2 week report on MY05 STI

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2005, 01:44 PM
What if ?
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 week report on MY05 STI

Well pleased so far, only gripes are as follows:-

1)Windscreen wipers......what a joke (changed them in the end, fine now)
2)Stereo is a bit pants, but better than nothing
3)Paintwork is covered in fine polishing scratches (being re-valleted at 1st service)
4)When cold (first 15 mns) changing down to 2nd or 1st is very hard

Anyone else experienced any if the above ?

Other than that, what can I say.... fantasic and I cant believe how much more torque my car has between 2800rpm and 3400 over the MY04 I test drove with 1800 miles on it. Feels prodrived already. Cant wait to get ot above 4000rpm on saturday.
Old 04 April 2005, 01:52 PM
The Incredible Hulk
Scooby Regular

ref fine scratches how is it being washed, by hand and with a clean sponge by you?. I know its a bit obvious but I was wondering how it happened. It'll be relatively easy to remove, the main thing is to get yourself on to the cleaning scripts and learn how best to take care of your new purchase.

Kevin
Old 04 April 2005, 01:54 PM
dazc
Scooby Regular

Any pictures of the new purchase?
Old 04 April 2005, 01:56 PM
budgie55
Scooby Regular

Agreed on the wipers going to ask that they change mine at 1st service as I can see fek all when it rains (smeary wind screen anyone :/ )

Agreed on the gears 2nd to 1st etc mine can also be quite stiff until the box warms up ... I'm guessing it will loosen up though once run in (only on 650miles atm).

Stereo I find OK but then again I'm not a stereo junkie.

Paint etc... thx for the info dont think I will let them valet it on its first service.

Fuel consumption is a monster to atm I was putting about £10 of diesel a week in the TDi but its around £30 per week in optimax at the moment in the scoob hehehe (I was expecting the fuel to be bad but not quite as bad as this - the smiles more than make up for it though ) ... but coming from a Golf TDi is to be expected I guess. Miss the low down torque of the Golf but higher up the range is where the scoob shines.

Oh and the handling is amazing .. never felt so safe in a car!.

Allan
Old 04 April 2005, 02:07 PM
What if ?
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Incredible Hulk
ref fine scratches how is it being washed, by hand and with a clean sponge by you?. I know its a bit obvious but I was wondering how it happened. It'll be relatively easy to remove, the main thing is to get yourself on to the cleaning scripts and learn how best to take care of your new purchase.

Kevin
Saw the scratches before I washed the car for the first time. It had more polishing scratches on it than the 2 year old Clio Cup I sold to get it.

I am very careful when washing, I use Autoglym products and have 3 sponges:- 1 for wheels one for top half of car and one for bottom half of car.

It is only evident in direct sunlight, when the sun is not directly on the paintwork it looks awsome. When the sun it on it it looks like someone has been ice skating on it. It has 2 x 8 inch long scratches on the drivers side wing that have marked the lacquer so they will need cutting down a bit. the rest will hopefully come out whith a decent polish.

My guess is it was washed in the morning and polished in the afternoon.
Old 04 April 2005, 02:10 PM
The Incredible Hulk
Scooby Regular

Looks like you know your onions (where does that saying come from?) apologies for the cleaning suggestion. Similar scratches on parts of my green wagon which scratch X removes during a full blown clean - however, they tend to return quickly.

Kevin
Old 04 April 2005, 05:39 PM
zappa
Scooby Regular

Up to 6,500 miles on mine. Agree with comments on wipers, stereo sucks, but stick infinity reference 650's in the front doors (that also have separate crossover (tweeter)) and the difference is immense.

I have a black one and the paintwork is kin awful. Supermarket scratch on drivers door looks like a bottle cap (fuggers!)

My best experience to date was in the snow a few weeks back. six cars, including brand new Audi A4 convertible stuck half way up a hill. I just locked my diff (DCCD) and sailed past, beautiful!!

