Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

02 WRX remap - Info needed...

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2005, 05:33 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 02 WRX remap - Info needed...

A few people have suggested I get my bog std 02 UK WRX remapped for extra power. Sounds easy enough, but I have a few questions and need your help...
What is a realistic cost to buy one of these 'remaps'?
How much more power will it give me?
What would it do (on average) to insurance costs %?
What will it do to my MPG?
Is 'Ecutek' the one to go for?
I want to do this coz my my99 with bleed valve was reaching 1.1bar boost and holding at 0.9bar and this is holding at no more than 0.7 and at low revs there's not quite the spool/pick up of my classic ...

Any ideas / knowledge of these matters welcome...Cant afford a PPP by the way!
Thanks
P
Old 05 April 2005, 06:19 PM
New_scooby_04

Cool

Briefly:

If budget is a factor. Ecutek 3 is the one to go for. Costs around £650, maybe £150 less if you get in on a group buy. You'll really need to give it something to work with to get the bigger gains though e.g. Decat exhaust. Fuel economy should slightly improve (in theory) cause of the mapping. In practice, because you'll be enjoying the extra power and putting your foot down, it'll probably get worse! Insurance depends very much on the company you're with, you MUST tell them though, as policies are based on absolute disclosure and failure to inform them would mean a refusal to pay out should you be unfortunate enough to make a claim and they found out about the modification.

Regards,

NS04
Old 05 April 2005, 06:20 PM
New_scooby_04

P.S. Decat and remap should see between 260-280 bhp and similar ft lbs of torque.
Old 05 April 2005, 06:39 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Cheers NS -nice - thanks for the info - Alas the de-cat is not an option - not when its first MOT is due in July but I'll look around for a group buy that brings it in closer to the £500 mark I think The bhp/torque figures suggest its the way to go...
P
Old 05 April 2005, 06:49 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

If you don't get a decat still worth looking at freeflow one if you can stretch to it. Like the one that comes with PPP, in order to get the best from the remap..
Old 06 April 2005, 10:13 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Abdabz
Cheers NS -nice - thanks for the info - Alas the de-cat is not an option - not when its first MOT is due in July but I'll look around for a group buy that brings it in closer to the £500 mark I think The bhp/torque figures suggest its the way to go...
P
That's not really a problem, find a frindly MOT garage that will put the centre pipe with the cat back on for the MOT and hey presto, you've passed Either that, or just Decat one part of the exhaust -the downpipe will generate the biggest gains- and leave the rest of the cats alone. If you remap without addressing the cats in the exhaust, say with just a panel filter and backbox, the gains will be smaller.

Regards,

NS04