Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

CAN I PUT SAINSBURYS SUPERUNLEADED IN WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2005, 08:23 AM
scooby123
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAN I PUT SAINSBURYS SUPERUNLEADED IN WRX?

as above can i put sainsburys superunleaded in my scooby wrx import 96 model?, i ususally put shell optimax in but never knew sainsbury's do superunleaded. I know it's not as good petrol but when usuing sainsbury's petrol i find it last's abit longer. cheers for any reply's
Old 05 April 2005, 08:32 AM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

I do, and have had no problems at all for the past few years...

It's all the same stuff, I doubt Sainbury's have their own refinery somewhere. Obviously petrol sales isn't their main business, hence cheaper prices...
Old 05 April 2005, 10:25 AM
mpr
Scooby Regular

i've been putting it in my WR1 since I realised I hated the local Shell people, and what a ****-take their prices are.... can I tell the difference? of course not!
Old 05 April 2005, 11:27 AM
Feffers
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Its not 'all the same stuff'. Jap cars were meant to run on 100 ron. Even optimax is only 98 so thats why people recommend using octane booster. It may run fine on it now but you wont be doing your engine any favours. Obviously this only applies to import motors...There are absolutely shed loads of posts on this here covering this .
Old 05 April 2005, 11:30 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Old 05 April 2005, 11:30 AM
scooby123
Scooby Regular

Just put sainsburys superunleaded in and it seems to be runin a lil bit smoother
Old 05 April 2005, 11:42 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Why have fillet steak when when theres perfectly good offal around, it all comes from the same cow!

Trending Topics

Old 05 April 2005, 12:02 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

It makes diddly difference - there'll always be some tekky spod who claims that it does though - 3 years of scooby ownership - almost 100,000 miles tells me different.
I came on here in 2002 and read all this polava about Optimax and was sooo religous about it (for about 3 weeks). Then thought I'd try it on BP Super (more local garage) - same car and no change in drive - hmm got me thinking - Try other super unleadeds perchance - nope still no change but HOLD ON - less than £40 per fill - hurrah... Hmm so I tried 95 ron - nope - still drives the same and now yes now less than £37 a fill - splendid... Car sold having done 75000 miles and it was absolutely fine...
My new WRX drinks total fuel - 97 ron on paydays and 95's in between ...
Just go where ever is convenient, well priced and friendly and leave the anoraks to tell you they can 'feel the difference'.
Ha Ha Haaaaaa
P
Old 05 April 2005, 12:07 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i put Asda in mine as they had a credit card pump so you didnt need to walk to the pay the bloke in the garage shop......hence i got away quicker, hence my journey was shorter....so Asda fuel made mine faster!
Old 05 April 2005, 01:35 PM
ben j
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
i put Asda in mine as they had a credit card pump so you didnt need to walk to the pay the bloke in the garage shop......hence i got away quicker, hence my journey was shorter....so Asda fuel made mine faster!
ha ha quality!

and as i said in the other petrol thread, sainsburys super is bp ultimate. watch them get filled up. its a bp ultimate truck!
Old 05 April 2005, 02:30 PM
Stevie.p
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have alway's ran mine on optimax but i agree as it has been mentioned above that shell prices are stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and obviously everybody would like cheaper petrol but running an import as i do i've heard too many stories of engines going bang after being run on normal unleaded

I'm

But at the end of the day i suppose it's better the devil you know and i will more that likely stay with running it on optimax
Old 05 April 2005, 06:42 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

Question

dont intend to rub anyone up the wrong way, but hear loads of people say in threads

'i've heard horror stories about those who've put normal UL in their scoob'

i've prob even said it myself, but how many posts have you seen saying oh no my scoobies blown up because i didnt use SUL??

or have i missed em?

i always use 97RON but dont think the extra 1 RON to Optimax is gonna make f*ck all difference!
Old 05 April 2005, 06:48 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by ben j
ha ha quality!

and as i said in the other petrol thread, sainsburys super is bp ultimate. watch them get filled up. its a bp ultimate truck!
A london bus could have an advert for kellogs on the side, is it full of cornflakes?
Old 05 April 2005, 06:56 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by S.B.
A london bus could have an advert for kellogs on the side, is it full of cornflakes?

