ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

WRX V's Audi A3 TDi

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2004, 05:51 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX V's Audi A3 TDi

After nearly 2 years of ownership and 20k miles I have sold my MY03 WRX PPP and bought an Audi 2.0TDi.

As I know that there are others on here who are contemplating moving to a diesel here are a few of my thoughts on the 2 cars.

It may be worth considering that the majority of my driving is commuting to work, half on a motorway and half stuck in traffic, obviously this usage of the car influences what I am now looking for in a car.

Price

WRX PPP was 21k, Audi TDi S-Line with DSG was 21k

Insurance

WRX was £1100, Audi £369

MPG

WRX averaged close to 25mpg over my ownership, Audi is getting around 50mpg.

External

A little subjective but I never liked the look of the WRX. From the front I thought it was quite good but the rear view and spoiler did nothing for me. The Audi looks dull, nothing offensive but even with the 18" alloys it looks pretty bland.

Internal

The WRX is very plain but I found the seats to be reasonably supportive and comfy and I had no problems with long journeys, no point mentioning the stereo!. The Audi looks considerably better. There is half leather seats (though I find these a little hard although the lateral support is better than the Subarus) and the dash looks good. Overally it has a much better quality feel to it.

Handling

I bought the WRX over the STi as I felt that for my daily commute it was a better proposition (i.e. better comfort level). That said once I had had it for a few weeks I felt a little dissapointed with the handling. Too much understeer and too wallowy. In hindsite I should have upgraded the suspension.
The Audi feels less wallowy and more planted, though it is a harsher ride than the WRX and at times it does feel front heavy, though not bad for a diesel.
Other points to note, obviously the WRX has considerably better traction around the bends (though in reality I never felt I was going fast enough to really get the benefit). The Audi does not wander anywhere near as much on the motorway but the steering is taking a little getting used to (variable tension at different speeds)

Performance

The WRX was awesome when pulling out of junctions and I actually found it pretty good on the motorway - plenty of acceleration at 'motorway speeds' with a reasonably quite ride.
The Audi feels nippy up to motorway speeds. The DSG box is exceptionally smooth and gives quick consistent gear changes. I miss the 4 wheel drive though when pulling away quickly.

Miscellaneuos

I had no mechanical or other faults in the time I owned the Subaru. Most of its minus points (dull interior, runing costs) I knew about before I bought it and as such accepted them. I do not regret buying the car in the slightest however for my daily commute it was just not the right car.

I love the DSG box on the Audi, it is exceptionally smooth and changes quickly up and down the box with little or no loss in performance and economy over the manual (in reality its probably quicker that the manual due to consistent changes).
Old 07 December 2004, 06:04 PM
PROBLEMCHILD75
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the same ,03 JDM sti to a4 cab TDi to A3 2.0 sport all toys and 19 in RS6 alloys and a remap with a E36 M3 trackcar in the garage. The A3 is paying for itself with the mpg compasred to my sti but the drive to work is sooooo boring after the sti.