Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Legacy gt-b / b4 rsk ANYONE GOT ONE?

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2004, 08:53 PM
Scoobybits
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Legacy gt-b / b4 rsk ANYONE GOT ONE?

Seen a couple for sale and really like the look but what do they drive like?? anyone had a go??
I currently run a classic impreza bout 270horses worth which is now sold and awaiting rehoming! and cannot decide which/what to go for next..a bugeye is calling but am thinking the leggy would be a just a bit different BUT are they as driver focused as the impreza or not?
Old 28 November 2004, 10:38 PM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

I've got a 99 Legacy GT-B (so it's a wagon if your not sure), and to be honest, it never will be the ultimate B road car, it is heavier than a Imp, the steering is too light, the brakes need 4 pots, it's more difficult to get performance parts, and I think I really need a set of 18's on it. So that's the negatives, on the plus side, it's got loads more room than an Imp (even a wagon), it travels long distances in a far nicer way, the build quality is far superior even to my wife's 04 WRX, the first turbo kicks in in a nice way, but when the second turbo kicks in it swings all the way round to the redline that single turbo EJ20's just don't want to do (it does it in all 5 gears), the equipment level brings an air of quality to the interior, and chav's have no idea what has just blown them away. Cret has just opened a Legacy website for anyone interested in them @ legacy.manxforums.com. Try one at least before you buy something else so you can at least say you tried but didn't like.

Craig
Old 29 November 2004, 07:11 AM
Scoobybits
Scooby Regular

thanks for that a thinks a test drive might be worth while!
Old 29 November 2004, 01:43 PM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

As mentioned, not as driver oriented as the Imp, but unless you have a very well tuned Rex, the B4 will give its little bro a good run for its money (it gave it such a run in the real world that it ate the Imp's sales in great mouthfulls in Japan).

The GT-B is also sprightly, but a tad heavier, and has a smaller rear ARB than the B4. However, just whacking a thicker one on, and some decent links, provides isntant results

It is faster than its brakes though, so if you are after a rex beating saloon/estate, some investment is needed there.

Other than that (and the usual fuel issues), the Legy's got lots to offer IMHO. But it is more "grown up" than the Imp, so for ultimate speed and recognition, the Legacy is not the way to go IMHO. It is just too "Q"
Old 30 November 2004, 12:04 AM
screwdriver
Scooby Regular

I have an elderly GT which I like to describe as a sports tank. Huge hauling capacity, solidly screwed together, super fast. But they are desperately complex with the twin turbo setup and expensive when they go wrong.

It is great fun to drive and if you enjoy blowing away "faster" cars and are willing to exchange deft handling for massive stability, well worth a try.

Screwd.