ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Sti Ra v2 or v3????????

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2004, 03:02 PM
fastdude
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sti Ra v2 or v3????????

Ok this is my position and I am in two minds what to do and would like some advise and opinions.

I had set out to buy an sti ra version 3 but I am after coming accross a mint 95 sti ra version 2 with 53k miles on it...
What to do?
I know that the version 3 is a higher spec but version 2 obviously leaves a bit more cash in my pocket so my questions are,

1. Is there a major difference between these two cars and if so what are these differences ie engine, interior, exterior setup etc?
2. Would you regard 53k miles as being ok mileage?
3. I know the sti3 ra has a red top engine but I am not sure does this sti2 have that. If it hasn't the red top engine, is this a big deal and what does it have over the other?

Would I be better off to wait for the sti3 ra and put more money to it or am I still getting a wicked car in the version 2 ra?

Many thanks in advance.....
Old 10 September 2004, 03:38 PM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

STi v2 RA should have the red top engine!!!

If it doesn't it might be a WRX type RA. Check the engine code against the SIDC faq to make sure you are getting what you expect!

Both v2 and v3 STi RAs should have driver controlled centre diff, red top engine, i/c water spray, and very low gearing.

The v3 has the facelift front and a few other revisions, "officially" the v3 STi also has 280ps engine vs. the v2 270ps engine.

Mileage is difficult to interpret, 53k should be nothing for these cars, but beware of clocking (can happen at the dockside on importing as little history before importing is usually available) - best to judge on condition rather than what the odometer says. Probably more important to check the car has been run on the best possible fuel since import as these cars are mapped to japanese 100RON fuel (assuming no remap has been carried out), UK fuel is not as high as this. Ideally it will have been run on optimax plus boosters this will considerably reduce the risk of detonation and possible engine damage.

Both are great cars!
Old 10 September 2004, 04:05 PM
blue haze
Scooby Regular

i have sti ra v2 and it does not have a red top, and neither has the other peoples with the same car as mine.

having said that i have heard of some having red top.

v2 is a cracking motor, but the V3 is facelift, which looks abit better IMHO.

mines done nearly 50,000 miles and is still really solid and no problems. Just inspect very thoroughly for any signs of mistreatment. Don't be put off by excessive stone chips, the paint is total cr@p so this could just be from motorway miles which are better than in town poodling.
Old 10 September 2004, 04:11 PM
fastdude
Scooby Newbie

Thanks lads for your help...this sti v2 is a fresh import so only ever been driven in Japan so that should solve a few of the issues ye told me to look out for..
Is the red top engine alot different than the non red top???
Old 10 September 2004, 04:18 PM
GariYaRally
Scooby Regular

I have a V2 STI type RA, no red top engine but has the DCCD, VIN# corresponds to a STI typeRA...

So maybe not all have red top engines ?!!
Old 10 September 2004, 05:06 PM
blue haze
Scooby Regular

i don't know of any major differences, other than one has a bit of red paint on the top and one doesn't. there might be minor differences / improvements to the newer model but i think you'd do well to notice.
Old 10 September 2004, 06:20 PM
fastdude
Scooby Newbie

Thats good to hear, cheers mate...are the seats and dash pretty much the same and would it be possible to change the front on it to give it the facelift?

Trending Topics

Old 10 September 2004, 06:37 PM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

Aha! I've just acquired an STi v2 which has a red top engine, I assumed they all did - although someone has in the past had a go at steam cleaning the engine bay on mine which has removed about half of the red paint!

The dash is pretty similar (same?) between v2 and v3, the white dials don't appear until version 4.

Edited to add: it is possible to modify the front to get the facelift, but to be honest if the facelift look is important to you I would probably recommend getting the version 3. I certainly get nervous about imported cars with updated fronts because I have seen a few which are like that because they've been in a front end smash - not to say they all are, but that is usually the first thought that crosses my mind!

Last edited by Sprint Chief; 10 September 2004 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10 September 2004, 06:59 PM
Normski
Scooby Regular

Location: Stirlingshire; Wrx type RA STi version 2 V-Limited; #097/555
Lightbulb

My car is a Sti RA ver2 v-limited, these do not have a 'red top' engine (which is only a bit of paint on the inlet manifold). All Sti version ones and the version 2 Sti RA are the only one not to have the red finish.

As to the differences, the gearbox and diffs are basically the same (DCCD and plated rear) the actual ratios are different.

The engines however are very different, they changed from phase 1 to phase 2. Which means they went from closed deck to open deck plus lots of other changes to turbo, cams, intercooler etc.

The version 3 has more power and torque as STD but the version 2 is probably better for extreme tuning.
Old 10 September 2004, 10:10 PM
YOUNG GED
Scooby Regular

Just looked in the Subaru Impreza book at the specs.
The v2 does have a red top engine.

First STI was the limited hand built run in early 94 in 4 and 5 door form which some people call version 1 but its not.

Proper V1 sales started in Nov 94 and the car had no red top engine and was only available in RA form.

V2 appeared in Aug 95 and was identical to the V1 almost.It was made at the normal Subaru factory rather than at STI as they couldnt keep up with demand.
Available in 4 and 5 door and also RA and RA V-Limited specs.
All engines had the red top apart from RA spec cars.

V3 was from Sept 96 and was the face lift version with lots of changes.

Hope this helps clear the confusion,If you want loads of info on all the models get hold of a copy of the book Subaru Impreza by Brian long published by veloce.I've seen plenty of copies on ebay so its worth a look as its alot cheaper tham the £29 you pay in the shops.

Just to add V2 had closed deck block which changed to the normal block in the V3 models.

Chris

Last edited by YOUNG GED; 10 September 2004 at 10:16 PM.