ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Bye bye Scooby...

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2005, 12:04 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bye bye Scooby...

After 16 Months of sheer driving pleasure, my MY03 WRX has been sold. The reason? One definite, and one other probable attempt, by cars loaded with ugly looking, hoodie clad thugs, to follow me home in the last 2 months (both times from a petrol station, at night). Fortunately, on both occasions, they were spotted, and left standing in appropriate Scooby style.

However, as a result of this (and the experience of a friend, who lives 1/2 mile away, having his house broken into for the keys to his STi), I no longer considered the WRX to be safe transport for my wife and 2 year old son, so it had to go.

It was fun, but now I'll sleep better at night :-(
Old 25 January 2005, 12:11 PM
staffs Mike
Scooby Regular

Its a growing epedemic unfortunately. I hear civic type r's dont fair too much better.

What are you thinking of getting next?
Old 25 January 2005, 12:20 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

I traded it for a Seat Leon Cupra (not the 'R', but the 'ordinary' 180 BHP one). It is (of course) front-wheel drive, so I'll have to learn to drive in the wet all over again. It looks dull as ditchwater (i.e. not significantly different to the lesser models), so hopefully does not attract so much of the wrong type of attention. And it is still fun to drive, just not quite the buzz that the Scooby was.

Of course, there's still a risk that, if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time, you could get car-jacked, or have your house broken into for the keys etc. But I suspect that it is a whole lot less likely to happen than with the Impreza.

Last edited by dr_ming; 25 January 2005 at 12:20 PM. Reason: typo
Old 25 January 2005, 12:40 PM
New_scooby_04

It's a worry, but I'd never sell my Scooby in cause of it. I do -of course- respect your decision, though.

I myself had one encounter that caused me to raise an eyebrow. I reached the end of a local dual carriageway and indicated to turn onto the sliproad of a motorway. At this point a Chav-a-leer stuffed full of blokes in hoods abruptly aborted turning into the turnoff in front of me and followed me around the roundabout- I went around a second time to be sure, and they continued to follow. I knew it wasn't going to be any kind of contest to loose them, but I wanted to get away asap. I held the car on boost in 2nd till I reached the slip road and then floored it though 2nd, 3rd and part of 4th. That was all she wrote; I couldn't even see the chav-a-leer after that...no surprises there then. I turned off at the next slip road and went home. I don't know what their intentions were, maybe they just wanted to see a Scooby driven with a bit of zest. That was the first time, I'd really called on the car to go for it (I'd had it for about two weeks and was still slightly in awe of it).

I learnt two things that night: you always have to keep an eye open for anyone following you and; the Classic Scooby is a VERY quick car..

Oh, and that getting a Road Angel might be a good idea. ;-)
Old 25 January 2005, 12:52 PM
Mr Pants!
Scooby Regular

What happens when you buy yourself something less attracted by these sorts of people, like an Vauxhall estate or something and you look in your mirror and see ugly looking, hoodie clad thugs, follow still follow you home. Then you find out you were just on their root home each day?
Old 25 January 2005, 01:03 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Five years ago, I would have agreed - why should I allow thieving toe-rags to dictate what I drive - but being a parent alters your perspective somewhat.

Oh, and the hoodie boys were most definately NOT just on the same route home as me.

Last edited by dr_ming; 25 January 2005 at 01:03 PM. Reason: typo
Old 25 January 2005, 01:45 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Guys - this is meant to be a serious thread. I've removed at least 10 replies. Please post your daft comments elsewhere and try and keep this vaguely on topic.

Trending Topics

Old 25 January 2005, 01:47 PM
Moray
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris L
Guys - this is meant to be a serious thread. I've removed at least 10 replies. Please post your daft comments elsewhere and try and keep this vaguely on topic.
I am glad someone noticed PSLewis is an idiot, cant you remove him from this site? Check out his threads he has nothing constructive to say .He is pissing plenty people off with his comments?
Old 25 January 2005, 01:54 PM
sjfozzy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dr_ming
After 16 Months of sheer driving pleasure, my MY03 WRX has been sold. The reason? One definite, and one other probable attempt, by cars loaded with ugly looking, hoodie clad thugs, to follow me home in the last 2 months (both times from a petrol station, at night). Fortunately, on both occasions, they were spotted, and left standing in appropriate Scooby style.