However...very, very tempted to purchase PPP at 10,000 mile service, low down grunt not the best and it is simply too quiet for my liking.

Trending Topics

Old 04 April 2005, 05:55 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zappa
My best experience to date was in the snow a few weeks back. six cars, including brand new Audi A4 convertible stuck half way up a hill. I just locked my diff (DCCD) and sailed past, beautiful!!
Was this with the standard RE070 bridgestone tyres too?
How steep was the hill?

Shaun
Old 04 April 2005, 05:58 PM
mickyjeff
Scooby Regular

had mine a month
wipers are sh-t
stereo is awful turners in sunderland for that one
gears no problems
never let main dealers valet your car they will ruin it 33 years in the trade
PPP next week cant wait
seen a lot on mpg on the site lately who cares its a scoob for christ sake
enjoy them all

mickyjeff
Old 04 April 2005, 06:03 PM
zappa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
Was this with the standard RE070 bridgestone tyres too?
How steep was the hill?

Shaun
Standard tyres. The hill is effectively a 45 degree left hander at the apex so most cars take it in first to maintain momentum. Can do it in second in the scoob normally, but need a run up

It is on my way home from work and I have seen quality cars lose traction in the dry due to the severity of the bend.

The snow incident made me fall in love with the car all over again
Old 04 April 2005, 07:01 PM
Scooby Nad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by What if ?
Other than that, what can I say.... fantasic and I cant believe how much more torque my car has between 2800rpm and 3400 over the MY04 I test drove with 1800 miles on it. Feels prodrived already. Cant wait to get ot above 4000rpm on saturday.
Does the MY05 differ that much from the MY04? I'm in the process of buying a STI but not sure if I should go for a MY04 or pay more for the MY05

Any advice welcome

Nad
Old 04 April 2005, 07:04 PM
budgie55
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Nad
Does the MY05 differ that much from the MY04? I'm in the process of buying a STI but not sure if I should go for a MY04 or pay more for the MY05

Any advice welcome

Nad
Quite a few differences check out the news section on subaru.co.uk

linkage ... http://www.subaru.co.uk/IMGGB/WWW/Su...zas-150904.pdf
Old 04 April 2005, 07:07 PM
New_scooby_04

Talking

I am very careful when washing, I use Autoglym products and have 3 sponges:- 1 for wheels one for top half of car and one for bottom half of car.

I thought I was the only one who used three sponges. Though I have one for the wheels, one for the bodywork, and one for the wheel arch linings mudflaps etc.... I feel less werid now, but no less sad!

All the best with the car.

NS04
Old 04 April 2005, 07:10 PM
Scooby Nad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by budgie55
Quite a few differences check out the news section on subaru.co.uk

linkage ... http://www.subaru.co.uk/IMGGB/WWW/Su...zas-150904.pdf
Thanks for the link. Been tracking the STI prices for a while, the MY04 seem to go for around £18.5K whereas the MY05 go for around £22K. Therefore, I was wondering if the differences are really worth paying £3K - £4K more

Nad
Old 04 April 2005, 07:55 PM
mickyjeff
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
I thought I was the only one who used three sponges. Though I have one for the wheels, one for the bodywork, and one for the wheel arch linings mudflaps etc.... I feel less werid now, but no less sad!

All the best with the car.

NS04
NSO4 there is more of us out there mick
Old 04 April 2005, 08:14 PM
What if ?
Scooby Regular

Oh yes, forgot to say 920 miles on it now and there's nothing wrong with having three sponges !!

I'm really worried about the dealership geting in the valet crew again to sort the scratches, as it was probably the sames ones that did it in the first place. What can I do as I'm in there hands as they are sorting out what they have done. The main problem is the two on the front wing that really show, the rest I could probably keep at bay with Autoglym polish and the gold show room gloss afterwards, but that's not the point. It is alot of work to do it all though and they did it.
Old 04 April 2005, 08:32 PM
mickyjeff
Scooby Regular

Oh yes, forgot to say 920 miles on it now and there's nothing wrong with having three sponges !!

