ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Stone Chip repairs: Respray vs. Chips Away

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2005, 09:51 PM
Fimo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stone Chip repairs: Respray vs. Chips Away

Have had my WRX for 6 months ago from new. Already have lots of stone chips one of which measures around 3mm x 4mm. I have tried using touch up paint for this large one, but it looks crap!

Has anyone any experience of chips away or am I better going for a respray? I live in the Sheffield area
Old 05 January 2005, 10:41 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

I used Chips Away when a **** in a car park managed to reverse out of their space and drag their front bumper down the driver's side rear door and then down the rear bumper (Legacy Estate).

I found that contacting them was a pain - despite giving them my postcode, they didn't put me in touch with the nearest technician. However, when I spoke to the guy that they put me in touch with, he immediately put me in touch with the local guy.

The local guy was great and did a good job, however Chips Away is a franchise operation and your local operator may not be so good.

I'd get the local Chips Away guy out to have a look at what needs done and to give you an estimate and a description of what needs done (this should be free). I'm a happy customer, but my situation might be different (and if I could find the **** in Winsford that damaged my car, they'd probably need some medical services themselves. I don't believe that it is possible to hit another car and scrape the bumper for about five feet along another car without being aware that you've done it. If it is possible, their licence should be revoked.)
Old 05 January 2005, 10:56 PM
paulhsti
Scooby Regular

There are several company's like chips away dent devils etc. I used a local (Norfolk)guy that was recomended by someone else as, as noted above, local variants can be of variable quality.
if the chips are on the side of the car - prevention better than cure - you could try some after market mud flaps - may be cheeper in long run.
Old 05 January 2005, 11:05 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

I used a guy called norman from chips away, wicked job, not even a profesinal sprayer could tell, and it metalic paint, that was after my sister doored it.

You can by a special version of sticky back plastic (stay with me here i'm not going mad) that will protect the body panels, you just use a sheet to fully cover and smoth out air nubble so its invisible and it take stone impacts, can't remember where you can get it from, but i'll ask a guy i know (he races ferrari 360's so it works lol).

Last edited by Tidgy; 05 January 2005 at 11:07 PM.
Old 06 January 2005, 12:25 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by douglasb
I used Chips Away when a **** in a car park managed to reverse out of their space and drag their front bumper down the driver's side rear door and then down the rear bumper (Legacy Estate).

I found that contacting them was a pain - despite giving them my postcode, they didn't put me in touch with the nearest technician. However, when I spoke to the guy that they put me in touch with, he immediately put me in touch with the local guy.

The local guy was great and did a good job, however Chips Away is a franchise operation and your local operator may not be so good.

I'd get the local Chips Away guy out to have a look at what needs done and to give you an estimate and a description of what needs done (this should be free). I'm a happy customer, but my situation might be different (and if I could find the **** in Winsford that damaged my car, they'd probably need some medical services themselves. I don't believe that it is possible to hit another car and scrape the bumper for about five feet along another car without being aware that you've done it. If it is possible, their licence should be revoked.)
Thats nice. Was that before or after they tore down the multi storey car park? And why did you park in Winsford? You can tell you ain't from Winsford. ;-) No one would park a nice car in winsford and expect it to be in one piece when they got back :-( Seriously, sorry to hear about your mis-fortune. Seemingly I don't live that million miles away from that place. Do you by chance have that contact number? Considering getting my STi de-chipped. Cheers.
Old 06 January 2005, 10:10 AM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jpor
Thats nice. Was that before or after they tore down the multi storey car park? And why did you park in Winsford? You can tell you ain't from Winsford. ;-) No one would park a nice car in winsford and expect it to be in one piece when they got back :-( Seriously, sorry to hear about your mis-fortune. Seemingly I don't live that million miles away from that place. Do you by chance have that contact number? Considering getting my STi de-chipped. Cheers.
It was in the car park beside the shopping centre across the road from the Council offices.

The main contact number for them is 0800 028 7878. They'll ask for your postcode and then give you a contact number for someone in the approximate area. It won't necessarily be the most local to you, though. When I contacted them I was given a contact number for their franchisee in Middlewich. When I spoke to him and mentioned my postcode, he told me that their Congleton guy was closer to me and that he couldn't work in that guy's territory, so he gave me the Congleton guy's number.

As for contacting them via their website...... I'd had the work completed for about three weeks before I got a "Thank you for your enquiry. Someone will be in touch with you very soon" email.
Old 06 January 2005, 03:20 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by douglasb
It was in the car park beside the shopping centre across the road from the Council offices.

The main contact number for them is 0800 028 7878. They'll ask for your postcode and then give you a contact number for someone in the approximate area. It won't necessarily be the most local to you, though. When I contacted them I was given a contact number for their franchisee in Middlewich. When I spoke to him and mentioned my postcode, he told me that their Congleton guy was closer to me and that he couldn't work in that guy's territory, so he gave me the Congleton guy's number.

As for contacting them via their website...... I'd had the work completed for about three weeks before I got a "Thank you for your enquiry. Someone will be in touch with you very soon" email.
Cheers.

Trending Topics

Old 06 January 2005, 07:21 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

I think it is very much down to the operator but also the limitatations of the kit they use, I had Chips A do my bumper 4 times to get an acceptable colour match, now 4 months later the paint is peeling in places - dont have the heart nor the patients to call them back for a 5th visit, so its off to the bodyshop soon!
Old 06 January 2005, 08:22 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fimo
I live in the Sheffield area
Go and see paul at montys subaru,There body repair and respray centre is top draw and i mean "TOP DRAW",you may well get a cheaper quote but will it be any good?
Old 06 January 2005, 08:29 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ethanrob
Go and see paul at montys subaru,There body repair and respray centre is top draw and i mean "TOP DRAW",you may well get a cheaper quote but will it be any good?
Agree 100% on this. Their number is 0114 221 4333.
Old 06 January 2005, 09:37 PM
Fimo
Scooby Regular

Cheers for this - I bought the car from John at Monty's
Old 07 January 2005, 12:47 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fimo
Cheers for this - I bought the car from John at Monty's
Same here matey,john the bmw lover LMAO!