ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Bumper Touch Up?

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2000, 12:03 AM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Thanx Paul, I'll give ti a whirl this weekend.

Phill,

As far as I'm aware, you can't spray and treat plastic like metal bodywork. I think it's something to do with there needing to be a certain amount of flexibilty in the covering.

blubs
Old 04 August 2000, 09:39 AM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi All,

Some bright spark has scratched my bumper down to the black plastic (?) on the front offside corner, (third time this year).

It's not too deep, (Asda trolley damage me-thinks) into the plastic but there are a few scratches one of top of the other. I've looked at my touch up paint and it states it is not suitable for bumper use.

Anyone had this problem, and are there any tricks to touch it up?

Thanx in advance

blubs
Old 04 August 2000, 10:04 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I used touch up paint on my bumper without adverse effects, mine was down to the plasic as well - no reaction to the plasic and it hasn't flaked off yet. You can get plastic primer from Halfords or such like and paint that over the plastic to seal/key it the use the touch up on top.

good luck

[This message has been edited by Paul Habgood (edited 04 August 2000).]
Old 04 August 2000, 10:56 AM
phill chinn
Scooby Regular

I to have just scratch my bumper, it's quite a bit though, it's scored the plastic, can I treat it like normal body work i.e.: rub it down, prime it, and spray it with aerosol ??

Also does anyone have a colour code, or name, for a MY 98 sliver STI ?
Old 04 August 2000, 05:17 PM
S55 DVM
Scooby Regular

Question

My Scoob's got scratches on 3 out of 4 corners, and I didn't do any of them! Suppose parking in the city all the time has something to do with it!

Just got back from Malaysia, noticed a lot of the cars there have wee bits stuck on the corners of the bumper, like a buffer pad, in the cars body colour. About the size of a cigarette packet, kind of oval/square shaped. Anyone seen these thing for sale here?

Cheers.
Old 04 August 2000, 05:27 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

My understanding is that you can use acrilic paint on most surfaces such as steel and plactics. nomal celulose paint does require primer to seal the surface and provide a key for the paint to stick to. having said that for 'small' repairs such as scratches to bumpers, celulose seems ok in my experience. i belive Subaru touch up is celulose or such like. It is always a good idea to prime it with the appropriate primer first as it stands a better chance of staying on.

good luck and i am sure that someone will correct my 'well meant' advice - but it worked for me.

let me know how you get on, oh, by the way try not to touch it up (so to speak) in direct sunlight and it might be worth picking up some thinners to thin the paint, i found it very thick and it dried as soon as i put it on the brush (smal 'modelers' type brush) this will give you more 'working' time to apply it, thin coats and a few of 'em