ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

PPP - beware before you buy

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2004, 07:19 PM
jmk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPP - beware before you buy

Long coversation to get insurance quote but worth reading if you're buying a new scoob and are considering PPP.

Direct Line's 'Technical Underwriter' quoted me £893 of my WRX PPP (03 uk car). With PPP it went up to £1440. Ironically, if the PPP was fitted BEFORE I bought the car when new - ie not 'modified' after I bought it - the quote would have been £870! Crazy.

Oh - Tesco wouldn't quote for a WRX PPP but a WR1 was actually pretty cheap to cover, cheaper than most companies quoted for a WRX!

Looks like I'll be staying with L&V.
Old 08 December 2004, 07:24 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

ive got cover with tesco on my03 sti ppp and its cheaper to insure then my01 wrx standard was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08 December 2004, 07:26 PM
TDT
Scooby Regular

I've got the same sort of thing.

My STi 8 PPP is about £400 cheaper to insure than my mates WRX PPP. I'm with Direct Line and he's with L & V. He's about 7 years older than me as well.

I don't understand insurance at all
Old 08 December 2004, 07:33 PM
Engineer@Uni
Scooby Regular

Well, it all looks pretty clear that WRX and WRX PPP drivers are more accident prone than STi drivers. That, gentlemen, is all the insurance company wants to know about. Horsepower, boost pressures, tyre compound and sock colour are all irrelevant to them. What is relevant, is will they have to fork out cash... And statistically (they seem to believe) WRX and WRX PPP is more of a risk than STi.

-Antonis
Old 08 December 2004, 10:57 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Engineer@Uni
Well, it all looks pretty clear that WRX and WRX PPP drivers are more accident prone than STi drivers. That, gentlemen, is all the insurance company wants to know about. Horsepower, boost pressures, tyre compound and sock colour are all irrelevant to them. What is relevant, is will they have to fork out cash... And statistically (they seem to believe) WRX and WRX PPP is more of a risk than STi.

-Antonis

oi i'm a wrx owner and i only have 12 points and 2 accidents

Old 09 December 2004, 09:45 AM
Flannel
Scooby Newbie

To say that insurance quotes prove that wrx (ppp or otherwise) drivers are more accident prone than STI owners is missleading. Accidents are only half the story. Your post code is a major contributing factor to your premium, your insurance comp will try and work out the likelyhood of the car being stolen... and remember, STI's come with tracker as standard...a lot of wrx's dont.

Also, if there are more wrx on our roads that sti's the chances are that more are going to be crashed/nicked? I dont know the ratio of wrx's to sti's on our roads but I would think that the former are more numerous??

Personal circumstances:
Your driving history, experience, marital status, job, all have an effect. Dont forget the level of cover your being offered which can vary considerably from company to company. Is it parked in a locked garage or on the street over night? Are you prepared to pay additional excess?? the list goes on...

These are all obvious things I know, but it demonstrates the number of factors that are considered when quotes are generated...For two drivers to compare quotes both would need to have identical circumstances even if the quote comes from the same company?

I agree though, insurance doesnt always make sense.
Old 09 December 2004, 10:48 AM
geeva
Scooby Regular

Default is it worth getting married for cheaper insurance ?

I have a turbo 2000 so I am not sure about WRX vs PPP vs STi insurance

but I do know that when I got quoted on my for just myself car the price was £900+

when I told them I was married to a teacher and I wanted to put her on as a named driver the quote was then £450?

so I did save on my insurance by getting married.........

........but if I knew then what I know now I would of paid the 900 and not go married !

Trending Topics

Old 09 December 2004, 10:48 AM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Ok make sense out of this

peugeot 206 gti(my last car bar one)£655 fully comp
subaru sti type uk £430 fully comp
both cars have trackers cat 1 alarm/immobilisers
only thing i could think of is that the 206 is becoming popular with the younger generation(max power chavs)
Old 09 December 2004, 11:11 AM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jmk
Long coversation to get insurance quote but worth reading if you're buying a new scoob and are considering PPP.

Direct Line's 'Technical Underwriter' quoted me £893 of my WRX PPP (03 uk car). With PPP it went up to £1440. Ironically, if the PPP was fitted BEFORE I bought the car when new - ie not 'modified' after I bought it - the quote would have been £870! Crazy.

Oh - Tesco wouldn't quote for a WRX PPP but a WR1 was actually pretty cheap to cover, cheaper than most companies quoted for a WRX!

Tried Tom at Subaru Insured?
Old 09 December 2004, 11:29 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

With Admiral the 03sti is £864 and with PPP declared it comes out at £1006, all on the website and all for me of course, gives you an idea though.
Admiral seem to be the only online quote that allows you to add the PPP (exhaust mods and 11-25% ecu mod).

Dipster
Old 09 December 2004, 11:33 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GRIFF007
Tried Tom at Subaru Insured?
Any details as I've never heard of them?

Just purely out of interest how would an insurance inspector know if the cars ecu has been PPP'd?

I know all the consiquences of this (ie major) and I not advocating that it should be done, just curious?
Old 09 December 2004, 11:34 AM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by geeva
I have a turbo 2000 so I am not sure about WRX vs PPP vs STi insurance

but I do know that when I got quoted on my for just myself car the price was £900+

when I told them I was married to a teacher and I wanted to put her on as a named driver the quote was then £450?

so I did save on my insurance by getting married.........