I'm really worried about the dealership geting in the valet crew again to sort the scratches, as it was probably the sames ones that did it in the first place. What can I do as I'm in there hands as they are sorting out what they have done. The main problem is the two on the front wing that really show, the rest I could probably keep at bay with Autoglym polish and the gold show room gloss afterwards, but that's not the point. It is alot of work to do it all though and they did it.
tell them you want a respray mick
Old 04 April 2005, 08:38 PM
What if ?
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by mickyjeff
tell them you want a respray mick
Now you are starting to worry me. If it needed a respray I would get my money back and burn them down !!
Old 04 April 2005, 08:51 PM
mickyjeff
Scooby Regular

Now you are starting to worry me. If it needed a respray I would get my money back and burn them down !!
ok if the goods are damaged you are entitled to your money back or ask for a replacement just trying to help i never let dealers valet my cars for this reason they dont change the polishing heads enough and the end result is what you have if it wont cut out what else can you do mick
Old 05 April 2005, 02:44 AM
furrydice79
Scooby Regular

my MY05 sti has now done 1500 miles, it was a bit tight before the 1st service and is still a bit tight going from 2nd into 1st,,,the wipers are great on my car, the stereo is crap but im gna sort that out with a good install after ive raped the piggy bank for the PPP, as for MPG, well i wouldnt know as i just fill it up when its empty, i didnt buy a scooby to keep an eye on the MPG., i have got a shell card now to top up my airmiles,another couple of weeks and my erratic drving/fuel consumption should have paid for a return to venice..
Old 05 April 2005, 07:57 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Glad to see everyone has pants wipers and thus changes them. I complained about mine and they pretty much said - 'we've given them a clean and they should be ok'. No, cleaning pants wipers does not make them work - it just means I now have CLEAN pants wipers. Got Bosch ones from Halfords which have also been great and they of course worked a treat. Plus, interesting to see the standard wipers do not have an aerofoil - another reason to change the Bosch ones which helps them adhere that much better.

Seems I was the only one to have a non-straight steering wheel - although this was sorted as well after a bit of hassling!
Old 05 April 2005, 07:57 AM
What if ?
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickyjeff
ok if the goods are damaged you are entitled to your money back or ask for a replacement just trying to help i never let dealers valet my cars for this reason they dont change the polishing heads enough and the end result is what you have if it wont cut out what else can you do mick
I wasn't having a go at you, just a bit stressed as I think I have a potenially good one for performance, as low down torque is better than previous ones I have driven / test driven and I would like, if possible to retain this one. I think I will be firm with them when I drop the car off for them tp ensure they get it right as I will not be happy if they make it worse.

Thanks for all the help / comments from you all, I hope to be a bit more relaxed after Friday and get to enjoy the car much more when I have this episode behind me.

Just have to wait for the PPP to be delivered now as it was supposed to be fitted on Friday this week but they called me yesterday to say it is on back order and may take 5 - 7 weeks to come through now.
Old 05 April 2005, 08:00 AM
What if ?
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mightyyid
Glad to see everyone has pants wipers and thus changes them. I complained about mine and they pretty much said - 'we've given them a clean and they should be ok'. No, cleaning pants wipers does not make them work - it just means I now have CLEAN pants wipers. Got Bosch ones from Halfords which have also been great and they of course worked a treat. Plus, interesting to see the standard wipers do not have an aerofoil - another reason to change the Bosch ones which helps them adhere that much better.

Seems I was the only one to have a non-straight steering wheel - although this was sorted as well after a bit of hassling!
My steering wheel did seem slightly set to the left, but as the tyres have scrubbed in it seems almost none existant now. I was going to mention it for this Fridays service but thought they may think me too picky as it is so slight now you only notice it in certain conditions and certainly not all the time.
Old 05 April 2005, 09:00 AM
mickyjeff
Scooby Regular

I wasn't having a go at you, just a bit stressed as I think I have a potenially good one for performance, as low down torque is better than previous ones I have driven / test driven and I would like, if possible to retain this one. I think I will be firm with them when I drop the car off for them tp ensure they get it right as I will not be happy if they make it worse.

