ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

WR1 Gearbox noise

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2004, 01:00 PM
Iain M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WR1 Gearbox noise

Sorry if you've already seen this elsewhere but.....

The gearbox on my WR1 makes a strange noise when you decelerate using engine braking. This is particularily apparent when in lower gears, at higer revs and you just take your foot off the accelerator. Unless you hear it, the noise it hard to describe. It's a rough sounding metallic noise that's audible over the general transmission noise. When starting from cold, the noise is not apparent. But after a few hundred yards and a warmer car, the noise starts. It gets worse for a while and then levels out. Subaru reckon it's something to do with a bit of vibration in from the gearing and is normal for this type of gearbox. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Subaru may be right, but I'm just a bit sceptical at the moment.

Apparently other Impreza Turbos might also be experiencing a similar noise

I'm hoping some of the ScoobyNet experts out there can give me a second opinion. Either by confirming what Subaru are saying or giving me some pointers to identifying/ curing the problem.
Old 21 December 2004, 02:32 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

I had a similar sounding problem in my WRX (5 speed gearbox). Lift foot off throttle and it gets noisy, a sort of a rattle as if one of the heat shields is vibrating. Just lightly touch the throttle again and it went away.

Went in (for 3 weeks!) and it turned out to be the clutch. Dealer changed clutch (upgraded) under warranty even though it had done 45k. No more problem or clutch judder after that.

Not sure if same problem but though it may help.
Old 21 December 2004, 02:42 PM
Clive the Brave
Scooby Regular

Hi Iain,
after been a co driver for Iain in his car (driving like Miss Daisy) I have to say that the noise he's experiencing is something out of the ordinary., your description is spot on mate.

We have the same cars (WR1's), mine does NOT produce this noise from the gear box area.
Do you think that it should be there????......" I THINK NOT".......... if not then there's a lot of WR1's out there that has a common problem.........

Good luck in your quest Iain.

Clive
Old 21 December 2004, 03:10 PM
Iain M
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by supertouring
I had a similar sounding problem in my WRX (5 speed gearbox). Lift foot off throttle and it gets noisy, a sort of a rattle as if one of the heat shields is vibrating. Just lightly touch the throttle again and it went away.

Went in (for 3 weeks!) and it turned out to be the clutch. Dealer changed clutch (upgraded) under warranty even though it had done 45k. No more problem or clutch judder after that.

Not sure if same problem but though it may help.
Hi, thanks for the info. Could be related and sounds similar. Funny think is, that Subaru mentioned that some WRXs had the same noise. Subaru have already changed the gearbox in an attempt to cure the noise, but to no avail. So clutch, hmmmm
Old 21 December 2004, 03:13 PM
Iain M
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clive the Brave
Hi Iain,
after been a co driver for Iain in his car (driving like Miss Daisy) I have to say that the noise he's experiencing is something out of the ordinary., your description is spot on mate.

We have the same cars (WR1's), mine does NOT produce this noise from the gear box area.
Do you think that it should be there????......" I THINK NOT".......... if not then there's a lot of WR1's out there that has a common problem.........

Good luck in your quest Iain.

Clive
Thanks for the support Clive
Driving like Miss Daisy, cheeky beggar. No he right, it's true.
Old 21 December 2004, 03:17 PM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

Maybe a noisy clutch release bearing?
Old 21 December 2004, 03:21 PM
Iain M
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by XtremeScoobies
Maybe a noisy clutch release bearing?
Cheers, I will add that to the list. I have to admit there is a slight noise when stationary in my garage and the car is out of gear. The noise goes when the clutch is depressed.
Old 21 December 2004, 03:22 PM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

More likely to be the release bearing then..... That's a whole load cheaper for Subaru than a new box......
Old 21 December 2004, 03:42 PM
Iain M
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by XtremeScoobies
More likely to be the release bearing then..... That's a whole load cheaper for Subaru than a new box......
Yeah loads cheaper

I'll be broaching the subject with them soon, as the car has to get some hoses replaced. Precautionary only, apparently
Old 22 December 2004, 05:40 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain M
Hi, thanks for the info. Could be related and sounds similar. Funny think is, that Subaru mentioned that some WRXs had the same noise. Subaru have already changed the gearbox in an attempt to cure the noise, but to no avail. So clutch, hmmmm
Note that initially they changed the whole box but that did not cure it, so old gearbox went back in. Then they tried several other things and in the end they put an "upgraded" clutch on it and all was solved. Not sure of the details, but it did cure it.
Old 22 December 2004, 06:30 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

No suggestions but i've also been in Iains car and can verify he's not hearing things, it's definately making a metallic grating noise on a lightly trailing throttle.

Iain, have you tried asking Mike Wood yet?
Old 22 December 2004, 06:57 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

I too have this problem and its been going on for 8+ months now.

