Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Get another Scooby or Get Cupra R ?

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2005, 09:30 PM
Shropshire-Guy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Get another Scooby or Get Cupra R ?

Right the time has come to get rid of present scoob. Present one is My98 with 99,900 on the clock . Have had leggy turbo and a classic. Have thought about P1 but they to are getting old and some have been abused. looked at RB5 etc. Now as i see it i have 2 options. Get either a another scooby or go for Seat Cupra R. Anybody give me some thoughts on what 2 do as im buggered if i can make my mind up.

Love the looks of scoob.

Love the sound of scoob

Fuel consumption, well thats not an issue .

Downside of scooby is u carnt just park it anywhere.

love the handling and road holding

Cupra R.

love the look of them . especialy in Black

Fuel consumption not an issue.

U can park them and not worry as much.

Pity not AWD then they would be fun .

Have no idea about insurance on Cupra, but wud imagine more friendly price.

Anyone want to add anything or have driven both and could give me a good comparasine on the pros and cons.

SG
Old 04 April 2005, 09:48 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Humm....what can i say!I have 98 turbo scooby and I love it
I would only go for better scoob personally.
You will miss scoob for sure!
Old 04 April 2005, 09:52 PM
scoobiecookie
Scooby Regular

to be honest i think its a silly question you got the choice of the scooby performance and also the best bit the community or the cupra R to me there be no question get the cupra and be just another face get a newer scooby and stay a member of a great community but what would i know im just a memeber of a great community
Old 04 April 2005, 10:09 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Mmm nice

Didn't these have 4x4 when they first came out?
Old 04 April 2005, 10:42 PM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daz34
Mmm nice

Nope!
Old 04 April 2005, 10:44 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Sorry I dont think Cupra thingy is so good
Scooby is better
Old 04 April 2005, 10:46 PM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Went from a 2000 impreza to a standard cupra (not r) ... never looked back, enjoyed the scoob (had it 3 years), glad to say I had one but the cupra is a differene league as a liveable car (cheaper, quieter, more discreet). The cupra has to go to make way for for a company car .... if I had to buy my own again I would look at the cupra r or the cupra tdi if I was doing a lot of mileage... easy to have more fun in the cupra without being consistenly in licence loseing areas

Old 04 April 2005, 10:51 PM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by C2forWRX
Nope!
Yep

There was a few special editions

http://translate.google.com/translat...n/leonlars.htm
Old 04 April 2005, 10:52 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

200+bhp I would want rwd or awd tbh
Old 04 April 2005, 11:29 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by C2forWRX
Nope!

Originally Posted by DemonDave
Yep

There was a few special editions

God I hate always being right
Old 04 April 2005, 11:30 PM
RB5RLP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrisp
200+bhp I would want rwd or awd tbh
RB5 is the way forward, only 444 made and the best UK scooby, well I am bias, great interior, and exterior and very exclusive compared to most....
Old 04 April 2005, 11:40 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Mmm nice

Mmmm.. Black! What else? Oooh, red callipers

OK, it looks nice but...... you don't want one
Old 04 April 2005, 11:47 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Soulgirl
Mmmm.. Black! What else? Oooh, red callipers
red Brembo callipers
Old 05 April 2005, 08:03 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Cupra R is a good car without a doubt, and given your looking at two cars - one with a poor and cheap interior and one with a - poor and cheap interior you'll be OK looking at both. As chaps have said, the fuel consumption on the SEAT will be better, not leats because of the 2wd, but depends if you want to mod it at all. 225bhp on the Cupra-R (latest) is about top whack. I was tempted with a new R simply because I knew with some tuning I could get 260+ out of it. Great, until I drove one in the damp and found the torque steer aweful at that kind of power levels - so in the wet it would be shocking. Hence realised that SEAT had rpobably bumped it to as much as they could. Plus insurance was cheaper and the car was cheaper in the first place by about 3-4 grand. It's not a bad car really for the money and will probably have good build quiality over time. Drive them back to back and see what feels best
Old 05 April 2005, 08:09 AM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by scoobiecookie
to be honest i think its a silly question you got the choice of the scooby performance and also the best bit the community
What community? The chavs or mcdonalds crew?
Old 05 April 2005, 09:19 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My brother has just had the same dilemma....he chose the Cupra R.

He has had a MY99 Turbo from new and has just part-ex'd it for a Cupra R (inc. REVO Technik Upgrade), picks it up on Saturday! Will let you know the outcome!

The figures look pretty impressive!

Should be interesting in the wet!
Old 05 April 2005, 09:26 AM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5RLP
RB5 is the way forward, only 444 made and the best UK scooby, well I am bias, great interior, and exterior and very exclusive compared to most....

Its okay I have a JDM Type RA LTD (less than 20 in the UK) with 315bhp
Old 05 April 2005, 10:46 AM
RB5 Paul
Scooby Regular

red Brembo callipers

You mean these babies?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...esCloseWeb.jpg
Old 05 April 2005, 10:53 AM
thanuk
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs down

A friend has a Cupra R. There's nothing wrong with it but it's as dull as dishwater.
Old 05 April 2005, 12:06 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by thanuk
A friend has a Cupra R. There's nothing wrong with it but it's as dull as dishwater.
'S what I'd heard

Thought of an Ibiza TDi 160?

