POTENTIAL SCOOBY OWNER

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2004, 05:07 PM
jamesstuart
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POTENTIAL SCOOBY OWNER

Hi Guys

Looking for some advice im considering buy either a standard WRX or STI got a few questions which i hope you can help me with!

1. What the depreciation like on both of these cars (as a %), would prob keep it 2/3 years.

1. I know this has been done to death but what about MPG, the MY03 cars are meant to be more economical 30mpg WRX, 25mpg STI, so anyone who got a MY03 or newer car let me know wat ur getting, my daily commute is about 30 miles (50% slow a road, 50% dual carriageway)

2. Is there much difference in servicing costs? and approx how much do they cost to service (10k intervals i believe)

3. And finally and prob most importantly is there a big difference in terms of drving experience and speed between the WRX and STI.

Sorry for all the questions but thought u guys would know best, bloody dealers will till you anything! BTW my current drive is an BMW 03 325ci sport convertible.
Old 25 June 2004, 05:29 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by jamesstuart
Hi Guys

Looking for some advice im considering buy either a standard WRX or STI got a few questions which i hope you can help me with!

1. What the depreciation like on both of these cars (as a %), would prob keep it 2/3 years.

1. I know this has been done to death but what about MPG, the MY03 cars are meant to be more economical 30mpg WRX, 25mpg STI, so anyone who got a MY03 or newer car let me know wat ur getting, my daily commute is about 30 miles (50% slow a road, 50% dual carriageway)

2. Is there much difference in servicing costs? and approx how much do they cost to service (10k intervals i believe)

3. And finally and prob most importantly is there a big difference in terms of drving experience and speed between the WRX and STI.

Sorry for all the questions but thought u guys would know best, bloody dealers will till you anything! BTW my current drive is an BMW 03 325ci sport convertible.
Hi,
Had my 03sti for about 10 Months now, so I'm not the most informed but here goes.
1. Parkers and the like say that the sti loses slightly less than the wrx 52% for the sti and 50% for the wrx retained after 3 years. Not bad really.
I get 22mpg as an average on my sti, down to 20 if I rag it.
10K intervals for the sti yes, I think the wrx is 12k and both around the £160 mark me thinks for a 10k interval.
Drove the wrx and the sti, sold my Civic type r and got the sti cos I loved it so much. It's really what you prefer, have a drive.

I normally get cravings for another car after 8 Months or so, sold my 172 and CTR around this time (lost loads of money but hey that's cars) BUT the STI is the only car I really want to KEEP.

Hope that helps m8 and welcome

Dipster

Last edited by davedipster; 25 June 2004 at 05:41 PM.
Old 25 June 2004, 05:45 PM
jamesstuart
Scooby Newbie

Cheers Dipster

Yeah I know what you mean about changing cars, i tend to change my often had an Audi A4 1.8t quattro, only kept it 7 months , rubbish handling and ride was awful. Test drove a WRX and was well impressed, nicest car i have driven in a long while and ride was so much better than my BMW
Old 25 June 2004, 09:32 PM
jamesstuart
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

No one else got any advice for me

Also anyone bought an ex demo car recently and did you get a decent discount (seems that you can get about £1.5k off a new car, so would be looking for double that of a ex demo couple of months old car!)

Cheers
Old 25 June 2004, 09:41 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

Try a search , as I know I've seen these type of threads on here quite often
Old 25 June 2004, 11:50 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

On the road there isn't much difference in speed between me (MY03 WRX PPP) and my mates in their STi's (1xstd, 1x PPP), but the STi is a much better drivers car benefiting from many enhancements to steering, suspension, brakes and engine.
Whichever you choose, the PPP (Prodrive Performance Pack) is a must (1600 WRX/2000 STi). You can achieve higher power for less money with other aftermarket mods, but how much do you value the warranty ? I'd also recommend the Prodrive springs, but get a good geometry setting done to Prodrive steeings or better after fitting (dealers aren't always very good at this).
Target price for a WRX is usually around 18.5k + 1600 for PPP, and STi's go for 23.5kish + 2k for PPP.
I usually average about 22mpg. My frugal town driving (27mpg) offsets my fun in the twisties (17mpg).
Not too bothered about depreciation as I tend to keep my cars quite a while, but I bought mine 1yr old for 16.3k. With the spec it has, full new price would have been around 22k, so the previous owner probably paid 20.5k and took a 4k hit, but that always happens in the 1st year. If I sold it now I'd expect 15.5k, and in 2 years if alls well maybe 12k.
Services vary, with biggies at 30/60/90k, but normal 10k's are about 180. Most recommend an interim oil change between.
Old 26 June 2004, 09:37 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

if youre only keeping the car for 2/3 years and worried about depreciation why get a new one?

You might as well get one thats taken the biggest depreciation hit, especially if you are mentioning ex-demo cars
Old 26 June 2004, 09:53 AM
steve_g
Scooby Regular

Hi Guys

1. I bought a 6 month old MY03 STi with 8,200 miles on the clock and got it for £20,000 so the previous owner had took the biggest hit in depreciation (£5,000 ). I'm averaging 19.5mpg but I've only had the car 7 weeks and I've been giving it a lot of stick. I've had as high as 30mpg on long motorway runs. It just depends how you drive it.

2. IIRC the new WRX's come with 3 years free servicing so it's worth considering. My 1st service on my STi at 10,000miles cost me £115 and I supplied my own oil (Mobil 1 Motorsport 15W50)

3. I can't comment on the differences between the two but I had a civic type-r before the STi and the STi puts it to shame. I love it.
Old 26 June 2004, 01:21 PM
jmk
Scooby Regular

03 WRX PPP, done almost 14k miles now and the absolute best I've had is 25mpg; that's doing almost all mway driving for the entire tank (approx 325 miles). Daily commute - Surrey / S London - returns approx 19 MPG.