........but if I knew then what I know now I would of paid the 900 and not go married !
I'll have to try this - my wife hasn't passed her test but is a teaching assistant
Old 09 December 2004, 11:37 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

The inspector would easily find the PPP at the bodyshop pound.

Dipster
Old 09 December 2004, 11:54 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davedipster
The inspector would easily find the PPP at the bodyshop pound.

Dipster
How exactly?

I'm playing devils advocate BTW
Old 09 December 2004, 11:55 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

BTW I've just been on admirals site and there is no selection available for PPP?
Old 09 December 2004, 12:55 PM
jmk
Scooby Regular

Doubt they'd discover the ecu PPP element but the exhaust is a dead giveaway, and without the exhaust there's little point in PPP as the standard item is too quiet. Also, as I use the car for the odd bus mile I'd never want to risk being uninsured. Just wish I'd done the PPP before buying the car and I'd have saved a fortune.

Flannel - agree with your points, but as my details are the same regardless of car, then I am comparing like-with-like when looking at a WRX verses WRX PPP, WR1 etc.
Old 09 December 2004, 01:06 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ethanrob
only thing i could think of ...
Another thing I can think of, with premiums like that, is that they have covered you for a Sport
Old 09 December 2004, 01:27 PM
Tentenths
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
Any details as I've never heard of them?
Err, http://www.subaru-insured.co.uk/
Old 09 December 2004, 04:14 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

BTW I've just been on admirals site and there is no selection available for PPP?
Non std (exhaust mods and 11-25% ecu mod)

Dipster
Old 10 December 2004, 01:32 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Pushing this a bit furthur...

Let's say you declared an upgraded back box!

Them how would it be obvious the cars had PPP?

As already stated I have no intention of trying this especially with a young family, but I do like playing Devils Advocate!
Old 10 December 2004, 01:43 PM
markus_UK
Scooby Regular

I have a WRX PPP (MY04)....

As far as I know the WRX PPP straight line performance is somewhere between the Sti and Sti PPP (because of less weight etc). The problem is of course that the brakes and suspension in standard form are no match for the Sti. So I wonder if the insurer looks on the WRX PPP in the wrong hands as being a nightmare waiting to happen. I mean 0-60 4.8 (book speed) is never going to be cheap I guess ...

BTW I am with L&V - no probs so far ..

Mark
Old 10 December 2004, 01:51 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markus_UK
I have a WRX PPP (MY04)....

As far as I know the WRX PPP straight line performance is somewhere between the Sti and Sti PPP (because of less weight etc). The problem is of course that the brakes and suspension in standard form are no match for the Sti. So I wonder if the insurer looks on the WRX PPP in the wrong hands as being a nightmare waiting to happen. I mean 0-60 4.8 (book speed) is never going to be cheap I guess ...

Mark
That's a very good point!
Old 10 December 2004, 03:52 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flannel
To say that insurance quotes prove that wrx (ppp or otherwise) drivers are more accident prone than STI owners is missleading. Accidents are only half the story. Your post code is a major contributing factor to your premium, your insurance comp will try and work out the likelyhood of the car being stolen... and remember, STI's come with tracker as standard...a lot of wrx's dont.
I got quoted for lots of different scoobs when planning to buy, here are 3 from the same company (Churchill) with the same driver details, only the car is different:

WR1: £3500
STI: £4000
WRX: $4500

Make of that what you will
Old 10 December 2004, 03:55 PM
Trem
Scooby Regular

STi's have always been cheaper to insure afaik.
Old 10 December 2004, 04:48 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by markus_UK

Mark

I use L&V and have STi02PPP originally 2002 they said as long as we know no extra charge. I was unhappy with this and had it put down as exhaust Mods and ECU upgrade of 15% but charged me £16:80 for policy changes

I stil only pay £790 a year and top company to deal with

Tony
Old 10 December 2004, 04:56 PM
scoobyjimbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jmk

I have exactly the same issue with direct line about 12 months ago, and i chose to walk away from them due to their inflexibility concerning PPP on my STI7. I went to Elephant instead as i found they had a far greater understading of these mods and the quote was much lower.

Talk with your feet..

J
Old 10 December 2004, 06:01 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

I can't believe what I'm reading here. My PPP cost me almost nothing on the STi (with Subaru Insured). It's a standard manufacturers extra, and adds less than 10%. I'm afraid it's issues like this that are only ever dealt with by brokers that know what they're talking about.

Re the WR1 price, that is of course another good reason for having one. Technically has no mods at all, so I'm finding it loads cheaper to insure than the STi with PPP, 18's and Prodrive springs.
Old 10 December 2004, 06:15 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Pushing this a bit furthur...

Let's say you declared an upgraded back box!

Them how would it be obvious the cars had PPP?

As already stated I have no intention of trying this especially with a young family, but I do like playing Devils Advocate!
On the STI...
Sticker on the ECU under passenger carpet.
larger lagged downpipe cat-real easy to see under bonnet.

Dipster
Old 10 December 2004, 08:19 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Josh L
I can't believe what I'm reading here. My PPP cost me almost nothing on the STi (with Subaru Insured). It's a standard manufacturers extra, and adds less than 10%. I'm afraid it's issues like this that are only ever dealt with by brokers that know what they're talking about.

Re the WR1 price, that is of course another good reason for having one. Technically has no mods at all, so I'm finding it loads cheaper to insure than the STi with PPP, 18's and Prodrive springs.
I found a WR1 about £700 cheaper to insure for the year!