Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Hello! from America! Impreza RS owner here! Pls. don't laugh too hard at me.

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2000, 10:53 PM
Snoopy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm one of those envious American lurkers that read about your daily routines with your turbo charged Imprezas. I love my car and I'm quite impressed with its "performance". Of course, ignorance for me is bliss especially when my car is but a watered down version of yours. I just hope we do get a turbo Impreza one day. Too bad the turbo model will be under the "new" body design(from the spy photos of the black Scoobie taken from Germany) and so far, I'm not too fond of it.

As you know, many of Americans salivate for the turbo Impreza that you guys have. Here's my question for you :

Are there cars from the US you wish you had over there? *laughter heard from across the Atlantic*

I thought so.
Old 22 June 2000, 11:11 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

well lets see.......
mmmmmmmm
eeeeeerrrrrrr
hang on
eeeehhhhhrrrr
oooooo i know a Viper,
hang on we can get them here anyway

Major difference between US and UK is that we can get any car we want, as long as we don't mind LHD. Why not come over for a visit, anyone who comes all the way over here is more than welcome to have a go in my STi2

Paul aka Paul UK
Old 22 June 2000, 11:21 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Ooops sory that was rude! Please let me appologise (in the time honoured English manner!)

Your RS - Is it the Jap Twin Turbo version like the Legacy? - In which case you have nothing to be ashamed of - I would love one of those - with climate, leather boost guages etc etc dream , dream - Or a new B4 RSK BLitzen - Ahhhhhhh

Mick
Old 23 June 2000, 07:33 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yeah, a Shelby Mustang, drat not made anymore. The new Maserati 3200 spider will be launched over there first - how about that?
Chuck
Old 23 June 2000, 07:52 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

There is a car you guys get that i always like the look of when over there.

Its the mitsubishi eclipse, both hard and soft tops are great looking little cars. As far as i know only spain and usa get that model.

Theres also a funny little 50's retro thing, cant remember what make it is, but it looks real cute, and has more retro than a car park full of new beetles !
Old 23 June 2000, 08:11 AM
dholmes
Scooby Regular

Snoopy,

I lived in the states for 18 months and owned a 95 Mustang Cobra ( modified to 320 bhp). Great fun in the dry but was a death trap in the wet. Fantastic exhaust note though. Had the option of bringing it back to the UK with me, but gas is 4 times the cost over here and this thing did about 16mpg.

Darren
Old 23 June 2000, 08:14 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

Cool

I would love have my Ford Expedition over here, I loved driving it back in the US.
Old 23 June 2000, 08:59 AM
Maxwell Straker
Scooby Regular

I don't think there are that many now that I would be drooling over, but i would like to pay half the price for cars like you do.

In the past I would have gone for Mustangs, Corvettes and T'Birds though. Big engines, plenty of power and exciting handling!!!!
Old 23 June 2000, 09:05 AM
Ian Sutton
Scooby Regular

Talking

Apart from the viper GTS which as some one mentioned we can get over here the only thing i would like from the good old U S ofA if a tanker full of your ohh soooooooooo cheap petrol.

...Ian
Old 23 June 2000, 01:06 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Cool

I understand your frustration, but in a selfish way, I'm kinda glad that we have something that you don't for a change - you have so many things that we don't - great ski resorts, cheap gas, cheap golf courses, decent beaches, etc etc

No, wait a minute - I've changed my mind - everyone deserve's a decent Scooby. Take up Paul's offer and have a holiday!
Old 23 June 2000, 05:51 PM
KevinS
Scooby Regular

No there aren't any American cars I would like, just their pertol tanks full of cheap US petrol would be great. Whats the point of having a quick car their when you have such strict and slow speed limits. I would be bored to tears driving at 55mph
Old 23 June 2000, 06:29 PM
Opie
Scooby Regular

Fellow American lurker here...

our speed limits have been raised, now we can go 70mph on the interstates & highways!
Old 23 June 2000, 06:46 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Kev

I drove over there in Michigan State. With the strict speed enforcement it's really amazing everybody was driving at 55mph max. You can feel like a complete rebel doing 60 !
It's wierd. I had a big Cadillac - took it up to an indicated 85 mph! that was a real thrill - I probably could have gone to jail for life if I got caught!

Mick
Old 23 June 2000, 07:32 PM
Formula1
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Hello everyone!

One plus that we have- when I take the Viper GTS out, there is enough open expanse of road here to almost reach top speed- Correct me if I am wrong, but the roads over there are really crowded. Can you take your cars up to 160+ mph on a 4 lane interstate without hesitation of running into someones ****? Don't get caught though!

That is another plus for the U.S.- The only thing I envy in England is the variety of cars available!

John
Florida
Old 23 June 2000, 08:38 PM
Kevin Tree
Scooby Regular

John (Formula 1)

I'll look out for you when I come over in August, what colour is your Viper?

