ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Subaru £125 Geometry checks!

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2004, 12:19 PM
GE90
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Subaru £125 Geometry checks!

Has anyone had the geometry checks at a main dealer? I need to have a complete check, but £125 seemed a little steep..... They confirmed that it is a full check, laser alignment, and adjustments made to Prodrive settings if required.

Any thoughts would be most welcome....

Posted here in General for wider audience! Must get sorted before I need another 2 tyres!

Thanks!

Old 21 December 2004, 12:22 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Prosport in stockport do it for £88 all in. Geometry set to tsl settings I believe.
after you've had it done, rotate you tyres after every 1k, or every month. That way, you don't get uneven tyre wear on the front.

chris.
Old 21 December 2004, 12:25 PM
GE90
Scooby Regular

I am in the South East, but obviously travel if required. What are TSL settings?
Old 21 December 2004, 12:28 PM
grahamfrary
Scooby Regular

Where in the South East? Feltham Tyres near Heathrow are £70.
Old 21 December 2004, 12:32 PM
GE90
Scooby Regular

Bromley/Corydon. LHR not a problem if they are recommended. I need a thorough check, preferably somewhere recommended.

Thanks!
Old 21 December 2004, 01:07 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

FYI TSL are £123.
Old 21 December 2004, 01:09 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard a few people have used 'Elite' in Dagenham. Think it was about £75.
Old 21 December 2004, 01:28 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

I took mine to power engineering uxbridge, cost around 110 quid but handles like

andy
Old 21 December 2004, 02:37 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

If you don't mind the drive, try Micheldever Tyres

It's off M3 J8 and you will have to pre-book it as well as get there for 8am.

They have the full laser equipment, as well as all the Prodrive settings, Subaru settings, etc on the computer.

It cost me £45-50 last time I went down there (when other places were charging £75-120 for the same thing)
Old 21 December 2004, 02:42 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I asked the Subaru garage where they send the cars for the alignment doing and then took mine there. Cost me £50
Old 21 December 2004, 03:10 PM
mattsan
Scooby Regular

Having mine done at montys of sheffield on thursday,60+vat.
Old 21 December 2004, 03:42 PM
GE90
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, some excellent suggestions. Just seems to be such a spread of prices, for what must surely be the same work..... Micheldever tyres seem very reasonable, and I could possibly tie it in with one of my regular trips to the West Country.

What is the benefit of using the Prodrive settings over standard? Will it actually help tyre wear, or does it help with the understeer, and therefore have a detremental affect on the tyres? I would guess that the standard settings are a comprimise on handling characteristics and tyre wear......

Is Montys a main dealer? My main dealer does it themselves, and is quoting £125 inc!

Thanks for all of the replys!
Old 21 December 2004, 03:46 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't had it done yet myself, but I have heard that it makes the handling superb.......at the cost of increased tyre wear.

Edited to add: Everyone I have spoken to still says it is worth it though!
Old 21 December 2004, 03:55 PM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy Tang

They have the full laser equipment, as well as all the Prodrive settings, Subaru settings, etc on the computer.

It cost me £45-50 last time I went down there (when other places were charging £75-120 for the same thing)
Excellent - they're just down the road from me and I was looking at this thread as i need to get the geometry checked/set up.
Old 21 December 2004, 04:53 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Geometry has been covered a few times, but the Prodrive settings (for the classics) are as follows:

Front wheels:
Maxmium equal negative camber (varies from car to car 1 to 1.5 degrees)
1mm of toe-in

Rear wheels:
No adjustment on camber as standard
1mm of toe-in

The advantage of the Prodrive settings is that the car 'digs' in more and geives better grip on the 'twisties'. Due to the amount of negative camber, you can wear the inner edge of your front tyres more quickly. I also found the car a little 'skittish' on the motorway.

I resolved this by getting them to use less negative camber, settling on 0.6 to 0.7 degrees of negative camber. This doesn't have as much grip in the 'twisties', but the advantage is that it doesn't wear the inner edge so quickly and also makes the car feel more stable on the motorway.

Please remember these settings are for MY92-00 cars.

Also remember if you are using Micheldever, book yourself in as there can be a wait and get yourself there promptly at 8am as it gets very busy, very quickly!

Off the M3 at Junction 8, follow the signs to Micheldever Train Station, Micheldever tyres is right next door in what looks like a big metal barn. They also have cheap tyres!

Disclaimer: I do not have any association with this company, but have always been impressed with the service and pricing I have received from them!
Old 21 December 2004, 05:00 PM
lostboysaint
Scooby Newbie

Another disclaimer: I have nothing to do with Micheldever either but they have a network of dealers that operate under the "Protyre" banner. The one in Fareham, Hants has never been anything other than excellent for both my Scooby or my Pimpmobile (an 02 Chrysler GV with ALL the toys!). The tyre pricing is identical to the main Micheldever outlet and their service has always been VERY good.
Old 21 December 2004, 05:03 PM
mattsan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GE90
Thanks guys, some excellent suggestions. Just seems to be such a spread of prices, for what must surely be the same work..... Micheldever tyres seem very reasonable, and I could possibly tie it in with one of my regular trips to the West Country.

