Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

UK Legacy turbo - why so many flywheel/clutch changes?

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2004, 06:41 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question UK Legacy turbo - why so many flywheel/clutch changes?

Considering getting an old UK version as a winter runabout. I've been looking at these on and off for a few years and the vast majority are advertised as having a new flywheel/clutch. Can anyone tell me why the Legacy is so bad for this yet the Impreza doesn't have this problem.

Thanks
Old 13 September 2004, 06:48 PM
sosobad.com
Scooby Regular

LoL I think the granny owners of the legacy feel they need to double clutch it often to "feel" alive! nah kidding - i never owned a legacy so i wouldnt know much but i find that a shocking statistic...people buy Legacy's?? lol kidding i think ive drank too much Ribena!
Old 13 September 2004, 07:25 PM
njkmr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kevin Groat
Considering getting an old UK version as a winter runabout. I've been looking at these on and off for a few years and the vast majority are advertised as having a new flywheel/clutch. Can anyone tell me why the Legacy is so bad for this yet the Impreza doesn't have this problem.

Thanks
Imprezas have been known to have clutch problems as well.Mate had a 99my which had new clutch fitted at 13k miles.My my 99 rb5 had a slight judder now and then also.Didnt see this as mush of a problem though.
Old 13 September 2004, 07:54 PM
Comper100
Scooby Regular

Well i have one of the last Uk turbos made, and i think its fantastic. The clutch on mine is fine as there all the same drivetrain wise as a classic impreza. No one knows what they are, you don't get hassled (except if you have a big zorst cus people think its a slow old rover) and no one wants to nick it.

There a great car.
If you want any info email me or something and ill see what i can do.

Cheers
Comper100
Old 13 September 2004, 09:14 PM
richieh
Scooby Regular

had 3 legacys.all estates no clutch probs apart from occasional judder and one slipped a bit in 5th at 15 psi (still fine at 12 tho')
richie
Old 13 September 2004, 10:26 PM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Had two Legacy's.
First one needed new clutch and flywheel at 79k but was used to tow a pony and trailer. Second had new clutch at 84k with normal driving ! Great car, carries lots and looks attract no attention whatsoever. Who nicks a boring looking estate ? Loved the look on other drivers' faces when steaming past.

JBL
Old 13 September 2004, 11:21 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, got my eye on a couple at the moment - just found it odd that many of the ones I've seen for sale seem to have had flywheels replaced. Maybe they all towed horse boxes..I know Imprezas have the odd clutch problem but haven't heard of many needing flywheels replaced.
Old 13 September 2004, 11:26 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kevin Groat
Cheers guys, got my eye on a couple at the moment - just found it odd that many of the ones I've seen for sale seem to have had flywheels replaced. Maybe they all towed horse boxes..I know Imprezas have the odd clutch problem but haven't heard of many needing flywheels replaced.
your supposed to skim the flywheel when you do a clutch swap on the impreza, but many get away without doing it
Old 14 September 2004, 10:41 AM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Had 2 Legacy saloons...

Brilliant cars, 2.2 GX - clutch change at 100,000 miles , mate of mine still has it now at ~160,000 I think.
Turbo... dunno about clutches, only had it 6 weeks & wrote it off

But my fond memories of the Legacy turbo were of it being better than the Impreza...

Mick