Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Daytona Subaru Launch (Karting).

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2005, 12:30 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Daytona Subaru Launch (Karting).

I have been invited to the launch of the new 210cc Subaru engined Karts at the Daytona facility in Milton Keynes.

The event is happening tonight and I am going to be taking part in a 1.5 hour 'endurance' event.

To be honest the invitation came out of the blue and I know very little about this engine/kart. Is anyone else going tonight or had any involvement in or knowledge of Subaru powered karts.

I must say I'm pretty excited, the fact that the event is outdoors and looks likely to be wet is bound to add to the factor.
Old 04 April 2005, 02:01 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that sounds cool i love karting, been to daytona a few times as im in MK....great track...do they have a burble though
Old 04 April 2005, 02:22 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

AFAIK we've got the full international track tonight (1.36km), I've heard good things about it but haven't driven it myself.

I'm sure it will be great fun and I will try not to get too frustrated as the smaller/lighter guys disappear out of every corner. 6'3 isn't the ideal karting height

Will keep you posted on the burble
Old 04 April 2005, 04:43 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I knew you weren't 7 foot, now I have proof!
Old 04 April 2005, 04:45 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

the full track is a blast, just make sure you dont overcook it in to the bottom bend as you might end up on the west coast mainline

Hope you have a goodun.
Old 04 April 2005, 05:49 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

Should be funny driving with your knees around your ears max
Old 05 April 2005, 11:55 AM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Adam M - I keep telling you I'm not that tall but you just don't listen. http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=413906 - post 126

We arrived last night and after being subjected to the Danni Behr/Shane Richie briefing *shudder* we were split into teams of 4. Seeing as the guy I went with is 6'4 we were pretty pleased to be paired with a shorter couple of lads who claimed to know what they were doing.

10 minutes before the start of practice/qualifying the heavens opened. 20 minutes after it started raining we realised that our new teammates, whilst being great fun, couldn't really drive for toffee.

Having seen the teamlist, which included guys from Jordan F1, Renault F1, Prodrive, Subaru UK, Autosport, Track & Race Car, Dunlop etc etc, we realised fun should be the order of the day and any hope of a good result was scrubbed. We agreed on driving for 10 minute stints and having 2 short sessions each - never going to be fast but would give us all a chance to compare notes (read: laugh at each other).

An hour and a half later we were all soaked and giggling madly having finished 25th (of 28 ).

The karts themselves were pretty impressive but made so much more difficult in the wet as the torque arrived so early and all at once. Modulating the throttle was so hard as it really was like a switch. Subaru/Robin have developed some restrictors for the exhaust which smooth the power delivery but as there were so many experienced drivers at the event these were left off .

The evening was great fun and there were some pretty handy drivers there (smug short-*****!! ).

I'm surprised there was nobody from here as there were a lot of Imprezas in the car park.