I thinking of buying a wrx import soon

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2005, 08:08 PM
mark@motormodz
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I thinking of buying a wrx import soon

im thinking of buying a impreza wrx import soon my questions are

1.) What should i specific look out for on the import?
2.) Is the spec massively different?
3.) And what are the common probs?
Old 03 April 2005, 08:13 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Spec is identical other than alarm and locking wheel nuts I believe. Seats may come without side impact airbags.
No probs really, can get PPP nowdays on them if you want it, servicing is also ok at main dealers, main downfall will be lesser residual value over a UK car when you come to sell and you can pretty much forget trade in at a main dealers..
Old 03 April 2005, 08:15 PM
ben1413
Scooby Regular

I imported a 1994 WRX from Japan last year. It was in average condition and had a few miles on it. So far I've had to change the rocker cover gaskets and now the clutch (was already slipping when I took delivery).

Check all the usuals really and try and get one with as much service history as possible and records of a cambelt change. Make sure it's been run on the correct grade fuel with an octane booster, always warmed up and cooled down etc.

Imports are more powerful, 1994-1996 240bhp, 1996-1998, 260bhp and 1998 onwards 280bhp I think. Plus, if it's an import it should have air conditioning and electric folding mirrors. Not sure what else. I'm sure someone else will tell me if anythings wrong! Good luck.

Ben

Originally Posted by mark@motormodz
im thinking of buying a impreza wrx import soon my questions are

1.) What should i specific look out for on the import?
2.) Is the spec massively different?
3.) And what are the common probs?
Old 03 April 2005, 08:17 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Lower gearing and harder suspension
Old 03 April 2005, 08:22 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

What year car ? - assumed it was a new one...
Old 03 April 2005, 08:32 PM
mark@motormodz
Scooby Newbie

94/95
Old 03 April 2005, 11:55 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Check this out:

http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm

94/95 is 260ps - 256bhp.

I have had one for a year - no probs as yet.

Knocklink advised, told me that for my motor no need for booster - even though boost naturally upped 'cos of full-decat, always use Optimax though.

As earlier posts plus: climate control, eleccy aerial on rear quarter, rear wiper, buckets and Nardi wheel.

Couldn't resist a piccy

Old 04 April 2005, 10:46 AM
Feffers
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I picked up my 96 WRX import the other week and went through the same process. Your always taking a gamble with any used car but especially so with an import as most of them have diddly squat service history. Its obviously hard to find out which fuel its been run on in this country as your just taking someones word for it. I understand that there should be a label that indicates mileage on the inside door arch as well.
I would recommend buying from a dealer so you can get a warranty.(and try and see the aution appraisal sheet as well. I didnt entertain anything less than a grade 3.5).

Imports fresh in the country probably wont have underseal as well, you will also need a frequency booster (??) for the radio, oh and the clocks will prob display up to 112 mph so it will be limited. Not a big job mind. The plus points though is that they are quicker (standard wrx 0-60 4.9 secs), most have aircon, better seats and a rear wiper (well the 5 or 6 I saw did anyway!)

Be careful as the ones I saw of the same age varied wildly in price. The first one I saw had 140000km on the clock, was in tatty condition and the bloke wanted 7k!!!

Just as a guide mine is:

Mica Blue WRX 96
51000 Miles
Completly standard
£4950

Hope this helps and good luck!!!
Old 04 April 2005, 12:27 PM
New_scooby_04

Just bear in mind that Jap imports are designed to run on 100 Ron fuel. If they've been run on any less than SUL, preferably Optimax, WITH an Octane booster, chances are they'll have been detting and it won't be long before they go pop and you're left with an expensive engine rebuild bill.

If you're importing from japan and you'll be the first UK owner, this won't be a problem. If you get one that has been re-mapped for UK fuel since its arrival in the UK, it's also not a problem. However, if you find one that's been in the UK for a while and hasn't been remapped then it's a lotto as to whether the previous owners have been using SUL with Octane booster.

Personally, I wouldn't take the chance with this kind of car,unless you knew it's been in the hands of one enthusiast who'd looked after it properly from the outset. There are, i'm sure, lots of very well cared for ones out there, but equally there are some very tatty ones too!

Regards
Old 04 April 2005, 06:06 PM
wideybrook
Scooby Regular

QUOTE = Imports fresh in the country probably wont have underseal

Generally not true, 90% of scoobies come with underseel, Mitsubishi FTO's don't though.

ALSO

QUOTE = Just bear in mind that Jap imports are designed to run on 100 Ron fuel. If they've been run on any less than SUL, preferably Optimax, WITH an Octane booster, chances are they'll have been detting and it won't be long before they go pop and you're left with an expensive engine rebuild bill.