Ill fetch me spoon
Old 05 April 2005, 08:05 PM
wideybrook
Scooby Regular

The official standard for fuel in Japan is 95 and 97 RON the same as here.

But, special fuels like Optimax is 100 RON in Japan. Later STI's were mapped for 100 RON, but some in Japan believe the older cars were mapped to 97 RON. BUT don't quote me on it because I have no proof.

A standard Version 1 and 2 WRX without faults will run of 97 RON without det.

BUT our fuel contains higher amounts of sulphur which can dilute engine oil, so you must stick to the 6,000 oil change and use a good quality oil.

(oh no, not another oil thread!)
Old 05 April 2005, 08:07 PM
Redevilwrx
Scooby Regular

DOH , That means that my Tek3 remap could have been done to UL rather than SUL (Optimax)?

Would i have got the same power figures from my V5Sti Ra 323hp , 300Lb/Ft ?

Andy
Old 05 April 2005, 08:17 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by abdabz
Hmm so I tried 95 ron - nope - still drives the same and now yes now less than £37 a fill - splendid... Car sold having done 75000 miles and it was absolutely fine...
In which case you're either got a unique map set up for NUL, or are extremely unobservent.
The extra octane definitely makes a difference between SUL and NUL. For example, IIRC for the original bugeye PPP, prodrive quoted something like 245bhp on SUL, or 228bhp on NUL - considering what people will normally pay for nearly 20bhp, doesn't sound insignficant to me.

Regarding the difference between SUL and optimax, some people claim one works better, others claim the other is better. I personally don't think the difference is that big between the two. Both are noticably a BIG improvement on NUL
Old 05 April 2005, 08:58 PM
BedHog
Scooby Regular

I've always used Optimax in my import - had a tek3 remap and was advised to keep using the Optimax so I do.....

If the cost of fuel is important to you then I think you bought the wrong car
Old 05 April 2005, 09:17 PM
ben j
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by S.B.
is a london bus a tanker? why would a tanker have the wrong writing on it for what its carrying? do you drive around with fiat on your car?
Old 05 April 2005, 09:25 PM
Feffers
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Exactly, like a lot of people here my scoob is my pride and joy (only had it a month.lol). Why **** about for a few extra quid a fill up??

Originally Posted by BedHog
I've always used Optimax in my import - had a tek3 remap and was advised to keep using the Optimax so I do.....

If the cost of fuel is important to you then I think you bought the wrong car
Old 05 April 2005, 09:39 PM
richie rich
Scooby Regular

ffs
Old 05 April 2005, 09:55 PM
Azyman
Scooby Regular

i used Sainsbury Super for ages
Old 05 April 2005, 09:58 PM
captain ted
Scooby Regular

I use NUL in my bugeye and won't change for nobody!
Old 05 April 2005, 10:04 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by captain ted
I use NUL in my bugeye and won't change for nobody!
Shame on you! Don't you realise that you'll loose 20bhp and that you obviously don't love your car like the rest of them

Your as bad as people who'd like to know what sort of MPG can be achieved in an Impreza.

Blasphemer
Old 05 April 2005, 10:17 PM
BedHog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ozzy
Shame on you! Don't you realise that you'll loose 20bhp and that you obviously don't love your car like the rest of them

Your as bad as people who'd like to know what sort of MPG can be achieved in an Impreza.

Blasphemer
lol, maybe someone can give a definitive answer.

As the owner of an import I would rather pay £2.50 more per tankful than risk an £1800 rebuild - would have to do a lot of miles to make it worthwhile.....

Plus optimax IS a better fuel - detergents it contains supposedly keeps everything clean.

Maybe I'll try a cheaper fuel and see what my knocklink does...... But I was warned not to fit and induction kit and did (ignoring all the advice) - cost me £300 for a new MAF which it wiped out..... so probably not, I think I'll listen this time
Old 05 April 2005, 10:30 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

I think we should have a separate fuel thread forum or perhaps people could use the search facility?
Old 06 April 2005, 12:27 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The real way to tell is to have a Knocklink fitted and then you can see the difference between Optimax and the fuels with a lower RON. It really shows on a hot day!

It depends also on how you drive the car of course, redlining it and high boost levels on lower RON fuel mean shorter time between rebuilds as you might expect.

Treating it like a racing engine is fine as long as you dont mind the cost of frequently rebuilding it as you have to do with a racing engine!

Les