ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

EVO at bedford ?

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2004, 12:38 PM
WR-one
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVO at bedford ?

spotted this in members gallery - roll on 7th April - if the WR1 doesnt pip the P1 then my orders cancelled and the P1 stays......

http://img3.photobucket.com/albums/v...cescoobies.jpg
Old 02 April 2004, 12:47 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

Hope the P1's faster....

It's also a nicer colour LOL
Old 02 April 2004, 12:49 PM
WR-one
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jasoon
Hope the P1's faster....

It's also a nicer colour LOL
also the P1 actually exists.......not just a figment of my imagination..
Old 02 April 2004, 12:51 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

Im sure youll enjoy it when you get it, how about geting it painted WR Blue??? LOL
Old 02 April 2004, 12:53 PM
WR-one
Scooby Regular

I know you're not supposed to speculate, but I am going to assume that the order they are in the picture is their final Evo rankings!!.....no doubt the Spec C boys will not wish to speculate...lol
Old 02 April 2004, 01:05 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

Ill go for
1 STi RA Spec C
2 WR1
3 P1
Old 02 April 2004, 03:43 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Wr-one,

I don't think so mate. have you been in a spec c?

Can someone please explain to me what makes the WR1 special apart from the extortionate price tag for what looks like a difficult to sell coloured uk sti but with stickers and a dccd-a which you can specify on a jdm car.

I had heard also that the UK stis were the same as wrxs in japan, and that the engines were thus not the same as jdm spec sti. Apparently they red line lower.

if that is true then it looks like Prodrive should be given another award for their marketing and little else.
Old 02 April 2004, 03:45 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

is the spec C not a 2.5?
Old 02 April 2004, 03:47 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i actauly really like the colour

WR blue is done to death and looking a bit boring IMO
Old 02 April 2004, 03:50 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

WR blue is done to death, but its still the colour of the World Rally car
Old 02 April 2004, 03:56 PM
LitchfieldImports
Former Sponsor

Talking

Russell wishes it was a 2.5 lol

Iain

www.litchfieldimports.co.uk
Old 02 April 2004, 04:02 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Cant for the life of me see why anyone would sell a P1 and get a WR1 anyway Theres a few months warranty on mine still, and i can get another 2 years for £500 ish.
Old 02 April 2004, 04:06 PM
WR-one
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by iainlit
Russell wishes it was a 2.5 lol

Iain

www.litchfieldimports.co.uk
Iain,

I thought they would have tipped you off with the Evo verdict ?? or have you been sworn to secrecy ?
Old 02 April 2004, 04:16 PM
WR-one
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
Cant for the life of me see why anyone would sell a P1 and get a WR1 anyway Theres a few months warranty on mine still, and i can get another 2 years for £500 ish.

Ummm....

- because its got 4 doors for the shopping
- it's a different colour to all the others
- it's got the ability to assume rear wheel drive so you can pretend to be driving a beamer
- its got a suretarc rear diff when the others have mechanical diffs - and the difference is.....ummm
- it comes with a posh key ring
- it's got a maxpower grill
- its got black seats that dont show the dirt up
- its got an unequal length manifold because it likes to sound like a real scooby rather than a jet engine
- its not got a twin scroll because it likes a bit of lag to allow you to change gear

cant think of any more....
Old 02 April 2004, 04:42 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

- because its got 4 doors for the shopping

less rigid, therefore poorer handling

- it's a different colour to all the others

yes its a horrible colour which they can't sell, and if you think you like it its only because prodrive have convinced you you should. I bet they are using it because they either can't shift them or can get a bulk order in that colour for less money!

- it's got the ability to assume rear wheel drive so you can pretend to be driving a beamer

so has any type r, and the spec c and the type 25 etc etc. nothing special about that, any dccd car can. and btw its only 67% to the rear, not 100!

- its got a suretarc rear diff when the others have mechanical diffs - and the difference is.....ummm

suretrac diffs can be had on any sti, and experience has shown it to be less predictable and less stable than the equivalents from quaife and modena which can be retrofitted for those who care!

- it comes with a posh key ring

gay marketing.

