ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Tyre Wear Is This Normal

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2004, 06:54 PM
Shaw.Tee
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tyre Wear Is This Normal

For the record, I am not a spirited driver, yes I like to put my foot down and feel that roundabout feeling every now and then and a little from the lights pull but on the whole I am not in a race to get anywhere, I put it down to my age, my mates take the wee out of me for being a Grandad and the reason I dont own a Road Angel is you dont need one if you don't speed .
Anyway, bought an 02 in June 2002 and started on the job of owning a nice piece of Japanese engineering, yes its expensive to run but hey you get what you pay for. After 14 months/12000 miles it was time to change the front tyres (RE011's) cause I had the outside edges worn to near slick but the rears were good and the wear was outside only nearside being the worst as you would expect (I say "expect" because I read this board first for any info on abnormal tyre wear first)
I decided to go for the same RE011's so all my tyres matched they came in at an OK price and I am happy and off I drive. I get my 15000 mile service and it was noted tyre wear on rear N/S tyre will need changing soon. Drove round for another 500 miles and decided it was time to get them changed this I did and I had the alignment done at the same time as I was advised it was a good idea, adjustments were made and off I drive fully aligned and a new pair of rear RE011's to match the front.
Now for the serious bit....
I have done approx 20000miles/24 Months and I noticed this Monday a ring about 50mm across of slick tyre on my F/N/S tyre, I was shocked, never even thought to look but the wheel was on full lock from when I parked and I could not miss it. I checked the F/O/S and its not far behind this is on the inside not the outside!!!!
So my question is..... Is this "normal"?
The reason I have put the word normal in inverted commas is because the manager of the place (Which remains anonymous for the moment) said all Scooby owners suffer this, I did start swearing at this point as I did not agree with his technical assesment and he refused to deal with me as you can imagine a big bill for tyres a week before pay day is a bit of a shock. My alignment I have been told is within tolerance btw. So 8000 miles and a tread wear more severe and totally different to a non-alligned car is "normal"
Please tell me if I am wrong, if I can make a set of front tyres with out of allignment tracking last 12000 miles why can I not make a my 8000 mile alligned tyres last as long. BTW the difference in the wear between the 12000 mile wear was nowhere near as severe as the 8000 mile ones.

If I am wrong I eat humble pie.... and I learn.

Cheers
Shaw
York
UK
Old 23 June 2004, 06:59 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the RE050's to be better than the original RE011's my car came with, they seem harder wearing IMO