ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Big Thanks To AndyWRX

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2004, 11:01 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up Big Thanks To AndyWRX

As many of you know, I sold PTMW! in September to AndyWRX ( )

He was kind enough to invite me to share a drive with him at Brands Hatch today A very generous gesture & one for which I am extremely grateful

Early start & @ Brands for 07:00 Reason was that we had to strip the interior & fit the rollcage ready for the days action. The cage adds both safety & rigidity to the chasis & after having seen another wagon roll @ Paddock a couple of years back, didn't want to take any chances.

The day was run by Lotus On Track & a very well set up & organised event it was too. It meant that the field was full of Elises, Exiges and one Honda powered 340R - lovely There were also a lot of BMs from the BM Challenge that the Lotus Owners Club run.

It was also a bright and dry day, yet cool - perect for a Turbo Wagon Could've quite happily run slicks but didn't.

The day was split into 20 min sessions & we were in Intermediates. Andy took the first run & it was really strange being a passenger in PTMW! Not right!! We had a couple of "interesting" moments at Paddock after the pace/sighting car went in but I soon settled into my role of advisor, showing the lines and shouting "Brake!" and "Go For It!" & generally trying to guide Andy round the track smoothly. Fortunaltely Andy listens and learns so after the 1st session, his following ones didn't produce quite the same nervousness in me

Next session was me & I was quite nervous going out in my car which wasn't my car if you see what I mean. Took me a couple of laps to get used to the quick-shift again (something Volvo Estates don't have!) but then it was like I'd never been parted. That car is so predictable and sorted that it's a pleasure to drive. Andy had replaced the front discs and Pat had tweaked the ECU & it was running like a dream. Running 310ish BHP & with the suspension/brake setup, Elises and BMs were easy meat. The only problem was the trying to keep the u/steer to a minimum as we were losing out on the tight corners and not able to get so much drive through.

The second part of my role as advisor for the day was showing Andy what PTMW! could do & I think the first time I late-braked @ Paddock was greeted with a few expletives The last session that I did was immense fun as we knew the brakes/tyres were nearly gone, so had a play with lift-off oversteer through Paddock - awesome & again sorry Andy

Only real downer on the day for me was being reported to the marshalls for a late braking manoeuvre on an Elise at the end of the straight. Elise concerned had failed to give way for 2 laps to the faster car & through the straight then braked early and off to the right of the racing line, which I was on. Not a good situation & I was carrying too much speed to have braked safely if he'd cut back in, so I carried on a bit b4 braking, effectively outbraking him into the corner. Lots of tooting and he went straight off track & up to the organisers. No black flag but a bollocking which was deserved really - 1st time I've been reported in 20+ trackdays Chap did say that it was probably because he didn;t want to overtaken by an Impreza (5dr family version ) but I was wrong. Other than that, manners were impeccable, a really friendly lot and there was one other scoob on track - light green metallic standard wagon.

Managed to black a ride in the 340R (see below the car). Really fast & I want one

Once again a huge thanks to Andy for letting me drive PTMW! again - it was a joy. I hope that my "instruction" was useful and that it made the day worthwhile. I also hope that you managed to get home safely & change the pads OK

Also thanks to Andy (Terzo & Green Wagon speccy) who helped us put PTMW! back to normal afterwards

Story needs a pic so...

(Pic courtesy/copyright of SDImaging

Old 18 December 2004, 11:17 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I'm not lending you the bike!

Have you got your 600 yet?
Old 19 December 2004, 09:59 PM
andy hs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was still the best looking car on the track and sounded awesome going down the main straight compared to those whining Elises.

Andy.