Alcazar
Old 05 April 2005, 02:12 PM
WRBlu
Scooby Regular

Drive them. I didnt like the Cupra R steering, ride or interior and bought a WRX03, I hadnt owned anything good for a while so was unbiased when i bought it. I actually preferred the std cupra 180 to drive but still the uninspiring black interior. I would guess when used in anger 225bhp thru the front wheels will be interesting particularly in the wet. The WRX is great pulling out of a wet junction turning and applying a huge ammount of power with no wheelspin, very safe and predictable handling in the wet.
Old 05 April 2005, 02:26 PM
Scrappy2
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well I went from a Scooby to a Cupra to a Cupra-R (two weeks ago)and I love it! Great build quality, looks awesome in black, that 'get out of my way' front bumper, huge wheels, tasty brakes and 270bhp is just a chip away... Yeah, it's not as good off the line as a Scooby and yeah, the traction control light goes a bit mad when your pushing on in the wet, but once on the move it can surprise an awful lot of cars on the roads. Only reason I didn't buy another Scooby was the 'image' it seems to have nowadays. One things for sure, you will miss the flat4 burble!
Old 05 April 2005, 02:34 PM
Andy-pay
Scooby Regular

Shropshire Guy,

test dorve a Cupra R back in nov, when considering same issue (I live in shrops as well)

compared to my STi PPP, the Cupra wasnt as good (obviuosly really), BUT compared to my previuos WRX, the Cupra was as good I reckon,

went over some of my favourite hunting ground (Atcham to Shrews via Uffington, and over back of Haughmond Hill), and I reckon the Cupra would easily keep with a WRX. Plenty of power, good handling (flashing traction control light, but thats what its there for) - 120mph+ easy.

i know everyone goes on about "200bhp through front wheels" blah blah blah, but TBH, the Cupra handled it really well. The guys at Carnelian SEAt were really good to - enthusiast types.

take one for a test drive - youll love it I reckon.

IIRC, insurance was cheaper than STi, but about same as WRX, if that helps.

Andy.
Old 05 April 2005, 03:48 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scrappy2
Well I went from a Scooby to a Cupra to a Cupra-R (two weeks ago)and I love it! Great build quality, looks awesome in black, that 'get out of my way' front bumper, huge wheels, tasty brakes and 270bhp is just a chip away... Yeah, it's not as good off the line as a Scooby and yeah, the traction control light goes a bit mad when your pushing on in the wet, but once on the move it can surprise an awful lot of cars on the roads. Only reason I didn't buy another Scooby was the 'image' it seems to have nowadays. One things for sure, you will miss the flat4 burble!
"270bhp is but a chip away" - aaahhh, but one hell of a chip and very close to engine tolerances from what I have heard, and I'm sorry, but 240 in a modern FWD car is just about the limit (and when I say modern, I mean modern chassis and suspension set-ups like the Astra and Focus - not the ancient chassis on the SEAT which goes back to MkIV Golf) - 270bhp in that would be great in a straight line on a dry day but this country ain't often straight and rarely that dry.

I think you'd find this was blinking aweful as well as getting through front tyres and shocks at an alarming rate. Looks good on paper but the 250bhp version I drive had pretty damn aweful torque steer and anymore than that and it would be a right pain.

Sounds good for bragging rights but that's about it.
Old 05 April 2005, 05:19 PM
Hotpants
Scooby Regular

Till about 2 minutes ago I was convinced I'd made the right choice , after 6 years of Scoob ownership , which has been all great I must hasten to add , I fancied a change & a Revo'd Cupra R seemed just the ticket (which I pick up on Saturday) , the test drive was excellent , 3rd & 4th gears in particular seemed absolutely awesome & by all accounts I like the look of them. BUT......Have been Shot down in flames in a matter of 20 posts. I really do hope all the bad things don't materialise , but if they do , well I'll save up & get something else & in the mean time will have to remember to only boot it in the DRY On a STRAIGHT bit of road !!!!!!!!
Old 05 April 2005, 07:50 PM
addy
Scooby Regular

I use to have a 180 bhp cupra and changed to a subaru.The cupra was a great car but the power through the front wheels was not that good and that was one reason i went to a subaru and not a 225 bhp cupra. They only do a 4 wheel drive in spain because its almost the same car as the audi s4,so thats what the dealer told me.Ithink its group 17 on insurance and group 16 on the 180bhp
Old 05 April 2005, 08:26 PM
burtysbugeye
Scooby Regular

I work for ford and they have just taken over seat so we get alot of these

CUPRA R's in,I have a WRX MY01 with H&S downpipe and centre pipe fitted and K&N airfilter,and i would say that the cupra r feels more or less the same speed as my wrx,only down side on the cupra is that it is front wheel drive so when you are flooring it the traction light turns into a strobe light and the wheels are just looking for grip.I no you can chip these up to 270bhp but like i say its just gonna be worse again for grip and you will go through tyres like nothing else,apart from that the cupra r just keeps pulling up the revs like a beast
Old 06 April 2005, 08:36 AM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Due to the birth of our son (and a blown engine ), I went from a cool grey STi5 Type R to a Cupra (not R).

Obviously, performance is not comparable with the Type R, but as it stands, the Cupra is a great car, and in my opinion, well built. It's good on fuel economy (the 6th gear on the m-way helps) and I feel comfortable leaving it in places where I wouldn't dare leave the Type R (pub/cinema car parks etc).

Currently thinking about up-grading to the Cupra R (225) and yes, I've thought about going back to a scoob (an STi 5 4-door is my preference) but don't think I can justify the extra insurance etc with a kiddie now!!
Old 06 April 2005, 08:46 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

I think they look great!

Old 06 April 2005, 08:48 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Quick Reply: Get another Scooby or Get Cupra R ?