ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Impreza vs Integrale

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2000, 01:45 AM
wall
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

As discussed in another post, due to a permanent move to Italy, where STIs don't exist and EVOs are detuned to run on 95ron and cost way more than anywhere else, I will need to choose between the following:
MY00 Turbo - great car, and with simple mods can be almost Sti-like
MY01 - the great unknown
Lancia Integrale Evo2 cat - looks great and is a classic, but is it fast or will it seem ancient and slow after my Australian Sti??

Any advice?

wall
Old 27 June 2000, 08:49 AM
SDB
Scooby Regular

I hate to say it but, you there are a couple of negative things you will notice if you get an Integrale.

1) Straight Performace
The power is quite underwhelming compared to an STi (Although the EVO's are much better and the EVO2 is not a million miles away in feel to a UK scoob).

2) Turbo Lag / Torque
It may just be the ones I've driven but they seem to have monumental lag, and very little low down torque.

It is such a shame, I really love the Integrale (probably because of the motorsport background), but thing have moved on, and whilst I would definately own one if I wanted to run two performance cars, it would not be for the performance.

I REALLY wish I had owned one years ago whilst they were still the business.

On the plus side, the handling feels really nice, seems to be a bit more adjustable mid-bend than the scoob. Also it really FEELS like the sturdy, short wheel base it is and give you the feeling of being in a car which you could hurl through the woods at silly speeds

Saying that... you might LOVE them. I would suggest test driving a shed load.

Regards

Simon
Old 27 June 2000, 01:40 PM
PAUL GEE
Scooby Regular

Wall,
I've owned 3 Deltas - an 8v, 16v and the last one being an Evo. The sixteen valve and particularly the Evo are fantastic cars not just in terms of handling, but (at the time) great performers too. I had the sixteen valve upgraded to 265 bhp and it went like the clappers! Great fun.
I now drive a 22B, and during the first few weeks of ownership it reminded me a lot of the Evo. If you can find a 'good one' and spend some money on an upgrade, you'll have a ball! Could take some finding.
Have fun.
Paul.
Old 27 June 2000, 07:35 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

Talking

I ve got an evo2 and prior to that had an evo1 with mods - appx 280-300 bhp.No problems with straight line speed there!

The evo2 is much better built (by hand virtually) than the others but is cattted and has a smaller turbo so less top end power potential unless you go hybrid.

The handling is superb and can best be described as "delicious" in its poise and delicacy when the car is well set-up.

The look is so dramatic and you certainly get noticed but most people havent a clue what it is. It generally feels a very special car to own and only the 22b approaches its charisma amongst the current crop of road rally cars.

problem is the`re geting scarcer and good example with low mileage even harder to find.

They are, for most of the above reasons not suitable as an everyday car hacking around to the shops and work, the subaru is much more suitable for that.

[This message has been edited by zoog (edited 27-06-2000).]
Old 28 June 2000, 01:52 AM
wall
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for the info guys, looks like I'll be doing lots of test driving. I've seen some good cars online at Lancia dealers (dealers=12month warranty) around northern Italy, two 1994 Evos with around 40000km, and one great Red Dealer Collection (one of the latest made) with 16000km only!! I would have purchased if I was already there (not flying over until early September). Love my STI V but the 'grale looks the business.

wall
Old 29 June 2000, 05:45 AM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

don't bother, I holiday in Italy and you can't own a car unless its full of scratches or bumps.
Old 29 June 2000, 06:22 AM
wall
Scooby Regular

Question

LeeMac,
what do you mean? I have visited relatives there, and all their cars seem fine (admittedly, they have garages - don't know about cars left on the streets).

wall