Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Subaru in Fuel economy shocker...

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2004, 10:31 AM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru in Fuel economy shocker...

Well, sort of....

Like the bit about keeping the window closed

(c) 2004 Singapore Press Holdings Limited

TO prove its claims of better mileage, Shell filled up the tank of a Subaru 1.6 TS and sent it to Genting Highlands last weekend. The aim was to get there and back without refuelling.

The two-year-old car was driven by John Taylor, who holds 32 world fuel-economy driving records, and it joined 300 cars taking part in the Shin Min Fun Drive.

Together with a passenger and some luggage, Mr Taylor left the Shell station on Jalan Ahmad Ibrahim at 7.30am last Friday with 50 litres of Formula 98 - Shell's most popular fuel grade in Singapore. He queued up at immigration and customs before tackling the North-South highway at speeds from 65 to 100kmh - with the aircon off and both front windows down.

'The drag caused by winding down the windows made us lose 5 per cent of fuel economy,' he said. 'But with the aircon on, it would have been higher at 7.5 to 10 per cent.'

Nearer Kuala Lumpur, the car was stuck in traffic for 45 minutes, during which he estimated the car travelled a mere 2km.

'You need momentum in forward motion for fuel economy,' said Mr Taylor, who until then had driven the car smoothly by keeping the speed consistent and avoiding unnecessary acceleration. Having a properly maintained car and planning the journey well also helped, he added.

Despite the steep ascent to the Genting peak, and storms on the way home, the four-wheel-drive Impreza managed to return to the same Ahmad Ibrahim station on Sunday afternoon with 7.75 litres left in the tank. This means the Impreza covered 838.5 km on 42.25 litres, or 19.85 km per litre.

Average fuel consumption for the Impreza is said to be 13 km per litre, so the Shell feat is a more than 50 per cent improvement.

'Research has shown that fuel economy is a significant driver of consumers' brand and product choices, among the basics of competitive prices and reliable quality,' said Elsie Sim, Shell general manager for retail sales and operations.

'With current record peaks in pump prices, motorists are highly sensitive to competitive prices and fuel economy,' said Ms Sim, adding that while some people may drive farther for better discounts or promotions at different petrol stations, others stretch their dollar by changing their driving habits or using different octane grades.

But a word of caution.

'Just as higher octane levels do not equate to better power, it is important that motorists do not go lower than the minimum recommendation by their vehicle manufacturers.'

Shell's tips for better mileage

Accelerate gradually from a stationary position

Correct tyre pressure reduces rolling resistance

Plan your route to avoid traffic jams and detours

Most cars are designed to travel economically at 80 kmh

Service and tune your car regularly for best engine performance

Travel light... leave your golf bags and bike racks at home

Turn off the engine if you have to wait for more than 5 minutes
Old 24 June 2004, 11:06 AM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Ive just lost the will to live!!
Old 24 June 2004, 12:38 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

So by sweating, having my head blown off, letting all the pollen in, and not being able to hear anyone speak I can save 2.5% on my fuel bill.

Think I will leave the aircon on and windows up.

Lee
Old 24 June 2004, 12:48 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I think its a bit much for shell to take the credit for all 50% of the improvement. I would imagine a large portion of that is down to the driving. I bet we could all turn at least a 30% improvement if we all drove like pslewis!
Old 24 June 2004, 01:00 PM
DoctorEvil
Scooby Regular

anyone remember what clarkson did with the Audi A8 on top gear a few weeks back? London - Edinburgh - London on one tank. Amazing. Better than BB
Old 24 June 2004, 01:07 PM
Subarstar
Scooby Regular

Discovered a new way of improving fuel economy in the scoob at the weekend......

.... let the wife drive!
Old 24 June 2004, 01:16 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Subarstar
Discovered a new way of improving fuel economy in the scoob at the weekend......

.... let the wife drive!
Remember to subtract the cost of parking prangs and scuffed wheels from the saving though!
Old 24 June 2004, 01:27 PM
dosenöffner
Scooby Regular

The ECU would not learn to adjust in that time either. In theory it would inject the same amount regardles of fuel for a while.

It retards a lot quicker than it will advance.

Another report recently suggested the air-con uses LESS fuel than the drag of having a window open.

Not sure who to believe. Remember this is a report about Shell written by Shell.
Old 24 June 2004, 01:36 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
Remember to subtract the cost of parking prangs and scuffed wheels from the saving though!

and remember when the wife drives the music is on full windows open AND the air-con is ON
Old 24 June 2004, 09:30 PM
lokokkee
Scooby Regular

Economy drive demos are done under special driving setups. Tyre pressure will be inflated to the max to reduce rolling resistance, acceleration is kept to the bare minimum, e.g. never rev beyond 3k rpm, freewheeling when going down a gradient, which none of us will do in ordinary driving. I am familiar with the route taken. I once did around 75% of the same stretch (150 miles) one-way to Kuala Lumpur from Singapore in a Porsche in top gear all the way without a single gear change, that's how smooth the highway traffic is under ideal condition.

There was an earlier demo of an engine oil additive (Bardahl) where a car was driven up to Genting Highlands (6000 ft above sea level) and back, with all engine oil drained off after mixing in the additive and it was witnessed by the AA. Bet you won't dare to try it with your Scoob.
Old 24 June 2004, 11:17 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

I'm sure it was the same guy that Diesel Car Magazine got to drive a Skoda Felica diesel from Skoda's import base in Kings Lynn to it's factory in Czechoslovakia and back to Kings Lynn on one tank of fuel ( 9 Gallons )

Lee
Old 24 June 2004, 11:29 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Hmmm a 1.6 TS

now I'm sure that uses a little less fuel than a WRX Sti