What is the benefit of using the Prodrive settings over standard? Will it actually help tyre wear, or does it help with the understeer, and therefore have a detremental affect on the tyres? I would guess that the standard settings are a comprimise on handling characteristics and tyre wear......

Is Montys a main dealer? My main dealer does it themselves, and is quoting £125 inc!

Thanks for all of the replys!
When i spoke to montys today they said that the prodrive settings are only achieved when the car is lowered to no more than 20mm.Im having eibachs fitted tomorrow(25mm drop)and they are doing my settings to what eibach have stated.The price of 60+vat is for the standard geo and aligment settings.Oh and montys is a main dealer.
Old 21 December 2004, 05:16 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

I had the full Prodrive Suspension kit on the car (lowered by 35mm IIRC) and Micheldever, Mill Lane (when they were a Subaru dealers) and Cheam Motors could all do the geometry settings on the car!

Not that the settings are exclusively for the Prodrive lowered, it can be carried out on standard cars as well (and I noticed the difference)
Old 21 December 2004, 07:55 PM
GE90
Scooby Regular

Thanks for everyones help. Micheldever has quoted per adjustment, so could possibly cost £135, but might be less, depending on number of adjustments.

Yet another example of main dealers thinking of a number and doubling it when it comes to cost of parts/servicing. One main dealer £60 plus, the next £125! Consistency...?
Old 21 December 2004, 08:44 PM
King Eric
Scooby Regular

Consistancy with dealers is non existant

Took my Impreza to one (warranty remaining) said "My clutch is juddering hideously, and its only done 25k". Reply was "So! Its normal, no we wont look at it nor even ask I.M to open the thing up"

Went to another dealer. "Sure no problem, faxed I.M and got the approval" New cluct and no cost vs original dealer wanting £1000.00 to give me a new one

Glad I got the second (better, nicer and more proffesional opinion) than the first
Old 21 December 2004, 08:58 PM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

Had mine done at ABP to their fast road set-up (similar to Prodrive but I think they use different castor settings) it cost £111 but it took them 2 1/2 - 3 hours to do. It is well worth having done - the car is much more stable and feels so much better and quicker round the bends plus its stopped my uneven tyre wear. £125 aint to bad how much does a tyre cost, plus if you had the Prodrive settings done it is a good mod - worth every penny
Old 21 December 2004, 11:03 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy Tang

They did mine a while back but was not that happy so went back to Powerstation. They improved on it but they weren't that far out so decent value, but I'll stick with Powerstation, about 80 quid well spent!

Mike
Old 21 December 2004, 11:25 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cw42
Prosport in stockport do it for £88 all in. Geometry set to tsl settings I believe.
after you've had it done, rotate you tyres after every 1k, or every month. That way, you don't get uneven tyre wear on the front.

chris.
Chris it is £88.13p
Old 21 December 2004, 11:34 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

The guy at Powerstation nearly fainted when I said I was thinking of rotating the tyres He said don't do it!
Old 22 December 2004, 09:07 AM
Flannel
Scooby Newbie

I had prodrive springs fitted to my wrx last week and the dealer done a full laser alignment (including setting to prodrive spec) for free.

I'd recommend the dealership to...nice blokes...'Constitution Motors' - Norwich.
Old 23 December 2004, 02:14 PM
Sub69
Scooby Regular

Micheldever Tyres a a brilliant outfit, had 4 Eagle F1's fitted the other week and thought they were 1st rate.
Old 19 January 2005, 06:53 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flannel
I had prodrive springs fitted to my wrx last week and the dealer done a full laser alignment (including setting to prodrive spec) for free.

I'd recommend the dealership to...nice blokes...'Constitution Motors' - Norwich.
How much did you pay..?

Jason
Old 19 January 2005, 07:57 PM
KEVWRX95
Scooby Regular

Location: West Sussex-Scoob stripped :( Hello Audi A6 4.2V8 Quattro :)
Cool

GE90
If you live Croydon way, then if you fancy it, a nice drive down the M23, come off at the Crawley/ East Grinstead junction, head into East Grinstead, and the garage I use have the laser equipment and will set the car to whatever you want, they did the prodrive setting for me -1 degree on the fronts, and checked the backs which were not far off -1 but they cannot touch these as my car does not have the rear ajusters.
I think it cost me no more than £50 about six months ago.
If you want the garage name let me know and Ill go and find it.
kevin