Kevin
P1
Old 23 June 2000, 08:52 PM
Formula1
Scooby Newbie

Talking

It is a blue and white GTS... I will try to post pics- by the way it is almost sold. Honestly- the car is alright, but my father and I have had alot of electrical problems with it.

Lots of torque!

John
Old 23 June 2000, 11:11 PM
EdwardH
Scooby Regular

Snoopy.

Welcome.

I lived in the US when I was younger and was rather fond of your sports cars- big engines, big tyres and fast; a classic recipe+ lots of character.

Unfortunately driving conditions ( and petrol costs - $8/gallon??) are rather different in europe therefore I would always buy a a UK or Japanese car for use here.

If I ever go back to the US I could certainly be tempted by a Mustang, Camaro or Firebird.

I think you can be proud of your sports cars.

Ed
Old 24 June 2000, 06:32 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Snoopy

I had a holiday in Florida recently. At the airport I picked up my hire car and the Avis guy asked what I drove back home. I told him about my Impreza and he gave me a blank look. He asked his collegues and they didn't know what this subaru was either. It wasn't very impressive, I think he thought it was some Jap 'Neon' or something.

I didn't see one either when I was driving around.

Question- why do you need cruise control when the speed limit keeps changing on the interstate highways? very irritating.

f
Old 24 June 2000, 11:22 PM
Snoopy
Scooby Newbie

Even though our highway speed near the cities are 55mph, most everyone drives well over the speed limit. I constantly cruise at 65-75mph. I guess the muscle cars here aren't really designed for cornering since many of our roads are straight mostly.

Viper-GTS, eh? Well....even though we could get them here, the price is a bit out of our reach and not exactly a daily transport like our 'prezy.

Our Mustangs here are over-torqued that it's nearly useless in the snow and damp roads. Power is limited by its poor handling unfortunately. They don't carry the tuned suspension that powerful Porsches and BMW's have, but even those cars can be a bit fidgety(though I've never driven either one) around the corners.

Our gas prices are quite reasonable for sure. I believe that if your government were to lower the tax rate on petrol, there'd be more travelling done and eventually business would reap the rewards because of more travellers, don't you think? Most of you wouldn't think twice about the price of fuel if you plan on doing a lot of road trips, now would you? I just realized how fortunate we are regarding fuel prices. Hardly anyone here considers the fuel expenses when going far away. If it were $8 a gallon...well, that mind set would change now wouldn't it? My girlfriend has a favorite shapping mall she loves to go to and it's well over 25 miles away. We drive there all the time and we frequent the other restaurants there too.

Still, I'd love to have a turbo Prezy and cheap fuel prices. Who knows? One day....
Old 25 June 2000, 08:58 AM
elondan
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cars from the U.S I would like to see in Israel:
* Lexus GS400
* Lexus IS300
* Viper
* Mustang Cobra
* Corvette
* New Celica 180HP
Old 25 June 2000, 11:54 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Floyd:
<B>Snoopy

I had a holiday in Florida recently. At the airport I picked up my hire car and the Avis guy asked what I drove back home. I told him about my Impreza and he gave me a blank look. He asked his collegues and they didn't know what this subaru was either. It wasn't very impressive, I think he thought it was some Jap 'Neon' or something.

I didn't see one either when I was driving around.
[/quote]

Scoobies were all over California when I went the year before last - obviously a West Coast thing! (Landrover Discoveries were bloody common too)

Steve
Old 26 June 2000, 08:54 AM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Talking

When I was a kid I loved watching the Dukes Of Hazzard and in particular, Daisy Dukes ti........er, I mean the General Lee.

Would that have been a Dodge Challenger?

(Can't wait for the anorak race to answer this one )

blubs
Old 26 June 2000, 01:27 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

I'll bite: it was a Dodge Charger, same as the one what they used in Bullitt.
Old 26 June 2000, 01:54 PM
Nightmare
Scooby Regular

I wanna Plymouth Prowler
a lot
and you cant get them here cos they wont let you take em out of the US (or so Ive been told on a couple of oaccasions) I know there's one in the UK (even seen it on the road ) but thats all.....

when I was in Arizona last year I was also amazed at the fact that almost everyone seemed to be doing the speed limit - with the exception of a Viper which overtook me at about 120... - it was cool!!
Old 26 June 2000, 01:58 PM
Nightmare
Scooby Regular

I wanna Plymouth Prowler
a lot
and you cant get them here cos they wont let you take em out of the US (or so Ive been told on a couple of oaccasions) I know there's one in the UK (even seen it on the road ) but thats all.....

when I was in Arizona last year I was also amazed at the fact that almost everyone seemed to be doing the speed limit - with the exception of a Viper which overtook me at about 120... - it was cool!!
Old 26 June 2000, 02:08 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

For those wanting to try get a few cheap bits of clothing etc when in florida, there was a subaru dealer (small tho) around the florida mall area. it was either orange blossom trail or john young parkway cant remember which.

if i was gonna have a plymouth, it would have to be the roadrunner, hilarious thing and a wing bigger than my scoob !