ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Early Scoob - Early evo comparison

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2005, 03:47 AM
marcymarc555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Early Scoob - Early evo comparison

Hey...can any 1 tell me what they think the early evo 1 - 2 - 3 fair up against the equivelent year impreza ...perhaps some personal views or some info from a write up some where...

hope some 1 can help
Old 04 April 2005, 04:52 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

The Evo is rougher and readier; quicker and cheaper (in Japan); the Impreza is far prettier.
Old 04 April 2005, 07:09 AM
marcymarc555
Scooby Regular

im thinking ov an evo 2 or 3 what do u think an sti v2 would fair like against either evo.s
Old 04 April 2005, 09:04 AM
marcymarc555
Scooby Regular

come on ,, some 1 must have some info on the matter...

Dont think i against impreza.s ive had three,,uk turbo,,1994wrx,,sti type r v5,,
but there is just something about the old evo shape what i like...
Old 04 April 2005, 10:53 AM
marcymarc555
Scooby Regular

Someone must have drove,had,raced,heard or seen an evo 2 or 3 ,, and know what the equivelent scoob is like in comparison,,

some 1 please give me some info, cheers to gc8 for his help but surely somebody can shed some more light....
Old 04 April 2005, 10:58 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Was looking at the very early evo's in GT4 - christ they were ugly...
Old 04 April 2005, 11:13 AM
marcymarc555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by messiah
Was looking at the very early evo's in GT4 - christ they were ugly...
Most people do think they r ugly,, but i love em ..
Old 04 April 2005, 01:10 PM
marcymarc555
Scooby Regular

Am i really on scoobynet,, the place where there r more people with subarus than parsons preached about... and no one knows any info on my post,,,im discusted...

I take it there is no one who knows there scoobs then...
come on some 1 ?????????????????????????????????
Old 04 April 2005, 01:13 PM
Alec
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I've had both a 94 WRX and a Evo 1. Both where standard. The evo felt quicker in every way but not by much, however the Scoob had more soul, looked better and sounded better.

Also the scoob was completly reliable and the evo wasn't.
Old 04 April 2005, 01:51 PM
marcymarc555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alec
I've had both a 94 WRX and a Evo 1. Both where standard. The evo felt quicker in every way but not by much, however the Scoob had more soul, looked better and sounded better.

Also the scoob was completly reliable and the evo wasn't.

Top man Alec...,..

what problems did u have in ure evo 1 mate,,,,,, and do u think an evo 2 would have been much better than ure 1

Still after more info people......
Old 04 April 2005, 01:56 PM
Alec
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Marcy,
The evo had a broken balancer rod, sorted on after market warrenty but still cost over £800 and then chewed a gearbox up. Gearbox was about £400 with fitting on top. Dont think these where that bad considering the age and the performance of the car however the Scoob just required routine bits tyres, clutch etc.

Never driven a II so cant really comment on that.

Alec
Old 04 April 2005, 02:47 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Twos and threes are little different; the chassis is different on a 2 and 3 which sorts out the slightly wayward handling but you wouldnt ever be likely to establish this for yourself. The 2 and 3, CE9a's are wort nearly twice as much at auction although they dont sell for much more here. The three is the prettiest but if it were my money Id be buying an Evolution 1. Of course; a CM5a new shape Lancer GSR 1800cc Turbo 4WD would be a way better bet for very little more.

Simon
Old 04 April 2005, 03:12 PM
marcymarc555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Twos and threes are little different; the chassis is different on a 2 and 3 which sorts out the slightly wayward handling but you wouldnt ever be likely to establish this for yourself. The 2 and 3, CE9a's are wort nearly twice as much at auction although they dont sell for much more here. The three is the prettiest but if it were my money Id be buying an Evolution 1. Of course; a CM5a new shape Lancer GSR 1800cc Turbo 4WD would be a way better bet for very little more.

Simon
What do u like about the evo1.s ..personel preference ?
Old 04 April 2005, 05:26 PM
EvoCarl
Scooby Regular

Think Alec was unlucky there as the Early Evo's are reliable.

Comparing my Evo 3 to any of my friends jap cars ( a broad range) she has been WAY more reliable.

Infact after over 2 years and 20k miles of more or less ragging the hell out of her every night I have only needed regular oil changes etc with no problems.

Heard of syncro's going in the early Evo gearboxes but not one to actually fail...Guys in NZ run 9 sec 1/4's on standard tranny as there VERY strong.

Dont want to go on about performance as probally end in some sort of flame war.

But with the Evo 3 running 1bar boost(0.7 ish standard)/air filter and a cat back zorst I out drag my friends PPP STI bugeye everytime.He gets a car length to start with on the initial second of putting foot to floor if we are rolling but soon real him in and pass.

