Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Owners of STI 2004/5 with DCCD - can you try this?

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2004, 09:10 AM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Owners of STI 2004/5 with DCCD - can you try this?

Turn the diff off auto setting and set somewhere in the middle on manual

Reverse on full lock

Do you get a knocking noise and what I can only describe as 'severe catching' somewhere?

This doesnt happen on auto diff

Only noticed it last night, so will investigate further today. Standard car so far,

Neil
Old 15 December 2004, 09:16 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

You would do. Auto mode would free up the diff completely under these conditions, you're asking the front wheels to travel further than the rears so there has to be some slip somewhere. DCCD can cause all kinds of nasty vibration and noise that often surprises people, but it's seldom a sign there's actually anything wrong.

I'll have a go next time I have chance just to double check, but I'm sure you'll find it's OK. I just make a point of switching DCCD back to auto when I come to park the car if I've been driving with it in manual mode. I find driving on wet motorways a much calmer and more stable experience with it on the 1st orange light. '05 JDM STI.
Old 15 December 2004, 09:23 AM
Hex
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
You would do. Auto mode would free up the diff completely under these conditions, you're asking the front wheels to travel further than the rears so there has to be some slip somewhere. DCCD can cause all kinds of nasty vibration and noise that often surprises people, but it's seldom a sign there's actually anything wrong.

I'll have a go next time I have chance just to double check, but I'm sure you'll find it's OK. I just make a point of switching DCCD back to auto when I come to park the car if I've been driving with it in manual mode. I find driving on wet motorways a much calmer and more stable experience with it on the 1st orange light. '05 JDM STI.
yes, agree with that, but it seems particularly bad on our STI though .Its not far off being impossible to reverse with DCCD off

Neil
Old 15 December 2004, 09:29 AM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Just been outside and tried it as normally I only ever drive the car on open (bottom green) or on the second green 65/35 lock.

Whilst reversing on bottom green I get no knocking at all. Second green I get a slight pinking. First amber a loud knock. Second amber, forget it! I also get the same going forwards on full lock.

As Andy says its normal and I wouldn't worry about it. Just wind her back to the bottom green or put the car in auto again.

I only ever wind the diff forward from open when its wet as she can get very tail happy If I'm tired I just leave the car in auto.

Nathan..