Nearly true, depends on the year and model, a 1994 WRX will run on Optimax without any problems as long as the car does not have any faults. This is because the boost / timiing / compression is much less than a STI 3 - 6.

For more info see this site www.wrx.co.uk

Last edited by wideybrook; 04 April 2005 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04 April 2005, 07:09 PM
stu_5
Scooby Regular

I'd look to find an sti, but it depends what you want and how much you want to pay. Specs alter quite a bit dependent on age and version- check the links posted.

Prices vary a lot dependent on whose selling and condition, and as such look around to find the best condition car you can find rather than the first you see or the cheapest.

I'd look for the cambelt to have been changed if it's done over 45,000 miles, and ideally one which has also had the clutch done as well, as once you get past 50,000 miles your then into the failure territory for those also.
Old 04 April 2005, 07:30 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

I've had MY94 WRX for about a month now and it looks like i have a good one..

Getting my cambelt done in a few weeks but aprt from that the box and clutch are nice and tight and the car dosn't make any bad noises..it sure as hell makes some good ones though!

Petrol can be a true nightmare if your not prepered to drive everywere under 3K.

Insurance is very high and i found only Elephant would insure me under 25.

I'd say when you buy one take somone with you who knows about them and budget sayyyyyy £300 and do all the service jobs before you do anything to it.
Old 04 April 2005, 07:32 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

Here's mine With new badge

Old 04 April 2005, 11:42 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Just bear in mind that Jap imports are designed to run on 100 Ron fuel. If they've been run on any less than SUL, preferably Optimax, WITH an Octane booster, chances are they'll have been detting and it won't be long before they go pop and you're left with an expensive engine rebuild bill.
I bought my MY95 WRX a year ago, previous owner said always used Optimax. After reading a lot of posts on here, I used Optimax + Millers for months. I then installed a knocklink and discovered no det at all when only using Optimax.

Mine also has a full de-cat which has naturally upped the boost to 1 bar, still no det on Optimax.

So therefore not all cars need booster, but obviously a good idea to fit a knocklink to find out.
Old 05 April 2005, 11:41 AM
Feffers
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

"Generally not true, 90% of scoobies come with underseel, Mitsubishi FTO's don't though."

I went to see 5 before I bought mine and 3 of them didnt have underseal. Just mentioned it as it might be worth checking.
Old 05 April 2005, 11:54 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by StiX
I bought my MY95 WRX a year ago, previous owner said always used Optimax. After reading a lot of posts on here, I used Optimax + Millers for months. I then installed a knocklink and discovered no det at all when only using Optimax.

Mine also has a full de-cat which has naturally upped the boost to 1 bar, still no det on Optimax.

So therefore not all cars need booster, but obviously a good idea to fit a knocklink to find out.
If you've got a knocklink correctly installed you should be ok as you'll see any det early, e.g. a bad batch of fuel... but I'd imagine that your car will still be happier and perform better on optimax and octane booster.

NS04
Old 05 April 2005, 02:51 PM
Stevie.p
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have a MY96 WRX STI import i have had it for 2 years now alwasy ran on optimax with no problem's and the only problem's i've had were :-

1) The header tank had the origional one fitted the seal split then bought a second hand one the same thing happened so i bought an alloy one excellent buy i must add and i belive a must buy for import scoobie's of that age.

2) A oil seal went on one of the cam's had that replaced.

3) Top raidiator hose split no prob's bought SAMCO hose kit replaced all of them.

But the one thing that i'm most happy with is the drive it alway's makes me smile when i'm driving it no matter what the weather is like .

I would deffinately be buying another one!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05 April 2005, 07:00 PM
stu_5
Scooby Regular

Only problems I've had on mine (v2 sti 555) in a year and a half have been the clutch- expected and a minor leak from the top radiator hose, which was easy fixed.

Other than that it's been perfect- never any problems and it walked through its last mot.
Old 05 April 2005, 07:43 PM
wideybrook
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Feffers
"Generally not true, 90% of scoobies come with underseel, Mitsubishi FTO's don't though."

I went to see 5 before I bought mine and 3 of them didnt have underseal. Just mentioned it as it might be worth checking.
Thats fair enough Feffers, we have sold over a 100 now and some of the later edition RA / Type R's have not been undersealed.

But sometimes the underseal is clear and not black on older cars.

Oh forgot to mention, a 1996 in blue at £4995 is a very good price mate

Lee.

Last edited by wideybrook; 05 April 2005 at 07:46 PM.