However, as a result of this (and the experience of a friend, who lives 1/2 mile away, having his house broken into for the keys to his STi), I no longer considered the WRX to be safe transport for my wife and 2 year old son, so it had to go.

Soory to hear you are having to let your Scooby go.
It's a real shame that it has come to this, but I fully respect your decision.
As much fun as they are you would have to put your family first.
Best of luck with your next purchase, whatever it is and whatever colour the wheels are!!!!!
Old 25 January 2005, 01:56 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Chris L
I'm sorry Chris, you're quite right, just that I couldn't resist responding to PSLewis's daft comments.

This is indeed a serious subject, my own 2 cents: Don't let the Scum dictate what you do with your life. However, equally, there's no point in paying a lot for a car if it's not making you happy (for whatever reason)!

Its worth baring in mind that carjackings and thefts can seem more common than they actually are, owing to the inherently more dramatic nature of a report that says "my scoobies been nicked" as opposed to "It was still on the drive this morning".

Simple fact of the matter is that you're unlucky if you fall victim to the Scum, but its not worth loosing sleep over.

Best
Old 25 January 2005, 02:00 PM
Mr Pants!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
I'm sorry Chris, you're quite right, just that I couldn't resist responding to PSLewis's daft comments.
Same here, I should know better being a newbie....

Many apologies....

It is quite worrying that these motors attract that sort of pleb! Now I am going to be paranoid if a car follows me into my close!
Old 25 January 2005, 04:59 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Its worth baring in mind that carjackings and thefts can seem more common than they actually are, owing to the inherently more dramatic nature of a report that says "my scoobies been nicked" as opposed to "It was still on the drive this morning".
I agree. And this was my mindset when I bought the car 16 months ago. However, the experiences I detailed in my original post were a little too close to home for comfort.

Last edited by dr_ming; 25 January 2005 at 05:00 PM. Reason: typo
Old 25 January 2005, 05:08 PM
wide
Scooby Regular

I seem to think paranoya is getting the better of you
Old 25 January 2005, 05:12 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Maybe.
Old 25 January 2005, 05:46 PM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

What area are we talking about Dr Ming?
Old 26 January 2005, 10:40 AM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FrenchBoy
What area are we talking about Dr Ming?
St. Albans, in Hertfordshire.
Old 26 January 2005, 11:02 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Sod that too close to home!!!!!!!!
Old 26 January 2005, 11:36 AM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoob99
Sod that too close to home!!!!!!!!
The details of the definite incident (for those that might be interested):

Filling up car with Optimax at Shell station in Redbourn (approx. 7:30 pm on a Sunday), wife and child in car.
Notice another vehicle make a very late decision to enter the petrol station (I think is was a Suzuki Grand Vitara, battered looking).
Other vehicle pulls up behind furthest pump from me (which is an LPG pump!). No-one gets out - vehicle has lights on, engine running.
I go to pay. Still no-one gets out of the other vehicle. I clock the four big looking guys in the other car.
Get back in my car, drive off.
Other vehicle immediately follows me.
Turn right out of petrol station (opposite direction to that the other vehicle was originally travelling), other vehicle follows.
Overtake other car doing ~50MPH, other vehicle follows.
Floor it, overtake everything in sight at a speed plod would not be impressed by (wife not impressed either).
Last I see of the other vehicle, but take a slightly convoluted route home, just in case.

Coincidence? I don't think so.