- it's got a maxpower grill

QED

- its got black seats that dont show the dirt up

black = bland

- its got an unequal length manifold because it likes to sound like a real scooby rather than a jet engine

like all other imprezas before without the price hike? the fact that it was brought in as a distinct improvement is of course irrelevant, as long as it sounds good but doesn't perform then everything is great? I think it sounds better with the twin scroll personally.

- its not got a twin scroll because it likes a bit of lag to allow you to change gear

can't argue with logic that flawed!
Old 02 April 2004, 04:52 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

must say the reasons above are pretty slim pickings from a move from a P1 to a WR1. The only two that stand out are the diff control (which I personally thought was crap when i had a sti5typeR) and the suretarc rear diff (which im assuming few if any have experience of driving before buying )

Lets re-cap, you want a car which is easier for shopping, pretend to drive a BMW and no proper Impreza noise. All so you can twiddle a posh (Ha!) keyring in the pub knowing that the dog sh*t the kids have picked up on their feet wont stain the suede. Still :P

Having lost over 10k on my P1, I certainly wont be rushing to get a WR1!
Old 02 April 2004, 05:50 PM
LitchfieldImports
Former Sponsor

Cool

WR-one I was there
Old 02 April 2004, 05:54 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

Tart You coming to the GT racing this weekend BTW?
Old 02 April 2004, 07:03 PM
gridgway
Scooby Regular

Question Shall we speculate then (not you Iain!)?

So I reckon it's

1st Type 25
2nd Spec C
3rd P1
4th WR1

BTW which edition of EVO are we waiting for?
Graham
Old 02 April 2004, 08:41 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by gridgway
So I reckon it's
1st Type 25
2nd Spec C
3rd P1
4th WR1
Maybe 3rd and 4th the wrong way round and only guessing

I reckon on the "wish list" will be the top two But the WR1 the "buy List" for most UK owners. IMHO

Originally Posted by gridgway
BTW which edition of EVO are we waiting for?
Graham
7th of April IIRC

Tony
Old 02 April 2004, 08:47 PM
gridgway
Scooby Regular

Default Prob right

Tony, you are probably right, just couldn't bear to have a P1 at the bottom! So as the Type-25 is really too much money for me, I'll jave to change my P1 for a Spec C.

Graham
Old 02 April 2004, 09:44 PM
subaruwr1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adam M
Wr-one,

I don't think so mate. have you been in a spec c?

Can someone please explain to me what makes the WR1 special apart from the extortionate price tag for what looks like a difficult to sell coloured uk sti but with stickers and a dccd-a which you can specify on a jdm car.

I had heard also that the UK stis were the same as wrxs in japan, and that the engines were thus not the same as jdm spec sti. Apparently they red line lower.

if that is true then it looks like Prodrive should be given another award for their marketing and little else.
"I don't think so mate. have you been in a spec c?"

Have you been in a WR1????????????
well?
Old 02 April 2004, 09:49 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

less rigid, therefore poorer handling
The WR1 utilises the new age shell which has a much higher torsional rigidity than any classic, including the 22B. It is heavier though so handling is affected by that, but your statement is wrong.

yes its a horrible colour which they can't sell, and if you think you like it its only because prodrive have convinced you you should. I bet they are using it because they either can't shift them or can get a bulk order in that colour for less money!
Wrong again, the colour was chosen for reasons i know well, poor sales isnt anything to do with this in any way. All WR1's are produced to order from IM as normal and then were produced at the factory in japan. This isnt a get rid of poor moving stock exercise as implied. Personally I like the colour and didnt need Prodrive to convince me, so try not be a mind reader because you suck at it.

so has any type r, and the spec c and the type 25 etc etc. nothing special about that, any dccd car can. and btw its only 67% to the rear, not 100!
If you want to be pedantic its actually 66.66%R/33.33%F torque split with the centre diff fully unlocked, the torque split can then vary depending on diff lock ratio and load, it uses the DCCD-A which the TypeR doesnt have which incorporates the ABS system and an active control system.

Thats disapointing, the mechanical plated rear LSD makes the DCCD cars much more fun to drive, i dont like suretrack diffs, they cant handle kerb hoping or rough surface roads too well.

like all other imprezas before without the price hike? the fact that it was brought in as a distinct improvement is of course irrelevant, as long as it sounds good but doesn't perform then everything is great? I think it sounds better with the twin scroll personally.
So why have your 22B engines got single scroll turbos?

