ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

P*** *** wagon on A14 5.20 today

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2004, 08:47 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry P*** *** wagon on A14 5.20 today

Was on the commute home today when in my rear view I noticed a Wagon undertaking on the A14 during the busy commute time home.

Anyway I pulled out when I needed too but he took offence at this as I was daring to slow his progress as he was now back into the outside lane. I pulled from the normal lane to the overtaking to overtake a lorry at about 78 so if I seriously impeded his progress he was going a lot faster than I gave him credit for.

It was as you would expect pretty busy at this time and I was basically doing 75-80 ish as was the rest of the traffic in the overtaking lane.

He tried a couple of times to undertake using gaps in the normal lane, but didnt manage it as per expectations there wasnt time.

After a few minutes I passed a lorry and on seeing a decent gap I went to move over to the normal lane, only for this idiot to have already tried to get the jump on me and to have pulled over to undertake me.

He then pulled along side and to my total disbelief pointed at the rear view mirror as if I was in the wrong. Its exactly this type of driving that causes accidents, the road was honestly too busy most of the time to expect to do anything more than 75-85 as the inside (normal) lane was pretty busy with lorries and the the outer lane crammed with cars vans etc. Why do people think that buying a fastish car automatically mean they can do what they want?

Anyway gave a friend of my a quick bell and gave him the details. Just happens to be an Inspector in the suffolk traffic so hes going to ask for the reg to be watched our for in that area (west of Ipswich) for a while
so any traffic spotting matey are going to pull him. Paying particular attention to exhaust etc.

I have now decided to sell my scoob, Im gonna get out before the only people driving them are ar$eholes like this pushing premiums sky high with idiotic driving like this.

robski

ps.. watch out for bits in the forsale section soon lol
Old 21 May 2004, 11:00 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand it's your choice if you want to sell your car. However to do so on the basis of your post seems rather illogical to me.

For what it's worth I had a similar incident the other day involving a motorbike. I was in the wife's Micra at the time. I can't say that I either lost any sleep over the incident nor decided to sell the car

When I found a suitable spot to slow down so I could question biker ar$ehole on what his problem was he chickened out and rode off! Now if he was in the right, as he thought he was.....
Old 22 May 2004, 02:54 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Lettuce know what your mate does to this driver if/when they come across him.

In fairness, there are drivers of ALL cars that are ar$eholes so you're gonna have a job finding a car that's soley driven by decent people Could always walk I suppose

Agreed that the typical profile of a scoob driver isn't the best these days but you knew that before this incident right?

Anyway, what are you thinking of getting instead? Safe to say not a bmw
Old 22 May 2004, 08:47 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

A14 is the worst road ever for peopl queueing up to over take a lorry.

Personally I have done the same on many occasions.

I have seen a queue of 20 cars in the overtaking lane, waiting to overtake a lorry. If you are not going to use the inside lane I will!!
Old 22 May 2004, 08:55 AM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

I have now decided to sell my scoob, Im gonna get out before the only people driving them are ar$eholes like this pushing premiums sky high with idiotic driving like this
? I agree he was an ****, but I had the same with a crappy old astra 1.4 on the A355 yesterday. only two lanes, and ducking and darting when it was pretty busy. everyone ended up flashing him.

But I won't avoid buying an Astra because of him - he's just a kn0b.
Old 22 May 2004, 09:20 AM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

I can understand what Davyboy is saying about the A14 and many 2 laners when there is a huge line of traffic waiting to pass a lorry (normally as another lorry has been in the outside lane to pass it a few seconds before).

It depends how you use the inside lane though. If you do it gradually and not hare past at 20/30 mph more than the outer lane, it a) doesn't p*** people off the same and b) let's them know you are there.

Depends on the road, but there are many occasions nowadays where there is a case for gradual / controlled undertaking. Flamesuit on.
Old 22 May 2004, 09:31 AM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by robski
Anyway gave a friend of my a quick bell and gave him the details. Just happens to be an Inspector in the suffolk traffic so hes going to ask for the reg to be watched our for in that area (west of Ipswich) for a while
so any traffic spotting matey are going to pull him. Paying particular attention to exhaust etc.
Whats the exhaust got to do with it?

The driver may read this then go for harassment if he gets nicked
Old 22 May 2004, 09:40 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Agreed all makes of car have people using them to undertake

the real difference for this incident to every other incident I have seen was the severe attitude problem.

