ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

European Spec WRX

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2005, 06:46 PM
Shimi Shanga
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default European Spec WRX

Just ordered a new WRX in Spain, wondered if anybody knows if i will get a my04 or my05 version. Also I heard that they come with less boost and at your 1st service the turn it up, is this true????
Old 26 January 2005, 07:01 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Hehe Not true mate.

You're supposed to run it in for the first 1000 miles though - keep it under 4k revs..

As to my04 or my05 who knows, still some 04's being offered at dealers but at a discount.

If you could see it you can tell from the red calipers and different centre console..
What colour ?
Old 26 January 2005, 08:50 PM
Engineer@Uni
Scooby Regular

Also, I'd like to point out a running-in tidbit. Keep it relatively low revs (4-5k seems good) and DON'T run the engine on 0 load. That means NO engine breaking. Engine breaking means a lot less fuel going into the cylinders, as the engine is acting as a resistance, which in turn means the piston gets a lot hotter because new pistons are always oversized. It could damage your engine, and it certainly won't help it's longevity.

And i'll also second that question: What colour?
Old 26 January 2005, 08:54 PM
Shimi Shanga
Scooby Newbie

ordered in blue, they had for immediate in silver and black, so they dont tweak the ECU on the first service. So when can I start opening her up, as I have only every had a used on before
Old 26 January 2005, 08:59 PM
Engineer@Uni
Scooby Regular

after 3-4 thousand kilometers, should be waaay fine. Have fun!
Old 26 January 2005, 09:08 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Engine breaking means a lot less fuel going into the cylinders, as the engine is acting as a resistance, which in turn means the piston gets a lot hotter because new pistons are always oversized. It could damage your engine, and it certainly won't help it's longevity.
Can you explain that one a bit further? Where exactly is this heat coming from, over and above the heat that's usually generated by burning the air/fuel mix?

If you mean that the engine is doing work against the air in compressing it, that always happens. If you mean that the mixture is very lean then maybe that would be an issue - but it's misleading to suggest that there's extra heat as a result of the engine acting as a brake. The losses are always there - it's just that usually, the engine's power output overcomes them and produces a useful surplus.
Old 26 January 2005, 09:47 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

No question that "engine breaking" is not a good thing. The last thing you want to do is break your engine. Engine braking on the other hand, I'll go along with Andy's question.

Most of the heat in a cylinder comes from burning fuel/air mix, not friction. There'll either be no fuel (over-run fuel cut off) or very little fuel burning = less heat generated. On top of that, no boost = less mixture = less heat generated. Fuel isn't generally there as a coolant! Admittedly rich mixtures burn cooler than lean ones, but plain air doesn't burn at all.

Can't claim I understand everything about engines, happy to be put straight if I'm missing everything, but that isn't advice I've ever heard of.
Old 26 January 2005, 09:49 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

P.S. the thing they do at the first service is change from "running in oil" to more normal oil. The oil change is a big part of why they recommend you treat it gently before the first service.