Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

How many people do you know who have scoobys but don't know about Snet?

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2004, 01:37 PM
julian N/W wrx my93
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many people do you know who have scoobys but don't know about Snet?

There must be loads out there who don't know about us.

We should all carry cards with us to pass on to other subaru drivers.....
Old 19 June 2004, 02:03 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Loads...judging by all the non-wavers round here.
Old 19 June 2004, 02:15 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by julian N/W wrx my93
bundles i would imagine, it's not like scoobynet is advertised in mags(or is it? just can't say i've seen any ads)

i think it's something you find thru word of mouth, i didn't know it existed until i had a chat with a guy at my dealers.

looking at it the other way round, how many people use scoobynet but don't own scoobys? probably even more?
Old 19 June 2004, 02:17 PM
p@ul
Scooby Regular

None i tell em all
Old 19 June 2004, 02:19 PM
julian N/W wrx my93
Scooby Regular

hey, so do i !

well done that man!
Old 19 June 2004, 02:23 PM
p@ul
Scooby Regular

got to be done m8,best is when you get the other side of scooby owners that look at you gone out and you just say suit yourself m8 lol
Old 19 June 2004, 03:45 PM
OllieC
Scooby Regular

erm... by definition, the answer to this has to be "none". In order to find out if someone knows about Scoobynet, you have to ask them "Do you know about ScoobyNet?". If they didn't know before being asked, they will by the time you've finished asking.

It's a bit like Schroedinger's cat, I suppose. Unless I've missed something.
Old 19 June 2004, 05:28 PM
youngsta
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by OllieC
lol

Found myself googling "Schroedinger's cat" and on reading it and several of the theorys im still none the wiser.
Old 22 June 2004, 08:32 PM
julian N/W wrx my93
Scooby Regular

ok but back on topic now!

do you tell other scooby owners about our litte group?
Old 22 June 2004, 08:43 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

i wave at scoobies all the time and they look at me as if im mad. so id say there are quite a few!
Old 22 June 2004, 08:49 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M444GY
i wave at scoobies all the time and they look at me as if im mad. so id say there are quite a few!
They all said you WERE mad
Old 22 June 2004, 09:09 PM
julian N/W wrx my93
Scooby Regular

On the way to the NBO our convoy of about 40 pasted 3 scoobys going the other way, only one of those aved back at me, uness the other two where sick of waving!!!!!
Old 22 June 2004, 09:14 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

i think came across by sn by accident ......i imagine if youve newish scoob and dont go on the net ...your least likley to and the reverse
Old 22 June 2004, 10:23 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Plenty round here but not sure if they come on SN.

Aside from that, how many people have just Googled Schroedinger's cat???
Old 22 June 2004, 10:30 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how many people stumble on it and never leave <raises hand> been down hill since.
Old 22 June 2004, 11:11 PM
WR1 Wannabe
Scooby Regular

erm... by definition, the answer to this has to be "none". In order to find out if someone knows about Scoobynet, you have to ask them "Do you know about ScoobyNet?". If they didn't know before being asked, they will by the time you've finished asking.

[techie bit]
Not really - you could ask Scooby owners to write down all the Internet forums they know about - you would get an uncontaminated answer.

The point is, the number of people that own Scooby's but do not know about SN is a discrete (though unknown) quantity - it may be zero, but certainly doesn't have to be at this point in time. Measuring one part of the system (asking 1 owner) does not collapse the whole experiment, which is essentially the problem with QM. Or, rather, one of the many problems with QM.

Schroedinger used his cat analogy to highlight a paradox in contemporary quantum theory - if it applied to the question posed above as you suggest, then the answer would not be 0 owners, but all of them, some of them and none of them all at the same time!

It is easy to see why Einstein rejected the theory.
[/techie bit]
Old 23 June 2004, 07:15 AM
OllieC
Scooby Regular

As I recall from my second year Quantum mechanics Exam, "all of them, some of them and none of them all at the same time" wasn't really an acceptable answer... maybe you sat a different paper?
Old 23 June 2004, 07:54 AM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

Wink

how many people stumble on it and never leave <raises hand> been down hill since.
Guilty as charged

John.
Old 23 June 2004, 08:42 AM
subaru-impreza.org
Scooby Regular

I always carry cards for my scoob site think its a good way to advertise the sites existence + plus people normally (not all ) keep a card...
Old 23 June 2004, 09:34 AM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

Wasn't Schroedinger's cat the one out of Alice in Wonderland??
Old 23 June 2004, 09:41 AM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by David_Wallis
Guilty

I didn't know about it before I bought the scoob though, which would have been handy.
Now that I do though, if I chose to buy any other type of car, I'll be straight on the web, to find the forum for it
I actually don't have a scoob any more. I don't have a car at all, in fact, but this was the only bbs that grabbed me.
The Land rover ones can be interesting, but they're so slow compared with this, it's unbelievable, as nobody goes on there, except maybe once as week if you're lucky....
Old 23 June 2004, 09:51 AM
WR1 Wannabe
Scooby Regular

As I recall from my second year Quantum mechanics Exam, "all of them, some of them and none of them all at the same time" wasn't really an acceptable answer
Which shows why your analogy wasn't a good one.