MY02 STI Type UK.

Been into dealer numerous times to be looked at.

On instruction from Subaru UK, they replaced the clutch release bearing.

didn't fix it.

Went in again
and again
and again

then the top subaru techie came down to the dealer (Paul someone) and tested the car, and said he would do a report.

6 weeks later I chased them up and eventually I had to write a letter to the dealer complaining.

got a call then. And all I was told was that the noise is normal and can't be sorted, but they would look into it again.

So, why did they change the release bearing if they weren't trying to fix it.

I get the rattle when on deacelerate. If you depress the clutch it goes away. Bring up the clutch and its back.

Bloody annoying and does my head in. I use my car all day everyday.

Supertouring managed to get a new clutch which sorted his out.

Interestingly, I had a new clutch fitted in Feb under warranty because of the judder, and its been since then that this noise has started, and progressivly got worse.

My next step has to be another letter to the dealer and one to Subaru UK.

I want this noise gone.

Mark.
Old 23 December 2004, 08:32 AM
Iain M
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by supertouring
Note that initially they changed the whole box but that did not cure it, so old gearbox went back in. Then they tried several other things and in the end they put an "upgraded" clutch on it and all was solved. Not sure of the details, but it did cure it.
Cheers for that. The clutch is looking the favourite cause so far. It's going to be interesting to see what Subaru do next with mine.
Old 23 December 2004, 08:34 AM
Iain M
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iwan
No suggestions but i've also been in Iains car and can verify he's not hearing things, it's definately making a metallic grating noise on a lightly trailing throttle.

Iain, have you tried asking Mike Wood yet?
Hello Iwan, I thought you were on hols?

Thanks for confirming that I'm not completely mad

I was hoping Mike might put a reply on the thread, but I guess he has to be careful what he says on here.
Old 23 December 2004, 08:41 AM
Iain M
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=marklemac]I too have this problem and its been going on for 8+ months now.

MY02 STI Type UK.....................

Defo similar if not exactly what I am experiancing with my car

Sounds as though you've gone down the same route as me. Paul from Suabru comes out, says it's normal and will write a report.

How can Subaru try and sell to it's customer that a rough sounding car is normal. Just because the car stills goes okay is not an excuse to not sort out the problem

To be honest I'm getting to the point where I might as well sell the car if I can't get a suitable solution.

But before that I'll be speaking to my dealer in the New Year to start the next campaign to get the noise sorted.
Old 23 December 2004, 08:45 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

it is not a very good response from subaru.i had a similar thing re paintwork on my p1 bootlid "my style of driving" allegedly-could be worth writing to subaru as a group or getting advice from ombudsman?
martin
Old 23 December 2004, 09:07 AM
jmk
Scooby Regular

Iain M - had a similar response from Subaru with a different problem - whining noise at 62mph. Stick with it and don't give up. I've had two rear diffs so far and next I'm having the rear axle or some other component changed to try and fix it.

Can't recall who I spoke with at Subaru - think his name was Paul Slade - but do know he was the IM Technical Services Manager. Try and speak with him as well as your dealer. He researched my issue with Subaru Japan and I'm confident that his suggestion will fix my problem in the New year.
Old 23 December 2004, 01:06 PM
Iain M
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jmk
Iain M - had a similar response from Subaru with a different problem - whining noise at 62mph. Stick with it and don't give up. I've had two rear diffs so far and next I'm having the rear axle or some other component changed to try and fix it.

Can't recall who I spoke with at Subaru - think his name was Paul Slade - but do know he was the IM Technical Services Manager. Try and speak with him as well as your dealer. He researched my issue with Subaru Japan and I'm confident that his suggestion will fix my problem in the New year.
Don't worry, I will keep plugging away at this. I think the Paul I spoke to was Paul Slade and I think I'll be speaking to him again soon
Old 23 December 2004, 04:11 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain M
Hello Iwan, I thought you were on hols?
Yeah i was in Slovakia mate, just got back yesterday - it was brill.

[thread hijack mode]
Sold the P1 this morning

But ordered the new car this afternoon
[/thread hijack mode]
Old 23 December 2004, 07:57 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

Anyone got the address details of IM/Subaru as I want to write a letter and complain.

If I was PAYING to get this sorted I'm sure they would have a cure for me straight away !
Old 23 December 2004, 10:11 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

give your dealer a ring,they should have contact details for im
martin
Old 24 December 2004, 12:01 PM
Iain M
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iwan
Yeah i was in Slovakia mate, just got back yesterday - it was brill.

[thread hijack mode]
Sold the P1 this morning

But ordered the new car this afternoon
[/thread hijack mode]
So are you scooby less now The last time we spoke you were looking in that direction. Have a good Christmas and New Year. See you next year