Thanks for all the help / comments from you all, I hope to be a bit more relaxed after Friday and get to enjoy the car much more when I have this episode behind me.

Just have to wait for the PPP to be delivered now as it was supposed to be fitted on Friday this week but they called me yesterday to say it is on back order and may take 5 - 7 weeks to come through now.
no probs mate i didnt take it that way, couple of suggestions if dealer cant put it right and your right BE FIRM 1) try colour coded t cut and see if that helps 2) if thats no good go to a proper motor trade supplier you know the ones that do trade only but have a little counter at the side dont know where you are we have fleet facters, woodheads serck services and get yourself some fine cutting compound that the trade lads use you will be surprised how good it is be careful with it though use a very small amount then use the coloured t cut clean and a good megiars polish sorry if its spelt wrong and that should put the bu--ers to bed.
if none of the above works get yoursself to stockton and i will see if i can banish them for good.
good luck
mick
Old 05 April 2005, 09:18 AM
The Incredible Hulk
Scooby Regular

Alternativey if you've got the time go to a paint shop which has a great rep and get a written quote off them for the work. When you go to the dealers show them the quote detail, point out what you are not happy with and make it clear what you expect done - i.e. for it to look brand new as that is what you bought, a brand new car! Don't ever feel akward about being picky, you've just spent over £20k with them!!!! You need to be very firm with this and note everything, especially about giving them a change to repair their 'handy work'. Don't let it drag on either. The advice on repairs from the guys is excellent, but, this is a brand new car damaged by the dealer!

Kevin
Old 05 April 2005, 09:21 AM
terryb
Scooby Regular

Well pleased so far, only gripes are as follows:-

1)Windscreen wipers......what a joke (changed them in the end, fine now)
2)Stereo is a bit pants, but better than nothing
3)Paintwork is covered in fine polishing scratches (being re-valleted at 1st service)
4)When cold (first 15 mns) changing down to 2nd or 1st is very hard

Anyone else experienced any if the above ?

Simon - You have PM.

Terry
Old 05 April 2005, 12:08 PM
mickyjeff
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Incredible Hulk
Alternativey if you've got the time go to a paint shop which has a great rep and get a written quote off them for the work. When you go to the dealers show them the quote detail, point out what you are not happy with and make it clear what you expect done - i.e. for it to look brand new as that is what you bought, a brand new car! Don't ever feel akward about being picky, you've just spent over £20k with them!!!! You need to be very firm with this and note everything, especially about giving them a change to repair their 'handy work'. Don't let it drag on either. The advice on repairs from the guys is excellent, but, this is a brand new car damaged by the dealer!

Kevin
mickyjeff
Old 05 April 2005, 02:00 PM
What if ?
Scooby Regular

thanks for all the advise - strong words with the dealer methinks. Or never leave it in the sun and it looks fantasic !
Old 05 April 2005, 06:00 PM
Jen_M
Scooby Regular

My MY05 STi has now done just about 700 miles. So far my wipers are great.

I had a MY01 WRX before as you say furrydice79 just fill up with Optimax when needed, I could not tell you what MPG I got.

Suppose I will have to give it a wash before I take it in for the first service, the wheels are looking a bit dirty - any suggestions on what to clean them with?

Jen
Old 05 April 2005, 07:28 PM
budgie55
Scooby Regular

I use MC2 from Waxwizard (on these forums somewhere). Its PH Neutral so is kind on your wheels and your skin

Seriously it doesnt fek the laquer or the paint on the wheels. Its very good stuff. Smells like oranges to

Wonder wheels is also OK if used not very often. Its acidic or alkaline forget which and hence can over time damage the laquer and paint on your wheels

Allan

Quick Reply: 2 week report on MY05 STI