Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

difference between classic/new age...?

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2004, 02:10 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default difference between classic/new age...?

hey all...

had my MY02 WRX PPP a couple of months now and absolutley loving it and really getting into owning a scooby...but i have questions...!

i know i can find out the 'textbook' answers, most probably from information on this site, but i was hoping someone could fill me in on a few things...namely the following...

do people drive classics because they cant afford a new age, and just because they want an impreza...?
do people who drive them actually prefer the classic, (i preferred my old 1991 ST185 Toyota Celica GT4 to the ST205 shape)...?
what are the differences in performance generally between the versions...?

the reason im asking is more for general knowledge than anything...i bought an MY02 because i wanted to get rid of my old 13 year old celica, but the more i look at the classic, especially some of the ones ive seen on here, the more i like them...(except the interior)...!!!

cheers in advance for any feedback...bri
Old 22 November 2004, 02:21 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Classic is the one to have, either a P1 or a 22b uk if youre into uk spec cars, or stis if Jap spec

Can't afford a new shape? PMSL Bought a new P1 over three years ago precisely because I had seen the new shape and hated it with a passion.
Old 22 November 2004, 02:33 PM
RB5193
Scooby Regular

Smile

How to win friends and influence them,

do people drive classics because they cant afford a new age, and just because they want an impreza...?
NOT!!

Own an RB5 myself, toy'd with buying a new shape before I bought the RB, the new shape was dissapointing to drive, to big and to smooth which made it feel a lot slower than the RB, in edition to there being only 400 or so RB5's left, not so run of the mill to own, it was more aggressive and outrageous to drive.

Just my opinion I'm sure others will say different!

Last edited by RB5193; 22 November 2004 at 03:09 PM.
Old 22 November 2004, 03:02 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5193
How to win friends and influence them,

NOT!!

Own an RB5 myself, toy'd with buying a new shape before I bought the RB, the new shape was dissapointing to drive, to big and to smooth which made it feel a lot slower than the RB, in edition to there being only 400 or so RB5's left so not so run of the mill to own it was more outrageous to drive.

Just my opinion I'm sure others will say different!
sorry, not meaning it how it sounds...no-one take it the wrong way, pleeease...!!!
Old 22 November 2004, 03:11 PM
Geddon
Scooby Regular

Everyone knows that classics are faster
The newages did add nearly 200kg iirc
Old 22 November 2004, 03:27 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

dont get hung up on performance guys, i also want to know what shape people prefer and why, etc...im aware the new-age imprezas are slugs compared to the classics...!
Old 22 November 2004, 03:31 PM
GaryScoobNCBR
Scooby Regular

I do prefer the classic shape but wish i had the newage interior..

For me its the pointy spoiler, wheels and lights that i dont like as much..

I wish they produced a new subaru with classic outside and new inners

Trending Topics

Old 22 November 2004, 03:35 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

yeah, i have to say that i am coming round to the looks of the classic but i hate the interior...i know the new-age isnt exactly a jag inside but it seems alot better...
Old 22 November 2004, 03:37 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

and why are new-ages so much heavier than classics...?
Old 22 November 2004, 04:52 PM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brihoppy
It's all to do with stiffer body, more safety features etc etc. If you look at all cars, they are becoming heavier. We used to own a classic, but now own an 03 WRX and an 03 STi and haven't looked back. For me the blobeye is the nicest yet, what with the flared arches, improved interior and available as a UK STi. They have improved the car even more for the 05 but not changed the looks department.

It's your choice, if you prefer the look of the classic go for that. Like wise if the Newage is your thing then take the plunge
Old 22 November 2004, 04:55 PM
stevie boy
Scooby Regular

Wink

until they make a new 2 door i'll stick with me classic
Old 22 November 2004, 04:55 PM
Bodgery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brihoppy
for the same reason that nearly all "new" versions of "old" cars are...new WRX's/STI's are MASSIVELY safer when it comes to crashes and driver protection. This is also mandatory if the manufacturer wishes to get EURO NCAP star ratings or the US equivalent (which the new Scoobs do very well in).

