ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Service and Warranty thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2004, 09:55 AM
jevvyg
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service and Warranty thoughts

I have a 2001 Uk300 (yes I know the bugeyes are ugly buggers) and have put about 5k on sice I bought it (35k now) and was wondering if I should check it in for an interum service. I think the next normal service would need to be done at 40k - another 5k miles and I think that will mean I will be out of the Manufacturers warranty so if anything is spotted I will have to pay to get it fixed which is another reason for doing the interum service I think.

I also have a few items that Im not quite happy with on the car and was wondering what you guys thought should and shouldnt be covered by warranty, here goes

1. whine noise from middle of car when crusin in 4th or 5th
2. one/some of the engine mounts seem to be a bit sloppy
3. the throttle cable is a bit sticky at low throttle positions
4. if I apply the brakes when reversing I get a notocible "clunk" noise from the front brakes
5. PAS/front suspension seems to be getting a little sloppy with the odd "clunk"

I think thats it - what do you guys think - I plan on keeping the car for another year or so but want to get as much sorted under warranty before it runs out

Thanks in advance for any of your help
Old 17 June 2004, 10:01 AM
mgg
Scooby Regular

If you plan to keep the car, take out an extra years warranty with Subaru. Probably cost you about £500 but it could save you much more than that in the long term, not just that, for the sake of £500 you have the peace of mind if anything ever goes wrong.

Whining noise from the middle of the car is probably something to do with it having no pillars, just seals. I think many people often comment on some sort of noise coming from this area.

All other stuff you mention, get it done under warranty before it runs out. But seriously consider taking out an extra years warranty. It could be the best £500 you spend if anything goes worng with the car.

Cheers
Marc
Old 17 June 2004, 10:39 AM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

I get the same noise as you when applying brakes in reverse (MY01 WRX), be interested to know what it is.

Mine doesn't appear to have any adverse affects.

Chris
Old 17 June 2004, 02:12 PM
PaulT00
Scooby Regular

The "clunk" when braking in reverse is the pads shifting in the caliper. There's a small amount of movement available back and forth, and normally you only brake while moving forward, so the disc will tend to drag the pads forward, toward the front of the caliper and then they'll tend to stay there. Then, when you brake in reverse, the disc rotating the other way from normal will drag the pads back, and the pads will be "clunked" back towards the rear of the caliper.