ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Would you buy this?

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2004, 01:40 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Would you buy this?

Is it risky to buy a car that may have been standing for a long time?

Looking to upgrade my classic Impreza to a Forester S Turbo and have come across an interesting situation. Apparently Subaru Benelux had over-ordered previous model Forester S Turbos and has now belatedly decided to unload the excess vehicles at attractive prices.

0 km, unregistered MY02 models with all the toys (cruise control, Blaupunkt sat nav & cd changer, moosive electric sunroof, heated seats; mirrors and front screen etc) are starting to appear in the dealer network with a full manufacturers / importers 3 year warranty for the same retail price as a lower spec used MY02 S Turbo with say 30,000 km and only 1 year remaining on the warranty. I assume these unregistered cars are likely to push the used S Turbo market lower eventually.

Would you buy a car that may have been standing at the docks for up to 2 years? I assume the vehicles have been rotated and fluids periodically changed, but of course cannot be totally certain.

I figure the 3 year Subaru warranty covers most of the risks on my side...

Would you go for it?
Any advice is appreciated as I need to make a decision shortly as supply is not unlimited and it would be nice to have a spanking new high-spec Forester under the carport, even if it is the previous model.

Suresh
Old 23 April 2004, 01:57 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the engine's point of view, I don't see why it would need "rotated and fluids periodically changed". If it has just sat statically in the same positions, there would be no wear on the engine which would need any fluid change.

Sounds a bargain to me if you're prepared to accept the older shape. I *think* the warranty will be 3 years from the date of registration surely? No brainer in that case!
Old 23 April 2004, 02:00 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Thanks dude.
Yep, warranty is from date of registration date, sorry if my post wasn't clear.
Old 23 April 2004, 08:11 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Yep - go for it.

ps This Advice does not constitute a warranty from me or any of my agents in any way - any decision you make is down to YOU
Old 23 April 2004, 08:44 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It should have a pre registration/delivery service just to check everythings ok anyway, if this is done then all should be good

Tony
Old 23 April 2004, 09:08 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Apparently Subaru Benelux had over-ordered previous model Forester S Turbos and has now belatedly decided to unload the excess vehicles at attractive prices.
Or perhaps they ordered what they THOUGHT would sell, and they didn't, as they aren't that good a car??

Alcazar.
Old 23 April 2004, 12:49 PM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

I bought a BMW323iSE from Bapchild a few years back. It was £10k, as it was listed as a 102,000 mile motor (most were around that, as they were 3 years old +).

When I picked it up, it turned out to be 2,000 miles! It had apparantly sat in a garage of a guy who died, and the car didn't go back until the lease ran out.

Got it independently verified, and it was sweet as a nut!
Old 23 April 2004, 04:40 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Cool Goodbye Impreza, hello Forester

Thanks for the feedback.

Ordered a 'new' black mica Forester S Turbo this afternoon and will take delivery within a month.

Suresh