ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

New member & Query

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2005, 12:20 PM
_dave_
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member & Query

Sorry if this post is in the wrong forum, but i could not see a newbie forum apologies in advanced

At the moment im driving a MK4 Golf GTI Turbo.. But am swiftling moving on to a Subaru Impreza

Neighbour has a Impreza WRX RA for sale, claims they are about 260-280bhp standard as it is the Rally Altered model. I have tried to find info on the web about the RA, but sadly not found anything

Could anybody enlighten me?

Thanks

Dave
Old 08 April 2005, 12:24 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi, welcome. A great place for this sort of info is over at the Subaru Impreza Drivers Club FAQ here. Your neighbour is basically telling you the correct info though.

http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm
Old 08 April 2005, 12:32 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

dave,

check here - you know you want her!!

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=416423
Old 08 April 2005, 12:34 PM
_dave_
Scooby Regular

pippyrips bit out of my price range only lookin to spend about 6k as bills are draining my bank balance away

Boost II - Had a look at that FAQ, couldnt find anything really on the RA except model numbers, found a lot about the engine of the 2ltr turbo which was helpful thankyou

Dave
Old 08 April 2005, 12:41 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by _dave_
pippyrips bit out of my price range only lookin to spend about 6k as bills are draining my bank balance away

Boost II - Had a look at that FAQ, couldnt find anything really on the RA except model numbers, found a lot about the engine of the 2ltr turbo which was helpful thankyou

Dave

...................................In Japan, home of Subaru Impreza, the standard model is known as the WRX (not to be confused with the Australian WRX). Most of the current 2 and 4 door models produce 280 PS (276 BHP), on Japanese 100 RON super unleaded fuel, and between 240 to 260 lb ft of torque. Acceleration times are close to 5 seconds for the 0-62 sprint, however top speeds are limited by Japanese law to 112 mph. A Japanese gentleman's agreement also prevents any production vehicle producing over 280 PS (276 bhp), hence a number of vehicles quote this as their standard output, but are widely accepted to produce more.. Bypassing the speed limiter and releasing more power from the engine can be simply achieved by certain under bonnet modifications, including changes to the engine management system.

Also available in Japan, are Subaru models modified by Subaru's advanced vehicle division, STi (Subaru Tecnica International). STi are responsible, along with Prodrive in the UK, for creating the WRC cars driven by the likes of Colin McRae and Richard Burns. Over the years, they have produced a number of production models (STi versions 1 to VI), in coupe, saloon and five door format. They have also released a number of limited edition models such as the V-Limited range and the 22B-STi wide bodied Coupe. Specifications for the STi models can include blueprinted engines, with different pistons and crankshaft, closed deck blocks, uprated close ratio gearbox, uprated suspension (i.e. hard!) and brakes, as well as nice toys such as water spray cooling for the intercooler, and driver adjustable differentials. STi engines rev to a 8250 rpm red line whilst the normal Japanese spec WRX's red line at 7500 rpm. Typically, the equipment specification of the Japanese WRX models are higher than that of the standard export models.

The Japanese spec WRX STi is also available as the 2-door coupe "Type R", which has the same equipment as a STi saloon plus driver-controlled diffs, and an intercooler water spray, but no ABS!.

The "Type RA" (Race Altered) is a lighter weight car with some options deleted and deemed the most suitable model in the range as the basis for a rally car. Generally they come without air conditioning, electric windows or radio, but these are available from the options list, and fitted to many road cars. The RA comes with a closed deck block, shorter gearing than standard (150mph at 8,000 rpm!), and rally style vent(s)/flap(s) on the roof.
Old 08 April 2005, 12:49 PM
_dave_
Scooby Regular

excellent thankyou boost II should have read it top to bottom really lol thankyou
good stuff! seems like this scooby is a good one to go for.. 5000£ with 49k miles. and the "death button" (intercooler spray)
Old 08 April 2005, 12:54 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

There have been many in depth posts on here about best use of the Type R/RA 's infamous driver controlled centre diff. Try a search

IMHO Type RA is a nice model one of the rawer ones and looks great. No ABS can be a pro or a con depending on your point of view.
Old 08 April 2005, 12:55 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Short ratio box may be a pain on the motorway though.
Old 08 April 2005, 01:19 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boost II
Short ratio box may be a pain on the motorway though.
In a way, but i find the additional revs/noise generated make me stick to the speed limits more easily. As you're doing higher revs than you would in a 'normal' geared Impreza at any given speed, it sounds/feels like you're going faster than you are.

Or something
Old 08 April 2005, 01:23 PM
_dave_
Scooby Regular

excellent thank you so much for the information much appreciated..

i will be using it for a lot of motorway driving. prob 70 miles a day, been told if i keep it to about 3k revs then it wont kill the petrol also possibly get a manual boost controller to lower the boost