I DRIVE AN IMPREZA GET OUT OF MY WAY, I CAN IGNORE THE RULES OF THE ROAD. must have been the thought going through his head.

He was basically driving aggressively which in rush hour traffic is just idiotic in my mind, you really can't make that much better progress when its that busy so why bother? (Motorways I think you can a bit but busy lorry laden duals you cant)

I hate to see long queues of traffic trying to get past lorries etc but IMHO moving to the slow lane to deliberately undertake and then try to force your way back across is still worse driving than the people not using the inside lane correctly.

Why people insist on trying to average 90+mph during rush hour is beyond me, its not going to happen on a busy road, why cant people wake up to this fact, slow down a little and make more constant progress. Im 100% certain it would reduce accidents which at the end of the day waste more time than a few people save by driving dangerously.
Example, the other day I was following a BMW (what else ) and at each opportunity he sped off to quickly catch the next cars in front he then proceeded to have to keep braking as he was driving too close, I would catch him at a constant 70 and then wait to see him do the same again.
Why? he didnt get where he was going any faster, he did however repeatedly use the brakes and certainly more petrol.

I probably wont get to know if/when he gets pulled, unless they find anything that would warrant particular mention he may just get a producer or standard fine if hes speeding when pulled. BTW its not a pul him once type thing its a "if you see this regi not obeying ALL the rules of the road pull him and check everything" type message. Its also not a full on "hunt this car" type if thing, but a word in the shell of the traffic who are patrolling this area whilst my mate is on duty. So there is a chance I may find out, but its unlikely to be more than a "we have had a chat with the guy driving the car you mentioned" Oh and he may well get pulled multiple times
Old 22 May 2004, 09:43 AM
simo
Scooby Regular

I go with all the above.

selling your car because of this 1 car??? Great, pity there are not a lot more people like you, all selling their cars. Would'nt the roads be a lot quieter for the rest of us then

Undertaking if controlled as said above, I see nothing wrong with it and do it regulary, the inside / middle lanes are so much quieter with all the idiots in the outside lane in a queue.

s

Last edited by simo; 22 May 2004 at 09:44 AM. Reason: .
Old 22 May 2004, 11:01 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

I said exhaust etc, they are going to give it a proper going over Its nothing they wouldnt do if they choose too, its just to cause him inconvenience more than anything.

I said Im going to sell the car not take up walking, IQs drop suddenly on a saturday?

Part of what made Impreza ownership for me was the people that drove them, this REALLY seems to be changing dramatically now, Scoobynet can be taken as an indication.

Im not saying all Impreza drivers are like this, far from it, but for my point of view I do now notice you get far more people looking down on you as an impreza driver now than in the days when people asked what they were.

For me its a play thing, its the 3rd car in the house, its soon to be departed I think. Its an expensive play thing which I think would now be better suited in another marque which isn't attracting so many people with the type of attitude I see on scoobynet and driving Imprezas now.

Its all personal choice, but I dont for example see the same attitude and poor driving examples from CTR driving people. I have been considering this decision for a while, maybe its the final straw to break the camels back, but as a 3rd car some of the factors that meant I bought it now dont come into play, such as reliability being key, so I can go for something a lot more fun and all together less practical, maybe can consider FORD now lol
Old 22 May 2004, 06:28 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

robski

or "My Skoda has been a lot of fun states ex-Scooby owner" ? Maybe its just me then.
Old 22 May 2004, 09:37 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

huh?

in English this time please
Old 23 May 2004, 10:29 AM
pappasmurf
Scooby Regular

...awfull road is the A14, especially through Cambridgeshire. Officially i think it's the fourth most dangerous in the British Isles for deaths per mile.
At least one person seems to be killed between Cambridge and huntingdon every week. Only this week a mother and father were killed leaving their two children who survived orphanes.
Take care.
Old 23 May 2004, 11:44 AM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by robski
huh? in English this time please
Explanation = I decided to change to Skoda after 6 Subarus due to engine failure on a 99MY and the sort of attention etc that you refer to. I've since had a year with a 220bhp Octavia 4x4 which shown me that you can still have fun if you don't want the attention or are feeling uncomfortable with the Subaru image.
Old 23 May 2004, 11:49 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What colour wagon was it (was it an sti?) as ill keep an eye out for it (or get out of its way unless im in the scoob )

Tony