Schoedinger was arguing about the state of a single particle - you were considering a number of particles (people).

The point being made was that, since there was an equal probablility for both states, it could be argued that each was in fact true at that point in time, with the edges between them blurred. At the moment you measured the state, however, either the dual state collapsed into one, influenced by the observer, or the universe split into two - in one universe the state was true and in the other it was false.

Einstein did not like this, and felt that only one state was true - it's just that you didn't know which until you looked. Practical lad, our Einstein.

I say again, if, and it's a big IF, Schroedinger's cat analogy could be applied to the question being posed above, then all possible states must exist at the same point in time. So everone knows, nobody knows, some people know. Which I think is absurd (and Einstein would agree with me).

I know you weren't being 100% serious, but if you're gonna chuck QM theory into a car enthusiat's forum then be prepared for a little banter.
Old 23 June 2004, 09:55 AM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

i ask again the cat was from Alice in Wonderland ...... right??

Quantum Theory...........ahhh damm good series if you ask me shame it ended.... even the A team came to an end
Old 23 June 2004, 12:12 PM
WR1 Wannabe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hawkeye
i ask again the cat was from Alice in Wonderland ...... right??

No, no, no, Alice in Wonderland was a fairy tale, where all sorts of mysterious, inexplicable and unexpected events unfolded, whereas QM is all about, erm, ah, hmm, you may have a point. Perhaps it was.
Old 23 June 2004, 10:20 PM
OllieC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hawkeye
Wasn't Schroedinger's cat the one out of Alice in Wonderland??
I went to this excellent site to check:
http://www.shuchow.com/6deg.cfm

It provides a useful illustration of the link between any 2 cats (it's meant for your own but it works for linking famous cats too).

It says this:

There are 2 degrees between your feline and Schroedinger's Cat (alive).
Your cat, CHESHIRE CAT, once sniffed the butt of Oliver, who once understudied for Schroedinger's Cat (alive).

It's only slightly spooky that my name is Oliver too...
Old 23 June 2004, 10:50 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

and people thought I was being stoopid huh
Old 24 June 2004, 07:33 AM
OllieC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WR1 Wannabe
Which shows why your analogy wasn't a good one.

Schoedinger was arguing about the state of a single particle - you were considering a number of particles (people).

The point being made was that, since there was an equal probablility for both states, it could be argued that each was in fact true at that point in time, with the edges between them blurred. At the moment you measured the state, however, either the dual state collapsed into one, influenced by the observer, or the universe split into two - in one universe the state was true and in the other it was false.

Einstein did not like this, and felt that only one state was true - it's just that you didn't know which until you looked. Practical lad, our Einstein.

I say again, if, and it's a big IF, Schroedinger's cat analogy could be applied to the question being posed above, then all possible states must exist at the same point in time. So everone knows, nobody knows, some people know. Which I think is absurd (and Einstein would agree with me).

I know you weren't being 100% serious, but if you're gonna chuck QM theory into a car enthusiat's forum then be prepared for a little banter.
FFS, you do go on a bit, don't you? I only said "a bit like" - not "exactly like" or even "mostly like". So be a good boy and stop being boring. Thanks.
Old 24 June 2004, 08:02 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Old 24 June 2004, 10:11 AM
WR1 Wannabe
Scooby Regular

FFS, you do go on a bit, don't you? I only said "a bit like" - not "exactly like" or even "mostly like". So be a good boy and stop being boring. Thanks.
As usual in this place, it turns into a personal insult. You were the one trying to be a smartass with your original reply to what was a sensible question. At first I thought you were joking so I carried it on, particulary since you left the door open on the subject with your closing line -> "Unless I've missed something".

It's only when you contradicted me and mentioned you were a practicing theoretical physicist that I realised you were trying to be serious, so I gave you a more serious reply. Now I'm being boring? I would have thought you'd find the discussion fascinating.
Old 24 June 2004, 10:28 AM
WRXPete
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WR1 Wannabe
As usual in this place, it turns into a personal insult. You were the one trying to be a smartass with your original reply to what was a sensible question. At first I thought you were joking so I carried it on, particulary since you left the door open on the subject with your closing line -> "Unless I've missed something".

It's only when you contradicted me and mentioned you were a practicing theoretical physicist that I realised you were trying to be serious, so I gave you a more serious reply. Now I'm being boring? I would have thought you'd find the discussion fascinating.
Witness the incredible power of Scooby to unite two people in intense, but friendly debate....if there was a Grand Universal Scooby Theory of the Universe it might read as follows:
(ScoobyA + ScoobyB) x Any Sodding Topic
_____________________________________ x Bo**ocks = ScoobyD
ScoobyC

Where Scooby A and B are the two main components on a well known Forum in any one thread.
ScoobyC is any other person chipping in with attempted humour(waving)
Bo**ocks is bo**ocks (in it's pure form)
And ScoobyD is the level of fun being had by any other "observer"...who by definition cannot merely observe but effects whole experiment, making for a false result!!! I have a correcting formula on this if anyone is interested!
ScoobyA and B need not be integer numbers, on account of them maybe being half wits!!!

Hehehe not having a pop fella's!!

Quick Reply: How many people do you know who have scoobys but don't know about Snet?