For me, the additional weight is well worth it for some more piece of mind....not that you can ever be complacent in a scoob or any other fast car.

Last edited by Bodgery; 22 November 2004 at 04:58 PM.
Old 22 November 2004, 06:43 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having gone from a classic to a new age blob eye JDM STi, all i can say is that i wouldnt touch another classic.
Its just a completely different world, better steering feel, better road presence, better handling, better brakes/gearbox/engine/clutch/looking/wheels/tyres etc (you get the gist )
Considering that these cars are heavier, the fastest 2ltr turbo impreza made to date is a new age car (also the most powerful, the S202) and even the lowly JDM STi cars are quicker than the old classic STi's out of the box.
If you want a comparison, put a new age next to a classic and look how old the classic actually looks nowerdays..... very.....

Tony
Old 22 November 2004, 07:34 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went for newage for several reasons, not all completely rational:

1) I wanted a newish car, and the latest classics were four years old - too much for me.

2) I didn't like the interior of the classic. The bugeye isn't great, but it's better than a classic.

3) I prefered the handling over a classic. It might be more sluggish (I didn't notice) but felt loads more solid when flung around corners.

4) Looks. No, really. The bugeye is ugly, but the classic manages to be slightly ugly, but very bland.

M
Old 22 November 2004, 08:16 PM
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

I got a classic because I wanted the cheapest quickest car I could afford. Love it to bits though. Like others have said I would change the interior.

When I first bought, I said no mods. Now I am on Scoobynet everyday (not much to do at work), figuring out how I can spend the next wagepacket! Have to say that even though the newages look better, are more respectable etc. that I would stick with a classic eveytime! The new Subaru's are becoming more and more like BMW's, Merc's etc (Flame suit on!) and no longer stick out IMHO.

Classics are a thing of beauty and give you so much more to play around with. Have lost most of their depriciation too!
Old 22 November 2004, 08:21 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i just prefer the older car
Old 22 November 2004, 08:34 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

Classics are lighter (1270kg v's 1410kg WRX or 1470kg for Sti) but less refined. Power delivery is much smoother on the new age cars. You can get up to silly speeds without realising, which is not something that can be said about the classic shape. It gets there but you know it's happening. You have to spend more money to get the same sort of camparable power to weight ratio EG, Sti8PPP(300BHP)=204BHP/ton, My classic wagon with 255BHP=200BHP/ton. And yes I aprecaite this is not the only benchmark to bear in mind, but it makes the point with regard to how porky the bugeye got.

Bug eye was defintely a step in the right direction with the quality of the interior, much improved, as was the sound proofing, they are near silent inside. However it's not all wonderful, in my opinion the smoother power delivery sort of loses some of the Impreza character for me. I want to feel the speed, not just see it on a dial in front of me. Also I find the steering to be without feel on the bug eye, and the brakes over servo'd with the ABS being a little bit too keen to intervene as well.

Me I drive a classic Wagon because I wanted fast and practical and it was all I could afford 3 years ago when I bought it, plus back then as it was only 2 years old it was hardly an old car either.

Having driven a modified bugeye WRX Wagon (18" wheels, Prodrive suspension and geometry, big brake upgrade, but standard 215bhp engine) I can honestly say that I would not change up to a bug eye (for the reasons above).

The blob eye now that is another thing altogether. Driven an Sti8 PPP and found it to be a step halfway back to the classic. Brakes great, steering feel returned, but refinement remains when cruising. However, with a 14month old and another one on the way I don't expect that I will be changing anytime soon. If I'm lucky I'll get to tkeep the one I've got

Last edited by Scratch; 22 November 2004 at 08:39 PM.
Old 22 November 2004, 08:49 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

I prefer the classic styling.

I'm against buying cars that are over a certain price. I don't feel I can ever justify losing/wasting the amount of money that a £20,000 car loses in one year. I find it much more enjoyable to spend X amount on a few different things that myself and my family can enjoy.
Old 22 November 2004, 08:50 PM
buzzuk
Scooby Regular

Just to add silver is the fastest colour
Old 22 November 2004, 08:55 PM
T2000UK
Scooby Regular

I bought a classic because that IMHO is exactly what it is, a Classic!