It has unequal length headers because it is based on the EU spec engine which is homologated for Europe, until the rest of Europe sees the need to change we are stuck with that. But what you do get as standard is a 320PS PPP engine package, which is a big improvement on the 265PS standard engine and plenty enough for most people.

You have to accept Adam, that things have changed in car design in general, they are always going to be heavier than a clasic due to crash and construction regulations so some of the weight advantages of a lighter car are gone forever, but taking that onboard you have to be able to see that the WR1 is a good spec car and if you are looking for the backup of a full UK waranty it's a damn sight better an option than prior to it being made available.

Pity the STi5/6 RA doesnt make that list because its a much faster car than the P1 and just as easy to live with.
Old 02 April 2004, 10:00 PM
subaruwr1
Scooby Regular

I have to say a certain element..Not everyone are just wanting the WR1 to be a failure...why?
We are all scooby owners and lets just revel in all that is our passion, if it be a P1 a spec c or a WR1 etc........just enjoy all that is subaru..
Old 02 April 2004, 11:43 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I think you are misunderstanding john.

I was just answering each of the points made, not trying to show that my car was better. I personally am not keen on the new car because of its looks, but what I was saying was not about new against old. I said the a four door shell is not as stiff as a two door shell, that is true, I didntr mention new versus old, just that four door will not be as good as two door. accepting that, you cannot deny that rigidity of shell will improve handling.

as for the twin scroll turbo, I could not find one to suit my power requirements, and dont appear to have a trouble getting the thing to spool up, plus if I did I would rely on anti lag.

and you may think you know the real reasons for wr1 colour choice, but that would be because you believe what you hear. who says I can't be cynical and think that IM are just trying to maximise teir profits again.

I was refuting the wr1 against the likes of the spec c or the type 25, not against the classic, I think it is wrong again the prodrive can stick a badge on the back of a jdm wrx with a dccd in it and convince people it is the be all and end all when there are far better imprezas to choose from which are better value.

At least they put effort into the P1 and produce a car which really was good for the average driver on UK roads.

The WR1 is literally just a sticker, not even a plaque.

Would be interesting to compare spec c lap times against the WR1.
Old 03 April 2004, 07:51 AM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

EVO mag Arrived this morning.....

Best Impreza ever.............Type 25
WR1 4.5 stars
Spec C 5 stars
Type 25 5 stars
P1 5 stars

Havent read the full article so I cant tell you any more.....
Old 03 April 2004, 10:11 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To be fair to Prodrive, you can only do the best with the tools you are given, now if they were given a nice JDM car with all the goodies, i think the WR1 would have been a considerably better all round car

Tony
Old 03 April 2004, 10:25 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Just read the feature (in part at least)

Track times:-

Spec C 83.4 secs
Type 25 83.8 secs
WR1 87.4 secs
P1 WR 88.2 secs

Don't forget that the Spec C and Type 25 have more track-oriented tyres....

0-100:-

Type 25 10.6 secs
Spec C 11.1 secs
WR1 13.1 secs
P1 WR 13.3 secs.

Quotes from Evo:-

".... the claims for the WR1 suddenly looked fanciful...."

"That means that the WR1 is about as fast as the 300bhp WRX STi PPP we recently figured for an up-coming feature."

"I love the Spec C for its extreme nature, but the Type 25 offers just as big a hit of adrenalin with a bit more subtlety and useability thrown in. It's the best Impreza I've ever driven...."

"Its suspension is fantastically well honed and the development of the 2.5 litre flat-four is inspired. Sure, £34,000 doesn't sound cheap for an Impreza from a company you might not have heard of, but it makes the WR1 look expensive."

Oh, final figures that I can be bothered to post - 60-80mph in Sixth:-

Type 25 3.8 secs
Spec C 4.6 secs
WR 1 10.6 secs.....
P1 WR (in Fifth) 5.7 secs (which is about the same as the WR1 in fifth!).

Cheers, HB.
Old 03 April 2004, 10:37 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Forgot to add....

If you're comparing these lap times to older Evo figures, remember that the circuit has been modified. They reckon it's about 3.5 secs longer than before.
Old 03 April 2004, 10:44 AM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

Very True Tony

You can only do the best with the tools you are given

Quick Reply: EVO at bedford ?