! (Though this is normal procedure without the other 2 options - 1) let clutch out and lurch forward, 2) rev as I suggested earlier)

Also, as I've done 105000 on this clutch, I don't think I'll worry too much

Don't think my 98MY is still under warranty - specially after the mods I've done to it...