ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

WR1-Sti Tracker flat battery

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2004, 10:04 PM
sumo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question WR1-Sti Tracker flat battery

At 9.00 am today I took delivery of my awsome WR1, whilst the very helpful rep went through all the do's and dont's he said that to avoid getting a flat battery after a couple of days in the garage I must not stop the engine then open the garage door, then start up and drive straight in.
The reason for this is that the tracker needs about 30 seconds to do its full send and receive cycle, if the car gets into the garage without receiving its signal then it tries repeatedly to contact the satelite which it may not be able to do through the building, therefore flattening the battery.
Has anyone had any experience of this happening, is it something I need to do?
Thanks.......Sumo
Old 22 May 2004, 10:19 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

My 03 WRX doesn't have sattelite tracking, but I still got a flat battery The 2 most plausible reasons for the 03 flat battery enigma are the alternator overcharging the battery and thus reducing its lifespan; remedied by using sidelights at all times to have a constant light drain of power And relays "leaking charge" remedied by replacing a few

One day someone may find the definative answer, but until then we all must clutch at straws. Just make sure that you contact the dealer and get it replaced within a month of the alarm chirping at start-up.
Old 22 May 2004, 10:27 PM
BlueBoy
Scooby Regular

I often leave my car on the drive in case I go back out again in the day and then put it in the garage at night. This can't take me more than 15secs to do from the position I park it in - I've never had a flat battery on my car even after 4 days without use!
Old 22 May 2004, 10:43 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

I've only once had a flat battery on my MY02 - and that was as a result of not using for 4 months....
Old 22 May 2004, 11:51 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The Arosa is so hard to ignore, eh
Old 23 May 2004, 12:08 AM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Its not recommended to start a car just to put into a garage anyway.
Old 23 May 2004, 12:56 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by sumo
At 9.00 am today I took delivery of my awsome WR1, whilst the very helpful rep went through all the do's and dont's he said that to avoid getting a flat battery after a couple of days in the garage I must not stop the engine then open the garage door, then start up and drive straight in.
The reason for this is that the tracker needs about 30 seconds to do its full send and receive cycle, if the car gets into the garage without receiving its signal then it tries repeatedly to contact the satelite which it may not be able to do through the building, therefore flattening the battery.
Has anyone had any experience of this happening, is it something I need to do?
Thanks.......Sumo
Your dealer is incorrect, the RAC trackstar fitted to the sti and wr1 will stop polling back if the car is locked and statonary for 30minutes.
It will only start polling again if the car is started or the car is moved without the alarm being deactivated or the alarm is set off.
That's what Trackstar told me.

Dipster