ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Begining to hate the scooby

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2004, 05:18 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Begining to hate the scooby

All the fun seems to have gone out of driving the scoob now the exhausts is back to standard it feels slow and the doesn't seem to give any feed back on the corners I find crappy front drivers although much slower lots more involving and fun to rag around the country roads. Between that and how little time I spend driving it (less than 8k miles this year) I am pretty sure selling it is the right decision but the question is, is the car that bad or is it my driving and what cheapish car would give reliability and great feedback from the road to my hands.

Ps if anyone wants a 1996 subaru with 67k full service history, leather, tracker, £300 sony head unit new brakes and mint unmarked gold wheels let me know.
Old 19 June 2004, 11:42 PM
scott_d
Scooby Newbie

Wink

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
is the car that bad or is it my driving and what cheapish car would give reliability and great feedback from the road to my hands.

Peugeot 106 or 306
Old 20 June 2004, 12:28 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

I find crappy front drivers although much slower lots more involving and fun to rag around the country roads.
I know exactly what you mean... Got a 03 WRX and a Smart, and in a weird way the Smart is actually more 'fun' and entertaining to drive... It's definitely more fun at lower speeds. Instead of going too fast around corners and thinking 'AAAH, I hope the coppers ain't out', it's more like 'AAAAAH, I hope I don't understeer out into the ditch'....

Sounds weird, but the scoob's too good for UK roads, you need a track to get anything out of it
Old 20 June 2004, 01:41 PM
jtabraham
Scooby Regular

Talking

Move somewhere more rural.
I live semi rural and fing if going anywhere I always take the back roads.
Scoobys are very surefooted and predictable even in the wet, but push harder and it can become very involving.
You can do a lot more in a scoob than any front drive pocket rocket.
But if you want something more fun and abit more of a handfull try an MG Maestro Turbo with a rover 220 turbo engine running about 15psi boost, cheap as chips, asquick if not quicker than a scooby and can scare the sh8t out of anyone, especialy trying to go round corners or in a straight line
Cheers
Jt
Old 20 June 2004, 06:08 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

I do live in the sticks a little but find it harder to drive the scooby fast because I can't feel the road properlY. a 106 GTI seems like a good option still the best handling car I've ever driven and a few choice mods should make one as fast as a scoob on the bends.
Old 20 June 2004, 06:21 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I do live in the sticks a little but find it harder to drive the scooby fast because I can't feel the road properlY. a 106 GTI seems like a good option still the best handling car I've ever driven and a few choice mods should make one as fast as a scoob on the bends.
Get your tyre pressures sorted, maybe better tyres and/or suspension uprated, and certainly get Prodrive settings on the suspension. THEN it will be fun and feel the road through seat of pants!

Seriously, get the suspension geometry set and try the car hard a bit ... I (nearly) guarantee you will find it involving!
Old 20 June 2004, 08:46 PM
DEEDEE
Scooby Regular

The wife has just bought a little 1.0 Corsa and how funny it is to drive compared to the Scoob. It will plod along at the limit required, with no power steering and the cornering is awfull. But hey we only put £5 in it a week, low tax and insurance. The Scoob is the car for the Orgasm.
Old 20 June 2004, 11:59 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

MX5's are great fun at moderate speeds, cheap to run, cheap to insure and they last well. Go cart handling.