Servicing is a pain in the **** as it's very difficult to find a reasonably local dealer who does a Sat service for a reasonable price - why the hell don't Subaru garages round here do weekend servicing when people who can afford to buy their cars are off work, it’s ridiculous that I have to take 2-3 hours our of the office to get a service (rant). Anyway, servicing costs aren't cheap but reckon they're in line with BMW.

IMHO the ride is pretty good most of the time. However drive on the M25 (M23 - M3 section) and the car feel so crap that you'd expect it to have a puncture - really doesn't like concrete road surfaces and 60-85 mph. Someone's suggested I try different tyres which I'll do when the next need changing.

PPP made a great difference to the noise but frankly for £1440 (Cross Roads garage will give you a 10% SIDC discount) it's not really worth the money for the marginal improvement in performance. Also, the insurance went up a reasonable amount after this; would have been cheaper to insure a standard STi than a WRX PPP.

Overall, I'd suggest you buy a mint bug eye for approx £12-£13k, get a Tek 3 and decent exhaust. You'll save yourself the best part of £6-£7 against a new WRX, have a faster car and won’t be quite so paranoid if you have to park it somewhere 'iffy'.

But if you have loads of cash buy a new STi and PPP it.
Old 26 June 2004, 05:09 PM
Roger WRX
Scooby Regular

I bought a 7month old dealer demonstrator for £15995. World Rally Blue, UK car with tracker, WRX.

Average MPG since I have owned it = 20mpg

I am impressed with the performance, ride, etc, but feel it is time for PPP upgrade.

Car has a healthy appetite for tyres mind!!!!

My insurance for myself and wife, covered for business use costs me £601 FC, which is cheaper than a civic type r!!!!!

Regards,

Roger

No one else got any advice for me

Also anyone bought an ex demo car recently and did you get a decent discount (seems that you can get about £1.5k off a new car, so would be looking for double that of a ex demo couple of months old car!)

Cheers
Old 27 June 2004, 12:42 AM
jamesstuart
Scooby Newbie

bttt
Old 27 June 2004, 03:44 PM
jamesstuart
Scooby Newbie

just a quick update went to the dealer today and test drove an STI, chatting to him afterwards and her offered me a WR1 in a couple of weeks. I thought that these were all sold out???? He also told me that they had got a few cars from other dealers who couldnt sell them. Sounds like they be offering discounts next!
Old 27 June 2004, 04:03 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Talking

From what i have heard they have been all 'sold' to dealers and not all of them have been sold on to the general public.

This thread could end up another WR1 tear up, so Ill try my best not to antagonise the lilac boys But, as said earlier, if youre worried about depreciation, this is certainly a car to avoid if your not keeping beyond 2 years.

Last edited by scoobynutta555; 27 June 2004 at 04:18 PM.
Old 27 June 2004, 09:25 PM
jamesstuart
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Yeah interesting, I was a bit suprised at how the salesman seemed to be pushing the WR1, when i said i didnt like the colour he said looked better in real life! think i may have even got a bit of a discount or at least a decent part exchange price on my car - almost offered him a swop
Old 27 June 2004, 09:40 PM
Speedmeister
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Can't fault my 03 WRX, bought new last September.
Averaging 24 mpg albeit mostly on short journeys. No faults at all and surprised at how practical and refined it is. No rattles and good build quality although plastics not quite as tactile as a Beemer.
Can't imagine needing even more performance particularly here in the congested South East but wouldn't mind a slightly more burbly exhaust, probably Prodrive that won't invalidate warranty.
Genuinely exciting to drive when you want it to be and there is a certain pride of ownership in my book!
You know you want to!!
Old 27 June 2004, 09:58 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

James,

It's worth bearing in mind what you want the car for. Neither is slow by any means, but while the WRX has a nice pliant, comfy ride and a flexible, torquey engine, the STI is much firmer and needs a good few revs (4000+) before it really comes to life. So, if you spend most of your life on motorways or with passengers, the WRX is probably the way to go, whereas the STI will suit you better if you want maximum B-road-devouring speed and don't mind putting in the extra effort.

The PPP is well worthwhile on either car - the STI in particular is transformed - though don't expect to get your money back on this (or any other) mod when you sell the car. Some people don't want or can't insure a modified car, so it doesn't add much s/h value. (Of course, this makes s/h PPP-equipped cars a good buy if that's what you want!).

If you're not even sure you want the STI, then I'd stay clear of the WR1 - it's an expensive special edition (list price £10,000 more than a perfectly good WRX) and there are some deals around on the STI/PPP that make it seem even more so. If you do like the sound of it though, also consider a Japanese-spec import which has a much higher spec again (including the WR1's DCCD-A and a significantly revised engine) for about £3500 less.

They're all great cars, though - you can't go far wrong with whichever one you choose.
Old 27 June 2004, 10:45 PM
Wrexy27
Scooby Regular

I agree completely with andy c - WRX with sensible mods is ( and much cheaper) a better everyday car. my wrx 03 with Tek 3 and decat exhaust is stunning. I have literally just got home after a spiritual drive home from the south coast - no traffic, faster on same roads than ever before etc. STI also says LOOK AT ME - do you want that? WRX more subtle and unless you are 'MR committed race everywhere', the cost issue and real world abilities of a well sorted WRX tip the balance for me. having said that if I could afford it I would probably have gone for an STI 8 JDM version.