I could have bought a brand new 'New Age', but I like the look of the classic better. I can't compare the performance, I never even test drove a new age once I found the classic I wanted.
Old 22 November 2004, 09:43 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Lets face it the classic is the real Scoob.......(flame suit on) I just love the raw looks of the classic.
Cheers
Colin
Old 22 November 2004, 10:20 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

I still prefer the classic shape but after seeing Rashers S202, that is one serious nice motor.

Mind due put 320bhp into a lightweight classic with a short ratio gearbox and still brings a smile to the face.
Old 22 November 2004, 10:28 PM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothing wrong with the interior on the 98-00 classic. and the Type R is still the best looking Impreza yet.
Old 22 November 2004, 10:38 PM
adeel.a
Scooby Regular

Smile What would you buy if you had £30k????????

Just as well... I own a silver classic... 1995 Jap version... however I will admit I do like the classic shape over the new age... but the P1 is my favorite...

Can't afford it yet though... if I had £30k I would still buy a P1 and have change left for insurance, fuel, tax and service...

What would you buy if you had £30k????????
Old 22 November 2004, 10:43 PM
Ubik
Scooby Regular

Location: Covered in stickers in the year of the HUGE concrete

Originally Posted by Scratch
Power delivery is much smoother on the new age cars. You can get up to silly speeds without realising, which is not something that can be said about the classic shape. It gets there but you know it's happening.
I agree entirely. My mate has a classic I have the bug. We have driven each others cars. He found it very scary that he reached high speed without noticing, I thought his was a very noisy monster. Nice to hear the engine and turbo as loud as it is but I don't know if I would like it all the time.

TBH if you see some of the bugs with morettes (scoobchrissy's is a fine example) they look just as good IMHO.
Old 22 November 2004, 10:47 PM
little_idiot
Scooby Regular

my reason for the classic was a financial one, gave myself a budget of 7.5k (i'm a trainee teacher after all ) and came out with a my99 uk turbo2000 wagon and i love it, even the interior, with it's white dials and big momo wheel!

A mate of mine had a my97 wagon and loved it, he then got a bugeye wagon and hated it! it was very soft and didn't give anywhere near the same feeling of acceleration and fun as the my97 (i had a go in them both and concluded the same). He then drove my wagon once i got it. The result was trading in both of his scoobs for a bugeye prodrive sti as it felt more like driving the classic. After driving it, i agree.

I think with the weight difference and other such stuff, you need the power of the STI on the newage to get that same feeling as you do from the classics
James
Old 22 November 2004, 11:27 PM
New_scooby_04

James, you said it mate. I've driven a new age WRX and a new age Sti and I bought a classic. I felt that the performance and feel of the classic was much more akin to the newage STi. I guess it would be though, as when the classics were new there was no UK Sti, so the base car had to err on the side of a focused drivers car. Now the UK range consists of the WRX AND Sti, Subaru can make one a refined high performance car and the other a more focused drvers car.

They're all great though! Just depends on the importance you attach to attributes such as refinement, which is dictated -to a large extent- on what you want to the car to do!

Best,
Old 22 November 2004, 11:49 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

i know im fairly new to SN but this seems to be turning into quite an interesting thread...just like to add that although the classic is growing on me in terms of looks, especially the 22b and P1, i still prefer the overall look of the new age, and i prefer the bugeye with morette headlights over the latest version...im convinced by all the accounts that the performance of the classics is better, but my WRX PPP is good enough for me right now
Old 23 November 2004, 09:42 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

I drive a classic although I can afford a bugeye but I choose not to buy one - but then again I can't afford an 05 STI at the mo...
Old 23 November 2004, 09:52 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I brought a classic wagon so I can get four blokes and BMX's where ever I want to go...I test drove a bugeye and blob eye and didn't like the way you seemed to be removed from whats was going on around you (too quiet?), Its an easy choice for wagon owners until subaru flare the arches on the new wagons, classic wagons still look better IMHO.

Prob buy a bugeye Spec C when I stop riding tho...kinda ugly but does exactly what it says on the tin.

Quick Reply: difference between classic/new age...?