ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

What model Impreza do I go for?

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2005, 07:49 PM
sma01
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What model Impreza do I go for?

.....sold my last scooby 5 months ago and am starting to look for a new one, but not sure what to go for.... have been to see an 02 STI european import, but have been told I would be better trying to get a UK car as the european ones can be a lot harder to sell when changing at a later date. My budget cant really stretch to a UK type STI at the prices dealers seem to be charging, but have thought about the possibility of trying to get a UK 300.

any advice as to what I would be better going for?
Old 20 February 2005, 08:00 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

would be better trying to get a UK car as the european ones can be a lot harder to sell when changing at a later date.
LOL - Doubtless by someone who's crying over their uk sourced depreciation.

Had zero problems buying/selling wifes Euro MX5, there are plenty of people who seem to manage to sell euro impreza's. Depreciation is actually slightly less as the gap between UK and Euro actually narrows the older they get. Once you get beyond about 3/4 years (i.e. beyond any warranty worries/silliness/mis-information) and there is no practical difference in price at all.

Last edited by dsmith; 20 February 2005 at 08:05 PM.
Old 20 February 2005, 08:14 PM
Catherine
Scooby Regular

I guess it's all personal opinion. I have vowed never to buy another import, european included.

I have now had 2 euro imports 1) A Nissan Navara Pick Up and 2) A Porsche Boxster. The Navara was easily traded in for the Porsche, however when I came to look at trading the Boxster up for a Boxster S, omg did I get a shock. So much so that the car has now gone in favour of a new Scooby.

The problem with the Porsche was that no one wanted to touch it, in fact I did have people turning me down. In the end I lost £8k in 5 months when trading in for the scooby and a large chunk of that was down to the fact it was an import and the total hate that Porsche GB have for imports.

As I said at the outset - all personal opinion.
Old 20 February 2005, 11:48 PM
AlanS
Scooby Regular

I'm confused.

Are you buying the car with the aim of being able to sell it again with little trouble or depreciation

or

Are you looking for the best overall value to performance ratio.

If it's the later, go the route of the JDM sti, then the Euro sti, finally the UK sti.
Old 21 February 2005, 07:47 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

My suggestion would be to look at private sales for the STI - dealer prices often surprise me to say the least. The UK300 is based closely on the WRX, not the STI, so it's not really the same car at all. If you like it, you should try a WRX (maybe with the PPP added) as well; it'll be cheaper and you should find a better choice of cars too.
Old 21 February 2005, 09:54 AM
sma01
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by AlanS
I'm confused.

Are you buying the car with the aim of being able to sell it again with little trouble or depreciation

or

Are you looking for the best overall value to performance ratio.

If it's the later, go the route of the JDM sti, then the Euro sti, finally the UK sti.
Not buying with the aim to sell mate, hopefully be able to keep this one longer than I had my last one.

Have been to see an 02 plate Euro STI, not sure what sort of money I should be offering though??
Old 21 February 2005, 11:33 AM
AlanS
Scooby Regular

I have the 02 JDM sti which has a better set-up through better engine internals, than the UK equivilent. So although it requires a re-map for the fuel issue, the car leaves a UK equivilent standing, for power and handling. I know that like for like, the JDM is also cheaper to purchase, both new and second hand.

Go on, you know you want one...
Old 21 February 2005, 11:53 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

spec c - next?