Last edited by dr_ming; 26 January 2005 at 11:42 AM.
Old 26 January 2005, 11:56 AM
Mr Pants!
Scooby Regular

How about:

Filling up car with Optimax at Shell station in Redbourn (approx. 7:30 pm on a Sunday), wife and child in car.
Notice another vehicle make a very late decision to enter the petrol station (I think is was a Suzuki Grand Vitara, battered looking).
Other vehicle pulls up behind furthest pump from me (which is an LPG pump!). No-one gets out - vehicle has lights on, engine running.
I go to pay. Still no-one gets out of the other vehicle. I clock the four big looking guys in the other car.
Get registration number of car.
Turn right out of petrol station (opposite direction to that the other vehicle was originally travelling), other vehicle follows.
Pull over, keep car in gear see what happens. If vehicle continues do a U turn if not, ask wife to call the police.
Floor it, overtake everything in sight at a speed plod would not be impressed by (wife not impressed either). Well drop this bit totally. You are putting yourself and your family at more risk than the off chance that these guys may nick your car, which is an object that you can claim on insurance for.
Last I see of the other vehicle, but take a slightly convoluted route home, just in case.
Get Police incident number. Something to reference back to in case of repetition.

I agree it all seemed a bit suspicious, but I would not sell up because of that.

How many other incidents have you had?

Last edited by Mr Pants!; 26 January 2005 at 11:59 AM.
Old 26 January 2005, 12:06 PM
baz69birds
Scooby Regular

yes get the reg ALWAYS be awear of other cars!!!!!!
even if no-one else with you, always call the police tell them a bit more of a porky (been followed for 30mins) even tho its been 10 mins, meet them some where if P.C. PLOD is around/near, see what happens, or if know the area lose them in back streets, last opition,
Old 26 January 2005, 12:07 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Pants!
How about:

Get registration number of car.
Pull over, keep car in gear see what happens. If vehicle continues do a U turn if not, ask wife to call the police.
Floor it, overtake everything in sight at a speed plod would not be impressed by (wife not impressed either). Well drop this bit totally. You are putting yourself and your family at more risk than the off chance that these guys may nick your car, which is an object that you can claim on insurance for.
Get Police incident number. Something to reference back to in case of repetition.

I agree it all seemed a bit suspicious, but I would not sell up because of that.

How many other incidents have you had?
In retrospect, your comments are, of course, correct. Good job retrospect is an exact science :wink:

I did not sell just because of this - I had been thinking about it anyway, this was just the catalyst. Bottom line is, ownership of the Scooby was causing me undue stress (wife though I'd gone mental with security on the house - until my mate's STi was nicked). Since life is too short for stress that can be eliminated, I sold the car.

I owned a Scooby, I had a lot of fun driving it for 16 months - That's more than a lot of people can say

Last edited by dr_ming; 26 January 2005 at 12:22 PM.
Old 26 January 2005, 12:10 PM
Mr Pants!
Scooby Regular

In retrospect, your comments are, of course, correct. Good job retrospect is an exact science :wink:

I did not sell just because of this - I had been thinking about it anyway, this was just the catalyst. Bottom line is, ownership of the Scooby was causing me undue stress (wife though I'd gone mental with security on the house - until my mate's STi was nicked). Since life is too short for stress that can be eliminated, I sold the car.

I owned a Scooby, it had lots of fun driving it - That's more than a lot of people can say
Well said buddy!
Old 26 January 2005, 01:26 PM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr Pants!
You are putting yourself and your family at more risk than the off chance that these guys may nick your car, which is an object that you can claim on insurance for.

I'd be a little careful in just handing over a car to a crim on the off chance that you will get an insurance pay out. As far as I am aware, handing your keys and vehicle to a crim (even under threat of violence) will invalidate your insurance. Please correct me if I am wrong!
Old 26 January 2005, 01:42 PM
Baby_Lexus
Scooby Newbie

Ok, I know I don't own a Scooby, BUT I have loads of friends who do. I've done a few track days and obviously my IS gets blown away by them...but thats another story.

I've watched this thread, as it seems a lot of this has happened recently. One of the guys on the Lexus Owners Club got done in broad day light, in a B & Q car park. 4 guys jumped him as he loaded the car, and it's not been seen since. This was in north London. Also a lot of attempted break ins have gone on, probably to try and get the keys.