Off the lights its no problem.

Only thing with a 3 is you cant run as much boost as the 1's and 2's because there higher compression...but your talking a 0.2 bar which is hardly going to make much diff.

There not a long distance car though, my gearing works out the same as a friends Scooby Type R to give you a comparrison.
Gear change smoother on a Scooby and they do sound better.
Evo engines sound like tractors lets face it
Seats awesome in a 3

Tuning parts very cheap for early Evo's as are the service parts.
Brakes are very bad but some UK companys have upgrades in the pipeline.

I would say my Evo 3 GSR feels at least as raw as a friends type r.

any questions just fire away.
Old 04 April 2005, 05:26 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Price and better trim; as I buy in Japan theyre SO cheap; nearly half the price of the 2 and 3's and the CE9a's arent really any better. I also like the GSRs (both the CD5a & the CM5a); the car from which the Evolution was, well, an evolution.

I think that youd be better off comparing early Evos to STIs rather than WRXs or RAs.

Simon
Old 04 April 2005, 05:29 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EvoCarl

It shouldnt; an Evo 1 is way faster than an early Impreza, only an STI comes close; theres way less understeer too.

Simon
Old 04 April 2005, 05:47 PM
EvoCarl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Price and better trim; as I buy in Japan theyre SO cheap; nearly half the price of the 2 and 3's and the CE9a's arent really any better. I also like the GSRs (both the CD5a & the CM5a); the car from which the Evolution was, well, an evolution.

I think that youd be better off comparing early Evos to STIs rather than WRXs or RAs.

Simon

ahh you on about the 1800 gsr's?

there good little cars them and still un heard of really.

More or less wrx pace

Look wise for the early Evo's its the small 15" standard wheels that dont help the looks, Evo 3 with a decent set of 17's looks good.Better than early normal WRX but probally not as nice on the eye as say a Type R to most
Old 04 April 2005, 06:24 PM
marcymarc555
Scooby Regular

Think Alec was unlucky there as the Early Evo's are reliable.

Comparing my Evo 3 to any of my friends jap cars ( a broad range) she has been WAY more reliable.

Infact after over 2 years and 20k miles of more or less ragging the hell out of her every night I have only needed regular oil changes etc with no problems.

Heard of syncro's going in the early Evo gearboxes but not one to actually fail...Guys in NZ run 9 sec 1/4's on standard tranny as there VERY strong.

But with the Evo 3 running 1bar boost(0.7 ish standard)/air filter and a cat back zorst I out drag my friends PPP STI bugeye everytime.He gets a car length to start with on the initial second of putting foot to floor if we are rolling but soon real him in and pass.

Off the lights its no problem.

Only thing with a 3 is you cant run as much boost as the 1's and 2's because there higher compression...but your talking a 0.2 bar which is hardly going to make much diff.

There not a long distance car though, my gearing works out the same as a friends Scooby Type R to give you a comparrison.
Gear change smoother on a Scooby and they do sound better.
Evo engines sound like tractors lets face it
Seats awesome in a 3

Tuning parts very cheap for early Evo's as are the service parts.
Brakes are very bad but some UK companys have upgrades in the pipeline.

I would say my Evo 3 GSR feels at least as raw as a friends type r.

any questions just fire away.

Cheers dude ... Top bit of info ...nice1 for takin time out ....

have u got a pictures ov ure.s 4 me to have look at...would b much appriciated..

What made u get an evo 3 in the first place, ?

Do u know where there is a decent 1 knocking about 4 me to perhaps buy,?
Old 04 April 2005, 06:45 PM
stu_5
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

On paper there's very little difference perfomance wise between the early evo's and the early sti's, would expect a classic sti to go past a Bugeye sti without too much hassle also (at the far end I dont know which is quicker wrx sti ra or an evo rs, could go either way I guess dependent on the day and both are equally hardcore...) - they are very definitely quicker than a wrx and a different beast altogether to a uk car however.

Considered both when I went for my v2 sti 555, but was put off by the stories of the poor gear change on the evo and the looks of it. Would have gone for an evo 4 however but if I could have afforded that an sti type-r could have been found for similar money, which is to my mind a better car.

With regard to parts/servicing on an older car there's a lot more people out there for the Impreza than the Evo as there's far more of them around which is another advantage, and it'll be easier to find a mint sti than an early Evo in similary good condition.

Not sure how insurance compares- wouldnt be suprised if the Evo was more costly though.

I'd take an early classic wrx sti every time myself as an overall package compared to a evo 1-3 for those reasons.

Of course I'm biased however!

Last edited by stu_5; 04 April 2005 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04 April 2005, 06:54 PM
EvoCarl
Scooby Regular

Have a look on MLR for some for sale

taking some pics tomorrow/maybe tonight so will post some.

