Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Where to start with my Mods? Help please...

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2004, 10:47 AM
MY97_Toy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to start with my Mods? Help please...

Hi there I am after some help. I have owned my MY97 UK Wagon for 6 months now and am looking to "enhance" the performance of the car rather than going out and out for massive BHP etc. My back box is coming to the end of its life so I think that would be a good starting point. Nothing too loud though. The K&N 57i? possibly? Centre section? This is where I not run out of ideas.......
Old 22 April 2004, 12:02 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

A full, turbo back, decat exhaust system is the classic UK turbo 2000 perfomance enhancer. If will make the car loud though. Induction kits make a great/max power (delete as nesc.) sound but do very little for performance IMHO.
Centre section and backbox is a good start as very cheap and easy to fit, if you then find you need more then go for the decat downpipe.
Have a look in the techy forums for LOADS more ideas.
Rgds
Chuck
Old 22 April 2004, 12:13 PM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

Agree with above. You might also want to consider upgrading the brakes, as the MY97 2 pots are crap. You could just do disks and pads, but I would suggest sourcing some MY99-onwards 4 pot calipers (2nd hand in the For Sale section), and uprating the disks, pads and brake fluid too, although you may need new wheels as a result.

T
Old 22 April 2004, 12:24 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Yes mate agree with Chuck. I also have a 97 Turbo (Uk saloon rather than wagon). Initially started with the full decat and back box and then went with the Blitz induction kit. Not only was this loud it played havoc with the air flow sensor. As such decided to tone down and went for an ITG panel filter and immediately noticed a difference.

Have now gone down the tuning route and sourced second hand parts (HKS Boost Controller, knock link, uprated fuel pump, fuel cut etc) which sees it running about 285 bhp at 1.2. Just bought the TD05 turbo to break the 300 bhp barrier. In essence I think I will have spent approx £2k to get it there.

Also cant ignore the suspnsion and braking areas. Gone for the Godspeed kit 325mm discs as well as coilovers and a full TSL geometry set up.

The trouble is once you start you cant seem to stop....................
Old 22 April 2004, 01:33 PM
gridgway
Scooby Regular

So OT a bit, but how does the ins co deal with all the upgrades? Are there really companies that says that's fine when you tell them about the upgrades?

Do they say that's fine, no price increase or
that's fine, small or modest increase or
that's fine, big increase or
stuff off after 2 mods and max 10% power increase?

Graham
Old 22 April 2004, 01:39 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

I found Admiral was a problem as pretty much everything cost £50 extra (backbox - £50 plse, gearknob - £50 please) and eventualy I had more mods than they could fit on the system apparently so they said stop LOL
Liverpool Victoria say anything goes..weido's
Each is different though regarding insurance.
Full exhaust on a UK turbo 2000 with Admiral was just £50 though...they didn't ask what performance increase was...impossible to prove anyway.
Rgds
Chuck
Old 22 April 2004, 01:42 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Also note that technically the full decat will put your car into an unroadworthy condition (ie it could not pass an MOT) so insurance companies sometimes get a bit 'nervous' about it...I'd always declare it as a performance exhaust system, not a 'decat' exhaust.
Rgds again,
Chuck
Old 22 April 2004, 06:36 PM
Red Rocket 11166
Scooby Regular

I would go for a oval Magnex back box and Magnex center section, there are a couple of wagons in my area with these fitted and they sound tidy. ( Not too loud ) and legal.

Don't bother with a DV spend you cash on something worth while like brakes etc.

Red.