Not good, but what can you do ? Get rid of the cars you enjoy so much because of thieving toe rags ???
Old 26 January 2005, 01:49 PM
Mr Pants!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by theotherphil
I'd be a little careful in just handing over a car to a crim on the off chance that you will get an insurance pay out. As far as I am aware, handing your keys and vehicle to a crim (even under threat of violence) will invalidate your insurance. Please correct me if I am wrong!
At no point did I mean hand over the car, I think you have misread or I have not been clear.

I would pull over, if they pulled over or approached me I would be out of there!!

I was meaning more if they followed you home with the intention of coming back to nick it, you can claim.
Old 26 January 2005, 01:50 PM
Mr Pants!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Baby_Lexus
Ok, I know I don't own a Scooby, BUT I have loads of friends who do. I've done a few track days and obviously my IS gets blown away by them...but thats another story.

I've watched this thread, as it seems a lot of this has happened recently. One of the guys on the Lexus Owners Club got done in broad day light, in a B & Q car park. 4 guys jumped him as he loaded the car, and it's not been seen since. This was in north London. Also a lot of attempted break ins have gone on, probably to try and get the keys.

Not good, but what can you do ? Get rid of the cars you enjoy so much because of thieving toe rags ???
I think the only thing you can do is be aware as possible of your surroundings! A bit like nowadays drawing money from a cash point is risky business. If you feel threatened, walk away from the car, get help, call the police.
Old 26 January 2005, 02:55 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by theotherphil
No. An insurance company would not expect you to put yourself in danger if you were placed under physical duress to hand over your keys; they would pay out on the basis that the car has been taken without consent, without negligence on your part. Insurance companies require you to exercise due care over what you do with your keys and take reasonable steps to keep the car secure. So, they might not pay out if your car got stolen because you left your keys in the car whilst filling with petrol, for example, as they might argue that constitutes negligence on your part.

If you're in a situation where you are threatened for your keys and can't escape then you should hand them over; a car can be replaced...you can't! The insurance companies will understand as long as you go through the proper procedures with reporting the crime etc...

Best wishes

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 26 January 2005 at 02:58 PM.
Old 26 January 2005, 04:03 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

lol. what the heck is getting the reg of another car going to do? Do you think they are in their own regd car or that the police would give a flying ****?

I have been the victim of an armed car-jacking and totally understand you decision.

Bob
Old 26 January 2005, 04:15 PM
Mr Pants!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5
lol. what the heck is getting the reg of another car going to do? Do you think they are in their own regd car or that the police would give a flying ****?

I have been the victim of an armed car-jacking and totally understand you decision.

Bob
Thats not the point at all and a stupid attitude to have.

Take steps to avoid the situation yes. However the police can do a lot, it is so annoying that people always write off the police as an option because they think there is nothing they can do. They can only help you if you report a problem. One of the biggest struggles the police have is getting people to call in with their problems.

Okay, you call the police with the index number, if they have nicked the car or have false plates, when you report it in an observation request will go out to all the police cars in that area, if they do get stopped and through a vehicle check they found out it was nicked or what ecer. They would be arrested.

You assume they have nicked the car, maybe they have'nt? What if they run a check on the vehicle and find out the owner is known by the police for nicking cars? They will then be tied to the incident number you will be given, if a few days later your car gets nicked, they know where their first port of call will be to find out where he was on the night in question etc etc....

There are so many scenarios, you can not just brush off calling the police with a statement like that!
Old 26 January 2005, 08:45 PM
sewer rat
Scooby Regular

its not a bad idea to have an anti car jacking system fitted to you pride & joy, it might be a pain to keep entering the code every time the drivers door is opened but if you get jacked you just give them the car knowing a couple of miles down the rd you car is stopped and lit up like a christmas tree.
also if they break into your house to get the keys they cant get far without the code.

Quick Reply: Bye bye Scooby...