As for reason I went for one well basically all my friends had scooby's/Pulsars/GT4's and I wanted to be a bit differant and have something rare.

Well rare as in 2 years ago..they seem to be getting more popular

There practical as well.

Alot of room in car, boot is massive and plenty of room in back for passengers etc
Old 04 April 2005, 07:03 PM
EvoCarl
Scooby Regular

Quickly poped outside and grabbed a side pic.

Not sure how to posts pics here but heres link

http://www.evocarl.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/big.JPG

Last edited by EvoCarl; 04 April 2005 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04 April 2005, 10:06 PM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

There's a good vid of Impreza v evo. I can only direct you to a thread here:
http://www.jref.com/forum/showthread.php?p=119328
Go to post 19 where there's a link. right click & save as. Be warned it's 350 Meg. but well worth it imho
Old 05 April 2005, 12:44 PM
marcymarc555
Scooby Regular

Quickly poped outside and grabbed a side pic.

Not sure how to posts pics here but heres link

http://www.evocarl.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/big.JPG

Top man Carl,,,,,

Love the car,,i think yellow is the best colour for an e3,,,or even white with white wheels.

So i take it uve had ures 2 years..............and u havent had no probs......?
Old 05 April 2005, 02:08 PM
marcymarc555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Houghton
There's a good vid of Impreza v evo. I can only direct you to a thread here:
http://www.jref.com/forum/showthread.php?p=119328
Go to post 19 where there's a link. right click & save as. Be warned it's 350 Meg. but well worth it imho

Cheers for that mate...
Its sayin i havent got the software to play it, and its not available on the server,,ive never known that happen before...

any ideas? any 1?
Old 05 April 2005, 05:51 PM
EvoCarl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by marcymarc555
Top man Carl,,,,,

Love the car,,i think yellow is the best colour for an e3,,,or even white with white wheels.

So i take it uve had ures 2 years..............and u havent had no probs......?
No problems

Syncro is starting to crunch now and then in 3rd though, not expensive job and there very easy to work on.

Syncro's are known to wear on the early Evos, probally because of the gearing you really rattle up through the gearbox quickly and 2nd to 3rd in the heat of the moment you tend to just chuck it in .
Actual gearbox is strong though.

Oil change every 4k(6k book i think) , done this with any car I have owned so not a short interval for me.

Another known problem is they tend to tap on startup and sometimes when hot if a oil change is needed, perfectly normal and you can buy uprated lifters to cure the problem if it annoys.
This problem and the syncros are really the only common things I can think of, dont think I have heard of anyone on MLR blow a diff/gearbox.

I would say though that the worst area of the car is the brakes...not Pulsar bad but not far off.They do stop you very well...once or twice
My next upgrade when theres a set finally finished from some of the dealers on MLR.

on the brighter side of things you have a front mount and oil cooler as standard and obviously they run the 4G63 so a endless amount of tuning options.
I also like the steering as its very positive with very few turns needed from lock to lock. I actually noticed in my friends Type r he was having to work the steering wheel alot, far quicker rack on the Evo.
The seats are fantastic and give better support than pretty much any other seat I have sat in

Like I have said before though there not great motoway cars, cruising at 90 would be about 4.5k

as you can probally guess I am very pleased with my choice of car, with friends pulsars eating gearboxes every 5 mins and 2 of my friends losing engines in there scoobs i'm very pleased of how she has stayed in one piece.
Old 05 April 2005, 06:23 PM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by marcymarc555
Cheers for that mate...
Its sayin i havent got the software to play it, and its not available on the server,,ive never known that happen before...

any ideas? any 1?
I seem to remember a similar problem. Try a search on the net for an avi player or try posting on here in 'Computer Related' it's worth it in the end and may answer your original question (not as well as Evocarl is doing though)
Old 05 April 2005, 06:48 PM
EvoCarl
Scooby Regular

to play the file 'VLC player' will do it

do a google search for it cant remember its web page.

That impreza v Evo is from best motoring and is very good.Shame they chuck in a standard Evo 2 and every other car was tuned!

I have links for most there stuff inc the new 'factory fighters' which includes the Spec c and Evo 8 MR RS, good battle that one
Old 05 April 2005, 07:52 PM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

I have links for most there stuff inc the new 'factory fighters' which includes the Spec c and Evo 8 MR RS, good battle that one
Any chance of sharing those links please?
Old 05 April 2005, 08:11 PM
hugo
Scooby Regular

I've a mate who has had 2 diffs in under a year in an Evo 4
Old 05 April 2005, 08:29 PM
EvoCarl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hugo
I've a mate who has had 2 diffs in under a year in an Evo 4
Yep AYC unit on 4 onwards.